Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

tonyburton

May 21, 2010, 10:58 AM

Post #1 of 8 (6102 views)

Shortcut

Really annoying sound on google...

Can't Post | Private Reply
Not strictly Mexico-related, but today's google doodle with its interactive pacman design has to be the MOST annoying thing ever done by that company. For the reasons behind the doodle, see http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/google-celebrates-pac-mans-30th-anniversary-doodle/story?id=10709477
The good news is that the annoying noise is not a virus on YOUR computer, it's just google's fault.
The bad news is that if you want to avoid a massive headache, you either have to mute all sound or disable any program like "Cool Preview".

bournemouth

May 21, 2010, 11:30 AM

Post #2 of 8 (6086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Really annoying sound on google...

I saw the new heading in search - but in my case, using Firefox, I have to actually click on it to get the noise. If it just came up, I'd go mad in short order.

Aack - I'm wrong - I showed it to the other person in this house, and if you stay on the site long enough, it starts playing - aaack!!!

(This post was edited by bournemouth on May 21, 2010, 11:32 AM)

johanson / Moderator

May 21, 2010, 11:49 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Really annoying sound on google...

What's worse is that if you try playing pac man, at least in my case, how poorly I played.

stevebrtx

May 21, 2010, 1:05 PM

Post #4 of 8 (6060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Really annoying sound on google...

Wow, that brings back memories and a sudden craving for scotch & soda? - haven't had that for 30 years?

johnv

May 21, 2010, 7:45 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6025 views)

Shortcut

https://ssl.scroogle.org/

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 21, 2010, 7:48 PM)

arbon

May 22, 2010, 1:43 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5994 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
or chose advanced search

then go where ever
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tonyburton

May 22, 2010, 2:02 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Really annoying sound on google...

Thanks for the suggestions. The major problem is that the google doodle (if you have google search box in your browser bar) is completely incompatible with Cool Previews, and that annoying pacman sound never would stop on its own, with or without advanced search. Fortunately, I believe that this is the last day of the google pacman doodle, so all should be back to normal sometime tomorrow.

tashby

May 22, 2010, 5:15 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5974 views)

Shortcut

The little "x" icon in the lower left corner within the rectangular "Google" graphic itself mutes it for me. In fact, I never heard the game noises until seeing this thread and going to it, then "un-muting" the sound icon. It was muted by default on my Mac using the Safari browser.

Another reason to love Apple?

(This post was edited by tashby on May 22, 2010, 5:16 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4