Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

A.Cunningham

May 20, 2010, 12:52 AM

Post #1 of 18 (12160 views)

Shortcut

Advantages of FM2

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a working FM3. Coming up for renewal in October. I was told I have an option to choose an FM2 if I wish. What are the advantages, if any, from converting from a working FM3 to an FM2? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maesonna

May 20, 2010, 3:24 PM

Post #2 of 18 (12046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [A.Cunningham] Advantages of FM2

It is the path to permanent residency. If your plans include staying in Mexico permanently, or at least for a very long time, an FM2 is what you want.

Even if you do not plan to acquire Mexican nationality, after 5 years with an FM2, you must apply for permanent residency, (inmigrado), and with that status, you no longer have to go to migración every year to pay annual fees and renew (refrendar) your visa.

A.Cunningham

May 20, 2010, 3:34 PM

Post #3 of 18 (12035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Advantages of FM2

Thanks so much for the info. One more question, if you don't mind. We've already been here for 5 years. After acquiring an FM2, do we wait another 5 years to get the Imagrado status? Thanks for your help.
Alison

Casa

May 20, 2010, 3:37 PM

Post #4 of 18 (12030 views)

Shortcut

You must have 5 year with FM2 to qualify for inmigrado status.

If you have already been here 5 years with FM3 then yes you have to wait ANOTHER 5 years with FM2. So for you, (like me) it will be a 10 year wait total....

Important note:
*With FM2 only Rentistas can have a foreign plated car in Mexico
*Can only be out of the country for 2 years total in 5 year period
*No Foreign plated car allowed in Mexico once you become inmigrado

(This post was edited by Casa on May 20, 2010, 3:43 PM)

A.Cunningham

May 20, 2010, 3:45 PM

Post #5 of 18 (12022 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Advantages of FM2

Thank you very much Casa. New to the forum and this site is fantastic. Great to get direct answers to questions without all the other "fru fra" one sometimes gets from other sites. :-)

Ustlach

May 21, 2010, 12:36 PM

Post #6 of 18 (11914 views)

Shortcut

I hoped someone else would have picked up on something you wrote: you said you have a "working FM3."

Does that mean you have an FM3 Lucrativa? Or does it mean your FM3 works, as in it functions, it does what it is supposed to do for you, it is valid, something like that?

If you have an FM Lucrativa and are allowed to work in Mexico, and you convert to a simple FM2 (I am not even aware if there are different kinds of FM2s like there are different kinds of FM3s, so please have patience with me), will you still be able to work legally in Mexico?

Does this mean, now that I have an FM2, that I can work legally in Mexico...perish the thought. I have no intention of working ever again, but I am curious about this.

A.Cunningham

May 21, 2010, 1:12 PM

Post #7 of 18 (11900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] Advantages of FM2

I have a type of FM3 which allows me to work. I'm an Artist. I have a tax # and have to pay taxes every 3 months whether I sell a painting or not. (Thank goodnes that I do sell a few.) I am in the lowest tax bracket though. That's why I asked the original question ... unsure of which would be more lucrative for me, Working FM3 or FM2. I'm here in Mexico permanently so ...

Ustlach

May 21, 2010, 1:33 PM

Post #8 of 18 (11886 views)

Shortcut

That still does not answer my question, or yours:

Can you work legally in Mexico with an FM2 visa?

tonyburton

May 21, 2010, 2:03 PM

Post #9 of 18 (11872 views)

Shortcut

Yes

mazbook1

May 21, 2010, 2:05 PM

Post #10 of 18 (11871 views)

Shortcut

Ustlach, You are just confusing things! There is no such thing as a "simple" FM2 (or a "simple" FM3), since every FM2 or FM3 has a classification as to just what you are allowed to do, yes, even a FM2 or FM3 "lucrativa".

The OP has an FM3 allowing "actividades lucrativas" that allows him to sell art work. He should have no problem whatsoever in converting to an FM2 allowing "actividades lucrativas" that allows him to sell artwork. A friend of mine just made that same, exact transition (the actividad lucrativa was different, though) with no problem at all.

I think what you are calling a "simple" FM2 is one allowing "actividades no lucrativas" where the "actividad" is "rentista". This is exactly the same as an FM3 that only allows "actividades no lucrativas" where the "actividad" is "rentista".

There are NO FM#s without the allowed "actividades" spelled out, therefore there is no such thing as a "simple" FM#.

Peter

May 21, 2010, 3:04 PM

Post #11 of 18 (11845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Advantages of FM2

Í guess I have it straight, FM-2 Inmigrante visa must also, like the FM-3, be endorsed to permit the person to work or do volunteer work.

Does Inmigrado status (after all the FM# and renewals) then permit the person to work, do volunteer work, or conduct a business, etc. automatically, without being so endorsed?

Casa

May 21, 2010, 3:28 PM

Post #12 of 18 (11830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Advantages of FM2

Yes,

One of the rights of the Inmigrado is

Realizar cualquier actividad lícita y honesta.

Realize any honest and licit activity. (although you must report changes of activity, Marriage status or change of address within 30 days).

¿Cuáles son tus obligaciones?
  • Notificar en un plazo de treinta días tus cambio de nacionalidad, actividad, domicilio y estado civil al Registro Nacional de Extranjero.
  • No ausentarse del país por más de tres años en forma continua.
  • No ausentarse del país por más de cinco años de forma intermitente en periodos de diez años, contados estos a partir de que se obtiene la declaratoria de inmigrado.
¿Cuáles son tus derechos?
  • Conservar tu calidad y característica migratoria.
  • Realizar cualquier actividad lícita y honesta.
  • Transitar libremente por territorio nacional.
  • Adquirir valores de renta fija o variables y realizar depósitos bancarios.
FROM INM website

Ustlach

May 21, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #13 of 18 (11806 views)

Shortcut

How do you figure I am confusing anything? I asked a question that was left unanswered. That was confusion.

The confusion comes from the fact that while FM3s are often discussed here in terms of rentista, lucrativa, etc. I have never seen FM2s discussed with the same breakdown, or sub-categories. For all I knew, there was just the one type of FM2. It would not have surprised me to hear someone reply saying if you want to work here you have to stay on the FM3 Lucrativa. I didn't confuse anything. All confusion could have been avoided by simply saying the same sub-classifications exist for FM2s as exist for FM3s, and that would have resolved the matter.

Don't accuse me of confusing the issue. I had a very legitimate and straight-forward question. If that confuses you, then so be it.

The matter was definitely left confused when no one answered the question.

At least one other interested poster seemed interested in the answer. He even went so far as to re-state the solution in his own words, and then he went further, asking if a person who becomes inmigrado could work, and others have weighed in with answers to that legimate question without accusing him of confusing the matter.

(This post was edited by Ustlach on May 21, 2010, 4:54 PM)

Rolly

May 21, 2010, 4:49 PM

Post #14 of 18 (11805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Advantages of FM2

From Google translator:

What are your obligations?
Report within a period of thirty days your change of nationality, activity, address and marital status to the National Register of Foreigners.
Do not leave the country for more than three years continuously.
Do not leave the country for more than five years of intermittent periods of ten years counted from those obtained by the Permanent Resident status.

What are your rights?
Keep your quality and migrant status.
Carry out any lawful activity and honest.
Travel freely throughout the national territory.
Purchase fixed income securities or variable and make bank deposits.

Rolly Pirate

Ustlach

May 21, 2010, 5:02 PM

Post #15 of 18 (11790 views)

Shortcut

So much for asking for a little patience. I admitted up front that I did not know if calling it a simple FM2 was appropriate or not, that I did not know if sub-classifications of the FM2 existed, or not, like for the FM3.

I asked for your patience and you smart-mouth accuse of me confusing the issue.

Bite Me!

mazbook1

May 21, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #16 of 18 (11792 views)

Shortcut

Ustlach, Whoa! There are only TWO classifications for FM3s, "actividades lucrativas" and "actividades no lucrativas". There are many, many categories/activities of each. "Rentista" is not a classification, it's an allowed activity. Same goes for FM2s where the holder's status is "inmigrante". Then there are two classifications and many categories/activities of each, just like the FM3s. Only the sixth year on FM2 that gives the holder the status of "inmigrado" could possibly be called a "simple" FM2.

I've always found that explanations are easier IF everyone is using the same accepted terminology. Otherwise, confusion reigns. Your terminology was incorrect, therefore you were confusing others.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on May 21, 2010, 5:19 PM)

Ustlach

May 21, 2010, 5:07 PM

Post #17 of 18 (11783 views)

Shortcut

And I said I was not sure if it was a correct term and I asked for patience, and what did I get?

Maztex

May 21, 2010, 6:38 PM

Post #18 of 18 (11762 views)

Shortcut

Ustlach, Mazbook has a tendency to blow up now and then. If it makes you feel any better, there are many posters -- here and other forums -- still licking their wounds from his (often misplaced) righteous indignation.

MazTex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4