Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

stevebrtx

May 11, 2010, 11:58 AM

Post #1 of 5 (6477 views)

Shortcut

Drifting satellite threatens US cable programming

Can't Post | Private Reply
http://www.breitbart.com/...4&show_article=1

Taltman, maybe you can give an idea of what, if anything, this might mean to us.

Thanks

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 11, 2010, 12:30 PM)

johanson / Moderator

May 11, 2010, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 5 (6455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Drifting satellite threatens US cable programming

To get a better feeling where the satellites are at, at the moment link to

http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html The moving bird is to the west of AMC 11 at 131 degrees W. and heading east

Whether there is anything to worry about with interference with 129 W, you know the bird with many DISH HD channels, I don't know. I guess I'm too lazy to dig into it when I know Tim will already have the answer.

taltman711

May 11, 2010, 5:51 PM

Post #3 of 5 (6441 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Drifting satellite threatens US cable programming

Whether there is anything to worry about with interference with 129 W, you know the bird with many DISH HD channels, I don't know. I guess I'm too lazy to dig into it when I know Tim will already have the answer.

The failed satellite broadcasts in the C-Band range. The Dish sat. uses ku band. So, unless they actually collide, nothing will happen with the Dish satellite. The chances of collision are quite small, as all satellites operate in a "cube" of space. In other words, it can be positioned anywhere in the cube and still be considered "on station". Echostar could and would move the sat. to avoid any chances of contact.
Both of the satellites referenced in the article mentioned by Steve broadcast in the C-Band range.

johanson / Moderator

May 11, 2010, 7:41 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] Drifting satellite threatens US cable programming

Thanks, as always Tim. I hope you come down again to visit when I'm back lakeside. I reconnected by 12 foot C band dish to get the Denver feeds from the Super Bowl for a Super Bowel party on I believe Feb. 7th. I wanted to compare the commercials between a US feed and Star Choice's feed of Seattle via Canada. I discovered that by sending the Seattle programming through Canada before retransmission that I lost some but not many of the great commercials

I'm having a little problem with the motor that moves that little pin from horizontal to vertical and back. But I don't think that I'm going to worry about it. When I checked with the programming folks at www.callnps.com , they wouldn't sell me programming more for than year 2010. Apparently they (motorola, he said) were down to 18,000 customers and that as a result thereof, Motorola? was going to stop selling anymore C-band programming, perhaps as of the end of the year.

Oh well, the mesh is much tighter than normal and I get reasonable Ku band reception there-from. I can always play around with DISH using a DISH LNB should I need a larger dish for Echo* 14

YucaLandia

May 13, 2010, 6:43 AM

Post #5 of 5 (6387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Drifting satellite threatens US cable programming

One coverage map shown on the network news projected the central Rocky Mountains as the area potentially most affected by Galexy 15's wandering broadcasts - centered around northern Utah.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4