Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Cpt. Cooper

May 10, 2010, 12:06 PM

Post #1 of 10 (10296 views)

Shortcut

smart phone service

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning a move to San Miguel D'Allende in about one year. Never got into cell phones too much here, but, now that my wife and I are are contemplating retirement in SMA, it seems like it could be very useful to have mobile internet access during the transition and for awhile. Any recommendations or comments about "smartphone" service, etc. ,,, Thanks!
Papa Conway
Conway, Massachusetts

johanson / Moderator

May 10, 2010, 12:47 PM

Post #2 of 10 (10282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Paparazzo] smart phone service

I have a friend who has a third generation (3G) iPhone here in the greater Chapala area. He bought it through Telcel. And he is always sending tweets (or is that tweats?) So yes internet via your cell phone works in Mexico. But I don't know that much about it.

chinagringo

May 10, 2010, 1:06 PM

Post #3 of 10 (10275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Paparazzo] smart phone service

If you are talking about taking a smart phone from NOB - make sure you check the carrier plans for MX before buying such. We have SPRINT and while their 3G phones do work in MX in most areas, including SMA. Usage charges are quite high. If my memory serves me correctly, phone use is $1.69USD per minute. We carry ours but limit their use.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Cpt. Cooper

May 11, 2010, 10:15 AM

Post #4 of 10 (10200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] smart phone service

Thanks for the info!!
Papa Conway
Conway, Massachusetts

raferguson

May 13, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #5 of 10 (10115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cpt. Cooper] smart phone service

Let me make some general comments:

If you live in multiple places, and/or want to check your messages on multiple platforms, (cell vs. computer), you want to make your email web based, or go to IMAP instead of POP3. In IMAP, all your emails usually continue to exist on the server, even after they are downloaded to your computer. In POP3, the emails are usually deleted from the server after being downloaded to the computer, making them hard to access if you don't have your computer with you.

Another item to consider is dumping any desk computers in favor of a laptop that travels with you.

As far as phones, let me suggest using Skype to lower your international call costs. You could even forward your US cell phone to Skype, and then let Skype ring your computer and/or your mexican cell phone.

I suggest that you get a US phone that you use NOB, and a Mexican phone that you use SOB. Will probably cost less in the long run. Alternately, if you want to buy an unlocked GSM phone, you can then just switch SIM cards when you cross the border.

If your address in Mexico is going to be fixed, say in San MIguel, you don't really need a smartphone, you could just get DSL or other broadband to your home. I am not quite clear why you would need a smartphone just to cross the border. Of course, anyone doing a great deal of travel could find a smartphone attractive. And computer addicts love their smartphones.

Note that Consumer reports found that the customer satisfaction with iPhones was much higher than any other smartphone. Everbody I know with an iPhone loves it, even if they hate AT&T.

My two cents.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

joaquinx

May 13, 2010, 7:28 PM

Post #6 of 10 (10115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] smart phone service

As far as phones, let me suggest using Skype to lower your international call costs. You could even forward your US cell phone to Skype, and then let Skype ring your computer and/or your mexican cell phone.

Better to get a Skype Online number that is located just about anywhere in the US. When people call that number, it will ring your computer and you answer it with Skype. It costs the caller nothing if they are in the same area code. There is a yearly cost for this phone number but you can get a discount if you opt for the Mexico Unlimited package. That gives you free calls to landlines and cellphones in the US and Canada and discounted prices to landlines and cellphones in Mexico.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

May 13, 2010, 7:35 PM

Post #7 of 10 (10108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] smart phone service

I use Skype with phone number in LA. I am very pleased with the service.

Rolly Pirate

johanson / Moderator

May 13, 2010, 8:28 PM

Post #8 of 10 (10102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] smart phone service

When in Mexico, which is perhaps 8 months per year, I give tech support on weekday mornings at the first internet service provider, along the shores of lake Chapala, www.laguna.com.mx

We started with dialup in 1997 and now are fixed WiFi. (We still have a few dialup customers) Guess which VoIP systems we recommended when bandwidth was limited? The ones with the best compression. Ones that worked well whether we had good bandwidth or not.

Vonage was not one of them, sure it works great if you have plenty of bandwidth but not so well when the backbone was overworked, you know, when the internet is slower than usual.

We recommended and still do SKYPE, and Packet8. I happen to still use IconnectHere, which also has good compression software.

I have it used for years now, ever since Esperanza recommended it to me maybe 10 years ago

Cpt. Cooper

May 14, 2010, 10:04 AM

Post #9 of 10 (10077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] smart phone service

Thank you all for the useful info. We're not too attached to cell phones, per se, but my sense is that getting DSL service to a new residence can take a long time & we thought it might be useful to have internet access in the interim-- without having to go to the library or cafe... Now we have more info & some very useful tips.

thanks again,
Papa Conway
Conway, Massachusetts

johanson / Moderator

May 14, 2010, 11:30 AM

Post #10 of 10 (10063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cpt. Cooper] smart phone service

Also remember that there are up to four additional options for internet besides Telcel and Prodigy DSL. There is often also Cable (in Guad, its usually either MegaCable or TeleCable), fixed WiFi (Lakeside it's at www.laguna.com.mx), Hughesnet (Satellite internet) and dialup (yes there are still some folks that use dialup. Lakeside it's offered but not recommended by Laguna above).

I know, lakeside I could arrange for internet using one of those options in 2 to 5 days, and I bet you could do the same in San Miguel de Allende

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4