Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Apr 29, 2010, 8:10 AM

Post #1 of 57 (12049 views)

Shortcut

New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mexico’s immigration department (National Migration Institute: Instituto Nacional de Migración – INM) has issued changes to immigration rules to simplify and clarify the requirements for immigration to México, effective May 1, 2010. These changes greatly improve the process for DIY (Do It Yourself) folks.

FM2 and FM3 holder requirements basically remain the same, except INM is issuing smart cards to replace the paper booklets, and they will offer on-line registration for both first-time applicants and renewals, eliminating the need for first visits at a Mexican Consulate or INM office. The FMT (Forma Migratoria Turista) is being replaced with the FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple).

Applicants for Mexican visas and renewals of visas will be able to apply on-line. The current plan is for applicants to log-on with INM; create a personal account; enter personal data; and . . . 3 days later receive notification (by e-mail?) that their application has been approved or denied.
If INM approves your on-line application, the current plan is for INM to include a page/recibo for the user/applicant to print-out and take to a bank and pay. The approval notification will also include a list of the specific documents you need to bring (& number of copies required). Successful/approved application and payment will then trigger INM to issue an appointment (cita) for you to come in to INM,; submit your documents; and get your new smart-card FM2 or FM3 that same visit.

This is expected to be their routine procedure, but INM agents described that some personal situations/circumstances may require several visits. (some people are just special.)

INM agents also emphasized that the documentation requirements will be reduced. Today (April 29) INM agents at our Merida office were gently discouraging new applicants from applying, instead explaining that if they wait just 2 days, the new systems will be much faster and easier.

Note: Applications currently being processed and those filed before May 1, 2010 will be analyzed and processed based on the old/current policies, practices and procedures = booklets, lot's of paperwork, multiple visits, yada, yada, yada...

more descriptions of INM FMM, FM2, & FM3 requirements at http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...-fmms-fm2s-fm3s-diy/ & http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...ments-for-fm2s-fm3s/

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 29, 2010, 8:30 AM)

YucaLandia

May 2, 2010, 7:38 AM

Post #2 of 57 (11868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

As described in http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...-fmms-fm2s-fm3s-diy/:Mexican FMMs, FM2s, FM3s: DIY? article, the National Migration Institute (INM) has issued changes to immigration rules to simplify and clarify the requirements for immigration to México, effective May 1, 2010. Further descriptions about the INM site and new procedures can be found at: http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...plication-procedure/

It's now May 2, 2010, and the INM website for on-line applications is up and running. Here's a link to the first page for this new on-line application process plus pages & descriptions for of policies for tourists and first time visitors to Mexico: http://www.inm.gob.mx/...gratory_facilitation where only the first page and a video are in English.

I'm off to do some translating, but it all looks pretty straightforward, and I'll add more details to our blog as my Yuca-sposa translates things.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

sioux4noff

May 2, 2010, 8:28 AM

Post #3 of 57 (11852 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Steve. I'd also like to hear about others' experiences as they go through the new process.

Demonio

May 2, 2010, 8:46 AM

Post #4 of 57 (11844 views)

Shortcut

Well YucaLandia, I've looked at those new forms and procedures till I'm blue in the face and one thing's for sure -- there's NOTHING straight forward about them! Where or how, pray tell, does one apply for an FM3? Those three letters/number are nowhere to be found!

G

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

Rolly

May 2, 2010, 2:42 PM

Post #5 of 57 (11782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Demonio] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

From the new INM website, click on Vivo en México…

On that page, the first question is ¿Qué desea hacer? = What do you want to do? In the first box select
Extender la estancia

In the second box are three choices in elegant government speak:
Turista = FMM
No inmigrante = FM3
Inmigrante = FM2

The help section is only slightly helpful.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 2, 2010, 3:01 PM)

Demonio

May 2, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #6 of 57 (11764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Rolly,

Extender la estancia is -- extend your stay. I'm pretty sure those three categories are to renew your FMM, FM2 and FM3. Why not design a website, intended for ease of use, with common language. Mexican friends, who themselves are having trouble with the site's wording, believe it's to keep attorneys and others, who make a living from leeching off others, in business.

G

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

Rolly

May 2, 2010, 5:25 PM

Post #7 of 57 (11729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Demonio] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

¿Quién Sabe? If these new forms are a mystery to a Spanish speaker, what is the average tourist or expat to do?

It is incomprehensible to me that there is not an English option for these forms.

I am so glad I got my FM2 before this bomb landed.

If anyone is successful in threading this maze, please tell us how it went.

Rolly Pirate

morgaine7

May 2, 2010, 7:13 PM

Post #8 of 57 (11693 views)

Shortcut

They do have a video in English that explains how to fill out the new forms.
http://www.inm.gob.mx/...dex.php?page/New_FMM
Maybe they'll run that on flights to major cities.

For a new FM3 where it says "¿Qué desea hacer?" on the online form, I think you'd select "Realizar actividades diferentes a las autorizadas" then (under Especifique) "Cambio de característica migratoria". But few people applying for the first time would figure that out. It's all government-speak.

Kate

MaryPat

May 9, 2010, 12:11 PM

Post #9 of 57 (11457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

I just received a phone call from my husband at the cancun airport. We are both fm3 holders and our fm3s expire in august 2010. He was calling because immigration at the airport cancelled his current fm3. He was told that he has to travel to Chetumal to our local INM office tomorrow to start the process for the "cards" as they no longer recognize our fm3 booklets. Has anyone had a similar experience?

sparks

May 9, 2010, 1:08 PM

Post #10 of 57 (11435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MaryPat] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Oh boy ... I thought we'd wait till the old one expire. They must want to overload themselves. I hope they don't do that to people leaving that need to check out

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Rolly

May 9, 2010, 1:13 PM

Post #11 of 57 (11430 views)

Shortcut

I got my FM2 two weeks before the new stuff started. I asked if I should return to get the new card. I was told no to wait until renewal time.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

May 10, 2010, 10:48 AM

Post #12 of 57 (11296 views)

Shortcut

We've been jumping through INM's new hoops this morning - and here are a few tips from our blog to make things go a little more smoothly with INM's new online application process.
Surviving Yucatan: http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...res-may-10th-update/
INM webpage: http://www.inm.gob.mx/...gratory_facilitation for options in English - and then choose
"New migratory forms for Non-Immigrants and Immigrants. " to go to the forms page you need.

Online Application Notes:
As of today, May 10, 2010:
  • Applications made on Mozilla Firefox browsers are not working well (or at all) - use Internet Explorer.
  • Allow or Enable "Pop-Ups".
  • If the main FM2 and FM3 application also had dependents, you must make a separate on-line application for every dependent - describing the purpose for application and describing the relationship between the applicant/dependent and the main applicant in the comments box at the bottom of the form.
  • Be sure to enter the person's First and Middle Names or initials in the "Nombre(s)" box - EXACTLY as is listed on the person's passport. If you enter only the First Name, when the passport has both First and Middle names, then the application will not go through...
  • Do not include any dashes or spaces in your phone number entry.
  • Check all entered information before saving and then again before "approving".
  • Record the official number that INM issues for each application - when the number is displayed briefly in a pop-up box.
We'll provide more updates on this process as they become available. The new systems seems to be flying along: there were 58 new applications logged during the 15 minutes that we entered information for 3 dependents this morning.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 10, 2010, 10:54 AM)

esperanza

May 10, 2010, 11:34 AM

Post #13 of 57 (11271 views)

Shortcut

When applying for an FM-2 in Morelia, INM requires that you provide five photos tamaño infantil, in spite of the specific requirement in the online application instructions that says the photos should be tamaño pasaporte.

Judy will apply for her FM-2 this week and one of us will post back about her experience at the Morelia INM. She's already filled out the online application form (Mozilla Firefox, turned off pop-up blockers, it printed fine).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

YucaLandia

May 10, 2010, 12:07 PM

Post #14 of 57 (11259 views)

Shortcut

Latest Twists for people able to visit an INM Offfice - in addition to those listed in an earlier post today.

If you are making an application from within Mexico, currently (until things change again) it can help speed things to visit your local INM office. Here are our local Merida INM office steps for an FM2:
  • They currently want an application letter describing what you want, but they have a new twist where they require a precise legal phrase that says that everything you have written is the truth.
  • They want a copy of just your passport's photo page & personal info (not all pages), plus your passport for them to compare w/the foto-copy.
  • They want all of your previous FM2 or FM3 booklets (again no copies).
  • They use your "Pieza" number9s) from your internet application (one number per person/dependent) to pull up your information.
  • They want 3 months of documentation of Financial Support (as before), except that INM has now eliminated the FM2 credit for owning property in Mexico.
  • They want a CURP for the main applicant.
  • They do not need Comprabantes (no CFE or Japay bills needed).
  • With all the previous steps completed, they then issue you an official paper with a NIP (to check status/things online), a NUT (Numero Unico de Tramite), and your Pieza Number.
  • Now, they are again issuing special documents to allow applicants to legally travel outside of Mexico, while their FM2 / FM3 application is being processed.

They then told us to check on-line in one week (5 business days), that they expected to be ready to go on to the next step in the FM2 process. They currently expect the entire FM2 process to take about 1 month.
We'll continue to track updates as the new INM procedures evolve.
http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...plication-procedure/

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 10, 2010, 3:30 PM)

Rolly

May 10, 2010, 12:19 PM

Post #15 of 57 (11254 views)

Shortcut

Re: New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Carol Schmidt has good first-hand information on the renewal procedure on her website here.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

May 10, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #16 of 57 (11217 views)

Shortcut

Re: New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Most of this discussion here is about renewals. What about applications for a first FM3 outside México? The new INM manual seems to indicate that consulates and embassies will no longer issue FM3s, but will allow one to begin the process which will be completed later in México. True? I got an e-mail today from a couple in Canada who say the Calgary consulate tells them nothing has changed and that they can still get their FM3s at the consulate. Comments?

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

May 10, 2010, 3:28 PM

Post #17 of 57 (11201 views)

Shortcut

The information I presented was for a new FM2 application.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

skier14

May 10, 2010, 4:30 PM

Post #18 of 57 (11179 views)

Shortcut

I received my first FM2 on the 26th of April at the Guadalajara INM office. When I asked about the new card, nobody said anything about next years renewal or anything else except here is your new booklet. Photos front and side were 4cmX 4cm. Whoever typed up the booklet made several error in copying my application as far as physical description, but I figure I´ll wait until renewal time to bring it up. Also I am sure that somewhere on the web there will be a example of the citizenship exam, like I found for the IMSS questioneer.

Linda in Morelia

May 12, 2010, 3:18 PM

Post #19 of 57 (11054 views)

Shortcut

This is disconcerting, to say the least. Has anyone flown out of Mexico since May 1st with their current FM-3 that has not yet been converted to the new form?

chinagringo

May 12, 2010, 3:27 PM

Post #20 of 57 (11049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Linda in Morelia] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

The following quote is from a posting made Sunday on this forum:

"I just received a phone call from my husband at the cancun airport. We are both fm3 holders and our fm3s expire in august 2010. He was calling because immigration at the airport cancelled his current fm3. He was told that he has to travel to Chetumal to our local INM office tomorrow to start the process for the "cards" as they no longer recognize our fm3 booklets. Has anyone had a similar experience?"

By Monday morning, the post had disappeared, so I have a feeling that the "wife" misunderstood what her husband had told her on the phone?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

May 12, 2010, 11:44 PM

Post #21 of 57 (10958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

A friend of ours left Mexico in April and returned a few days ago. He said other than longer, slower lines than usual, it was no problem returning with his FM3.

MaryPat

May 13, 2010, 5:54 AM

Post #22 of 57 (10928 views)

Shortcut

My Post still appears in this thread and yes my husband's FM3 (non-inmigrante-rentista-retirado) was cancelled. After spending the next day at INM in our capital city of Chetumal the INM office there said that the INM people at the airport in Cancun had acted incorrectly. They advised him that when he leaves the country in 2 weeks to follow the procedures that we have always used in the past. Apparently when INM saw his FM3 on arrival, they gave him a new immigration form to fill out that started the whole episode ending with a cancelled FM3. INM in Chetumal assured him that our old FM3s are valid until the date they expire and the episode was another example of differing INM officials interpreting one issue many different ways.

chinagringo

May 13, 2010, 6:10 AM

Post #23 of 57 (10920 views)

Shortcut

Sorry MaryPat - I guess in my haste, I missed your original post.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

geri

May 14, 2010, 7:53 AM

Post #24 of 57 (10765 views)

Shortcut

I returned a couple days ago from the States to Oaxaca on FM3 by air. EVERYONE has to fill out a form and it's the same one for tourists (FMM) and Fm3 & FM 2 holders. The airline stewardess was new to this procedure so we got our instructions/info from the form. FM3 holders get the righthand side of the form back, to be presented when they leave the country. Or, I guess, if you were doing it the other way, to be presented upon return into Mexico. But because of the new system I had to fill out the forms, even though I had a stamped FM-3 exit form, which usually is all I need for re-entry.

The check-in people at Oaxaca airport are on a learning curve (understandably) and the usually fast/efficient process was quite slow.

sioux4noff

May 15, 2010, 8:51 AM

Post #25 of 57 (10650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] New INM Procedures for FM2s, FM3s, & FMMs

Geri, that matches the experience of a friend who recently returned to the Puerto Vallarta airport. He said the lines were slow, but then again there were 5 planes in at about the same time.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on May 15, 2010, 8:52 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4