Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

brecky

Apr 28, 2010, 10:07 AM

Post #1 of 18 (11156 views)

Shortcut

Winter stay in Veracruz city

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning on spending 2-3 months next winter (Jan - Apr) in Veracruz city. I am looking for a long-stay rental in/near el centro. I'm a well-traveled female retiree who will be there alone, so for security & social reasons, I would want a small casita/apartment in a complex or apartment block. I am prepared to book a hotel for a week or so & look around for a place once I get there, so your advice & tips re a central/budget hotel to book & advice on preferred neighborhoods to 'live' or to avoid would be much appreciated. The email address of local contacts for rentals would also be handy.

My travel photography home page:
http://www.worldisround.com/home/brecky/index.html

chicois8

Apr 30, 2010, 7:46 AM

Post #2 of 18 (11109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brecky] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Hola Becky,

Did you read the post right under yours? Recent trip to Xalapa
Unless you can stand the heat and humidity of the coast ( city of Veracruz).
Xalapa is the capital of the state (Veracruz) and is cooler and less humid
because of elevation...good luck in your quest

brecky

Apr 30, 2010, 9:46 AM

Post #3 of 18 (11096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Thanks Chico.... I think I would prefer to be in Veracruz. I will be there in winter (Jna-Mar) so the heat shouldn't be as oppressive? I'm a photographer & want to be near the colonial bdgs....

Hound Dog

May 1, 2010, 10:23 AM

Post #4 of 18 (11058 views)

Shortcut

That´s actually good thinking Brecky. Veracruz City can be either hot or cold in the winter. Xalapa is a nice city but prone to cloudiness.

Veracuz State seems to be prone to that Gulf of Mexico miserable overcast grey sky that is prevalent but the winter should be OK.

We often stay in Veracruz State but not in the city so sorry but I cannot help you.

brecky

May 1, 2010, 10:44 AM

Post #5 of 18 (11051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Thanks Hound Dog,
I just found suitable accommodations in Morelia for next winter so will be going there. It was a tossup btw Veracruz & Morelia, & Morelia won this time ;o) I plan go to a different colonial city every winter, so I will consider Veracruz again for winter 2012.

Hound Dog

May 1, 2010, 4:56 PM

Post #6 of 18 (11039 views)

Shortcut

brecky:

Morelia has an exquisite colonial center but is otherwise unremarakble. A regional burg touted by foreigners but not memorable.

I suggest:
San Luis Potosi
San Miguel de Allende
Queretaro
Mexico City
Veracruz
Antigua de Guatemala

Once you have visited these treasured places then I suggest that you move to Paris and set up residence there and forget all this Spanish Colonial crap. Paris is heaven on earth but the climate can be a trial.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on May 1, 2010, 4:56 PM)

brecky

May 2, 2010, 7:13 AM

Post #7 of 18 (11009 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again Dog,
I have been to San Miguel de Allende & area several times so I've 'done' SMA, also Delores Hidalgo, also a quick peek at Queretaro & Guanajuato (I want to go back & do both properly). Antigua is on my list, so is Oaxaca. I spent a week in Mexico City a few years ago. So many places to visit, so little time waaaaaaaa

jerezano

Jun 10, 2010, 6:58 PM

Post #8 of 18 (10695 views)

Shortcut

Hello Brecky,

If you have not yet made a commitment to rent there in Morelia, I agree with HoundDawg. With one exception. For a photographer I would suggest Mérida for the winter. Downtown Mérida has all the colonial buildings you could want, in addition a cultural program for tourisim which is outstanding, and nearby pre-conquest ruins. In addition, you may also find some of the Jute haciendas are worth a visit. Mérida at one time before the invention of nylon was one of the richest cities in Mexico so the architecture overall is outstanding. Don't go in the summer. The heat is suffocating and unbearable. By the way, the port of Progeso not too far from Mérida could offer a good photography trip as well. Not to stay, but to visit. On the way by bus you will pass many abandoned stations of the now in ruins Mérida to Progreso rail road which was used to haul jute to the ships.

Hasta luego, jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jun 10, 2010, 7:03 PM)

Peter

Jun 10, 2010, 9:52 PM

Post #9 of 18 (10672 views)

Shortcut

Morelia has an exquisite colonial center but is otherwise unremarakble. A regional burg touted by foreigners but not memorable.

C'mon, I told you I'm from Oxnard. Wouldn't that be some indication that I would find Morelia quite satisfactory?

brecky

Jun 11, 2010, 12:27 PM

Post #10 of 18 (10641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Thanks Jere,
I have been to Merida. Loved it. Went there for 3 days when I got bored in Cancun (yawn......) Had not heard of the sights near Progreso though. Thanks for the tip. I still hope to do Morelia this coming winter ;o)

brecky

Jun 11, 2010, 12:28 PM

Post #11 of 18 (10637 views)

Shortcut

hehehe Pete. I think Morelia will be much more than 'satisfactory' to me ;o)

robt65

Jun 26, 2010, 6:59 PM

Post #12 of 18 (10513 views)

Shortcut

"C'mon, I told you I'm from Oxnard. Wouldn't that be some indication that I would find Morelia quite satisfactory?"

Oxnard? . . . . . Now let me see . . . . . Is that the county of Oxnard, in the State of Ventura? or is that Endura!?!?!?!?!

Peter

Jun 27, 2010, 6:47 AM

Post #13 of 18 (10494 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Winter stay in Veracruz city

I assure you, Oxnard is a town every bit as lovely as its name.

robt65

Jun 27, 2010, 6:59 AM

Post #14 of 18 (10489 views)

Shortcut

I agree Peter . . . see my private messsage reply.

Rolly

Jun 27, 2010, 7:04 AM

Post #15 of 18 (10489 views)

Shortcut

Another hijacked thread. Oh well, since we're here...
The first time I visited Los Angeles, I saw highway signs pointing to Oxnard. I was so surprised. I had heard the word, but I thought it was one of those W C Fields made up words -- like "I'll bob you on your little oxnard."

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Jun 27, 2010, 9:24 AM

Post #16 of 18 (10472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Oxnard is and always has been a Bad Boys' Disneyland. It is a coastal city of southern California with incredible beauty with large warts hairy moles. It was named after the Oxnaed brothers that founded the city and brought it it's once largest industry of sugar beets farming and processing, but the name still sounds like it belongs more to the science of animal husbandry.

How does it relate to Mexico? Well, due in largest part to the Oxnard Plains being some of the most fertile farming soil anywhere it has attracted many migrant workers, a large portion of them from Michoacán, who came and stayed for some of the best year-around weather anywhere on this globe.

The largest sector of its population has been latino for many years and is believed that that sector is now well over 50% of its population. I was born in Oxnard and became acquainted with the Monarch Butterfly at a very young age, and a few years ago having reached retirement age I followed those Monarcas to Michoacán where I will spend my winter years.

This thread is about a winter stay and I told about mine, it just kind of missed the proper geographical forum but such is the flight of the mariposa, they are seldom seen flying in straight lines.

tashby

Jun 27, 2010, 5:56 PM

Post #17 of 18 (10441 views)

Shortcut

Oxnard is and always has been...

Can't argue with that.

I kid. As Peter knows, I was born and raised right down the road in Ventura. I'm just annoyed I can't claim Oxnard as my own so as to use it for comic fodder.

I HEART Oxnard! Gateway to Camarillo!

Which reminds me of Veracruz City, since Oxnard is in Ventura County and both that and Veracruz City could be abbreviated "V.C."

Brecky! Morelia has far prettier Colonial architecture for your camera than Veracruz City. Have fun! Take photos!

brecky

Jun 28, 2010, 9:46 AM

Post #18 of 18 (10404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Winter stay in Veracruz city

Hola Tashby - I look forward to the architecture in Morelia & area but I also hope to make it to Veracruz someday because of the mixed Mexican & Carib culture there ;o)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4