Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Hound Dog

Apr 26, 2010, 9:41 PM

Post #1 of 1 (4012 views)

Shortcut

The Train of Death

Can't Post | Private Reply
This freight train route used to start around Tapachula and head north loaded with Central Americans heading for the Promised Land but after Hurricane Stan a few years ago, the track was compromised and the railhead was, consequently, moved north to Arriaga just south of the Oaxaca State border. Unless I am mistaken, the railhead is still in Arriaga as the folks in Tapachula are not anxious to re-open that train and re-introduce its corrupting regional influences.

Tapachula is a surprisingly nice place. Funky and butt-ugly in its center but lots of wealth resides there and the city has many leafy and nice residential areas and is gifted wiith nearby beautiful highlands and a splendid seacoast. People think of it as the railhead of the "Train of Death" and corrupt officials and gangs exploiting poverty stricken Central Americans heading north and, come to think of it, they have a point but the corruption extends all the way to Seattle. All aboard!

Incidentally, the rails were originally built to connect with the old rail line at the Isthmus of Tehuantepec which was built to become a competitor of what would eventually be the Panama Canal and was to go from the port of Salina Cruz, Oaxaca to the port of Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz. My brain is filled with all of this useless information of no value to anyone - especially me. I may as well just go ahead and shoot myself.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Apr 26, 2010, 10:05 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4