Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

La Isla

Apr 23, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #1 of 24 (9680 views)

Shortcut

Sour cream in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a never-tried recipe for Ginger Cake which calls for "dairy sour cream". What would be the closest dairy product I could find here to use to make this cake?

Mil gracias.

Rolly

Apr 23, 2010, 4:05 PM

Post #2 of 24 (9674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Sour cream in Mexico?

cream = crema, nata
sour = crema agria
sweet = crema dulce
whipping = crema para batir

Crema Mexicana is very much like sour cream.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 23, 2010, 4:07 PM)

La Isla

Apr 23, 2010, 4:24 PM

Post #3 of 24 (9665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Sour cream in Mexico?

Yes, Rolly, I was thinking of crema agria as an equivalent to sour cream. Have you (or anyone else reading this thread) ever used it to bake a cake or muffins?

esperanza

Apr 23, 2010, 4:59 PM

Post #4 of 24 (9657 views)

Shortcut

Many times. It's just what you need: sour cream.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbook1

Apr 23, 2010, 7:25 PM

Post #5 of 24 (9640 views)

Shortcut

And crema acidificada, heavy cream acidified with citric acid will work for most recipes calling for sour cream. Used by itself, the flavor is slightly different than real, i.e., crema agria, sour cream.

La Isla

Apr 23, 2010, 7:40 PM

Post #6 of 24 (9632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Sour cream in Mexico?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll see which variety of crema is available at my local Superama. Hopefully, it will be the kind that most closely resemble the real stuff, the kind I used to dollop onto my Jewish grandmother's heavenly blintzes.

Peter

Apr 23, 2010, 10:41 PM

Post #7 of 24 (9622 views)

Shortcut

Alpura or Lala brands seem to be like what I am accustomed to although at times they seem thinner in consistency to certain popular US brands.

tashby

Apr 24, 2010, 5:22 PM

Post #8 of 24 (9586 views)

Shortcut

I'm making something for a party tomorrow that calls for sour cream. I just assumed I'd reach for crema acidificada, which is always (okay, almost always) available. For two years now I thought *that* was sour cream.

Tomorrow I'll see if I spot crema agria, which I've never noticed.

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 24, 2010, 5:24 PM)

Vichil

Apr 24, 2010, 6:06 PM

Post #9 of 24 (9573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Sour cream in Mexico?

Just bought Sour cream at Super Lake today.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Apr 24, 2010, 6:07 PM)

Peter

Apr 24, 2010, 7:01 PM

Post #10 of 24 (9564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Sour cream in Mexico?

I just looked at the container of Alpura in the fridge to notice it is crema acidificada as is another brand on an empty container I also had. That would explain the thinner consistency. I seem to recall seeing Knudsen brand here which might be actual crema agria, but I'm not sure about that now.

Is what you bought today the real item, or crema acidificada as now seems more common here? If so, what was the brand?

Totally unrelated but, did you guys find a copy of La Ley de Herodes and watch it yet?

morgaine7

Apr 24, 2010, 7:20 PM

Post #11 of 24 (9561 views)

Shortcut

If it's too thin, you could try putting it into a coffee filter for a while to let some of the moisture drain out. When I lived in Egypt, I used to "make sour cream" from yoghurt that way because I couldn't get the real stuff. Never used it for baking, but it was quite passable for dips or on baked potatoes and the like.

Kate

Peter

Apr 24, 2010, 7:35 PM

Post #12 of 24 (9555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Sour cream in Mexico?

Thanks, good tips. For what I use it for the crema here is OK, usually, but thin, true. I used to mix it with plain yogurt back in my previous life because it seemed to be a healthier alternative, whether or not it actually is. I may start doing that again because I liked the results and I tend to use more crema here.

morgaine7

Apr 24, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #13 of 24 (9551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Sour cream in Mexico?

Hope you have better luck than I do finding plain (read: unsweetened) yoghurt!

Kate

yucatandreamer

Apr 24, 2010, 8:17 PM

Post #14 of 24 (9546 views)

Shortcut

Alpura makes a plain unsweetened yogurt. It is regularly available at Commercial Mexicana and sometimes at the other stores here in Yucatan.

Camille

Apr 24, 2010, 8:39 PM

Post #15 of 24 (9541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Sour cream in Mexico?

And it rivals the yogurt I fell in love with in Amsterdam in the 70's....makes the BEST tzatziki!

Vichil

Apr 24, 2010, 9:01 PM

Post #16 of 24 (9535 views)

Shortcut

We watch the movie and really enjoyed it. I loved the ending...

esperanza

Apr 24, 2010, 9:39 PM

Post #17 of 24 (9531 views)

Shortcut

Alpura Natural is the only unsweetened, low carbohydrate yogurt I've found in Mexico. It's excellent. Other companies make so-called "natural" yogurt, but they all have added sugar and are very high in carbohydrates.

I usually buy fresh blackberries, mash them a bit with a little Sweet 'n' Low, and add them to the Alpura. It makes a fantastic breakfast.

mazbook1

Apr 24, 2010, 9:54 PM

Post #18 of 24 (9529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Sour cream in Mexico?

There are other, non-sweetened, completely natural yogurts made and sold in México besides Alpura. It takes darn careful reading of the fine print ingredientes to be certain though. It's been awhile since I bought any, and I'm having a senior moment over brand name(s), so I won't make a guess and name any particular brand names.

Incidentally, my experience with crema acidificada has been that if it is real thin, it is either real close or over the "use by" date. For some reason, the little store in my middle/working class neighborhood seems to sell a lot of it, so since I started buying it from them, the "use by" date has been far, far into the future and the the product is just as thick and creamy as any sour cream I ever bought anywhere. Since I use it 100% in prepared dishes, or cold sauces with lots of other flavorful ingredients (not dips, but similar), I have been totally satisfied with the LaLa Crema Acidificada (and I too use a lot of it). My rajas de chile poblano con filete de res en crema is a giant favorite of my family.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Apr 24, 2010, 9:56 PM)

Peter

Apr 24, 2010, 10:39 PM

Post #19 of 24 (9523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Sour cream in Mexico?

That sounds about right. I buy the large containers of crema, which is nice and thick when I open it, and if I'm slow in using it all it gets rather thin by the time I get to the last of it.

esperanza

Apr 25, 2010, 9:53 AM

Post #20 of 24 (9500 views)

Shortcut

I think it's worth mentioning that there are several types of edible crema available in Mexico:

--Crema para mesa, comparable to clotted cream or creme fraiche. Sweet thick cream, not acidified or soured.
--Crema acidificada, acidulated cream. Comparable to sour cream.
--Crema agria, sour cream. Comparable to sour cream.
--Jocoque--sour cream. Sometimes defined as 'buttermilk', but it isn't buttermilk anywhere I've eaten it. YMMV.

Manuel Dexterity

Apr 25, 2010, 10:15 AM

Post #21 of 24 (9497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Sour cream in Mexico?

In Reply To
I think it's worth mentioning that there are several types of edible crema available in Mexico:

--Crema para mesa, comparable to clotted cream or creme fraiche. Sweet thick cream, not acidified or soured.
--Crema acidificada, acidulated cream. Comparable to sour cream.
--Crema agria, sour cream. Comparable to sour cream.
--Jocoque--sour cream. Sometimes defined as 'buttermilk', but it isn't buttermilk anywhere I've eaten it. YMMV.

Jocoque in Jalisco is fermented milk that has most of the solids (nata) removed. It thickens naturally to a consistency of whipping cream. So it is actually more of a sour milk than sour cream.

morgaine7

Apr 25, 2010, 11:12 AM

Post #22 of 24 (9491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Sour cream in Mexico?

Thanks for the Alpura tip! Looked for their yoghurt this morning, but no luck at my usual supermarket, which usually has stuff that the others don't stock. Will keep trying.

Kate

Manuel Dexterity

Apr 25, 2010, 11:35 AM

Post #23 of 24 (9485 views)

Shortcut

A better natural unsweetened yogurt is the Lejaim brand. It is made in the Guadalajara area and not sure if it is sold nationally.

MazDee

Apr 25, 2010, 2:03 PM

Post #24 of 24 (9473 views)

Shortcut

Nestle also has a natural yogurt. It should be available everywhere. As for sour cream, the Ley stores sometimes have Lucerne (Safeway brand). Haven't seen it lately, but have no problem using crema acidificada.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4