Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alkrohn

Apr 19, 2010, 12:38 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7583 views)

Shortcut

Can you buy a car in MX

Can't Post | Private Reply
Could we buy a new car in Mexico and bring it home with us to the states when we are done with our travels?

A

Rolly

Apr 19, 2010, 1:00 PM

Post #2 of 15 (7573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alkrohn] Can you buy a car in MX

Yes, but...

You can drive the car in the USA for 12 months before you have to return it México. It is almost impossible to import the car -- get a registration and plates in the USA, so you can't sell it or keep it in the USA for more than a year.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Apr 19, 2010, 2:13 PM

Post #3 of 15 (7548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Can you buy a car in MX

I see from another of your posts that you are thinking about a long trip around the country. I think you would be better off to drive your USA car. Buying and registering a car with only a tourist visa is likely to be a long hassle and not worth the effort or cost. The car will cost more than a similar car purchased in the USA. All and all, I'd say buying in México for a vacation is not a good plan.

Rolly Pirate

mexijo

Apr 21, 2010, 2:50 AM

Post #4 of 15 (7427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Can you buy a car in MX

Should that not be by now possible - NAFTA and all?

Rolly

Apr 21, 2010, 7:54 AM

Post #5 of 15 (7396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexijo] Can you buy a car in MX

The issue in registering a car of foreign origin is compliance with USA safety and emissions regulations. If the car is not on the USA's approved list, then the procedure for meeting these requirements is mind-boggling and wallet-emptying. Almost without exception, cars sold in México do not meet USA standards.

Rolly Pirate

gpkgto

Apr 21, 2010, 8:37 AM

Post #6 of 15 (7376 views)

Shortcut

Besides what Rolly said, I think all cars cost more in Mexico.

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2010, 9:25 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Can you buy a car in MX

Some cost more and some don't. Remember that cars sold in Mexico don't have all the pollution equipment that the US cars have. The real separator is the ~15% IVA. If the car is not on the DOT list of importable cars, you can't import it. If you can't import it, you can't register it and get state plates.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Casa

Apr 21, 2010, 10:32 AM

Post #8 of 15 (7348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Can you buy a car in MX

Actually about 22.5% of the cost of a new car (depending on the model) in Mexico is tax. (IVA, ISAN, and Tenencia).

Just curious, which cars cost less in Mexico than in the US?

alkrohn

Apr 21, 2010, 10:36 AM

Post #9 of 15 (7341 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Anne

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2010, 10:45 AM

Post #10 of 15 (7336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Can you buy a car in MX

I bought a VW Crossfox for 160,000 which included IVA and ISAN, but I also looked at some of the other VW prices. Currently the Jetta sells for 179,000 to 265,000 including IVA and ISAN. In the US the range is 17,700 usd to 22,800 usd which is 216,500 pesos to 278,900 pesos which I don't believe includes tax as that depends on the state. My guess would be somewhere between 3 and 5 percent.

I am NOT saying that all cars are cheaper in Mexico. Just some.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Apr 21, 2010, 10:45 AM)

Casa

Apr 21, 2010, 11:17 AM

Post #11 of 15 (7324 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the info. I asked because I am in the market for a new car. My research has found that although some models seem to be priced lower in Mexico than when comparing the factory installed base equipment there is a substantial difference between the US and Mexican Models. AC, cruise control, Airbags, Electric locks and windows, CD/MP3 compatible, etc are all standard on US models, not the case on Mexican models.

I have seen some “for export” VW models that resemble base equipment in the US but they were much more expensive than in the US.

I am curious about the negotiation process when buying a new car in Mexico. Were you able to negotiate a lower than sticker price or was the pricing firm?

Thanks

Reefhound

Apr 21, 2010, 11:27 AM

Post #12 of 15 (7320 views)

Shortcut

His US pricing on the Jetta is MSRP and you can usually get at least 10% off that.

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7318 views)

Shortcut

I am curious about the negotiation process when buying a new car in Mexico. Were you able to negotiate a lower than sticker price or was the pricing firm?

I wasn't in a position to negotiate as I couldn't get credit in Mexico. What I got was a 70% down payment and three monthly payments of 16,000 with no interest.

As a side note: financing in Mexico is costly. A typical interest rate is somewhere between 13 to 17 percent. Ouch!
_______

Peter

Apr 21, 2010, 7:22 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7263 views)

Shortcut

I am curious about purchasing a car in Mexico when your bank is in the US. Assuming one was buying a new car and had sufficient money in a US acccount, by what means do you purchase? By check or e-transfer?

joaquinx

Apr 21, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #15 of 15 (7259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Can you buy a car in MX

No check. You can etransfer the funds to the dealers account. I transferred money from my US bank to my account in a Mexican bank. There I transferred the down payment to the dealers account. Armed with the receipt from the bank, I presented that to the dealer and picked up the car.
_______

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4