Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

moon

Oct 27, 2002, 5:40 PM

Post #1 of 4 (24627 views)

Shortcut

A respectful suggestion

Can't Post |
I am a programmer myself so I know all too well about growing pains and learning curves when a new system is introduced. This new format has some ok features but some areas are still in my opinion in need of more work or more explanation (or more practice on my part). In particular, the way of informing the user of which posts have been read or not is very confusing and I gather by other posts that I am not the only one having this problem. Here are some specific issues.
  1. I have gone through the list of steps indicated in the post titled "Hints on first using - detailed version" by the moderator and I can get the colors to change as advertised some of the time but not other times. For example, I read all the posts in a thread and when I went back to the forum the color changed from yellow to white as it is supposed to. When I went back into the thread and added a new post and went back to forum view, the color was still white instead of changing to yellow indicating the new post I had just added.
  2. Again referring to "Hints on first using - detailed version" by the moderator the following is a quote: "For a Thread that you have read, that now has a new reply below somewhere, the icon will be white/grey with a yellow color behind it." The phrase 'below somewhere' is exactly the problem I am referring to. Exactly which post 'below somewhere' is the new post?
  3. The 'Mark All Read' ability in the legend can be useful for some people but can be dangerous.I hit this accidently before I read all the posts and now I have no idea which ones I have read. An undo feature might be helpful here. Or possibly a 'Mark All Unread' command so that one can start over.

I will keep playing with this as these forums (fora?) are an important resource for me but here is a request I have for the moderator. How about maintaining the forums in both the new and old formats simultaneously for a time until the wrinkles are worked out. New posts would be posted to both formats and the user can select which format he wishes to use. I realize that server space would be a problem but it would allow some of us to get back to sharing information on Mexico rather than struggling to reinvent the wheel.

Sincerely,

DavidMcL

Oct 27, 2002, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 4 (24613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [moon] A respectful suggestion

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good comments BILL. Thank-you for your considered thoughts. To take your questions one at a time:

1. When I went back into the thread and added a new post and went back to forum view, the color was still white instead of changing to yellow indicating the new post I had just added.
The colour didn't change as it was your post, and therefore already read by you.

2. The phrase 'below somewhere' is exactly the problem I am referring to. Exactly which post 'below somewhere' is the new post?
Fair enough question.
If you open up the thread, somewhere in the threads there will be an all-yellow icon. That will be the "New" posting. It's parents (the postings to which this is a sub posting) will have the grey with yellow behind icon.
Personally, I have my display settings such that the responses are all shown as threads, not expanded like in "Flat View". This way I can quickly tell which are new as there will be a big, red, "NEW" right beside it/them.

3. An undo feature might be helpful here. Or possibly a 'Mark All Unread' command so that one can start over.

Hmmm, interesting. I will see what is possible.

4. How about maintaining the forums in both the new and old formats simultaneously for a time until the wrinkles are worked out.

In hindsight, could have done this. But it is too late now! The old one is gone as the postings were all imported into this format.

I think that some folk may feel overwhelmed by all the possibilities to play in this new setup. The thing to remember is that the bells and whistles do not really add to the information on the fora. There are tools to make finding info more easily, of making things more interesting to look at, or to allow you to keep up with specific topics, but those are all ancillary to the real purpose.
Sharing, seeking, learning and so on. And these activities can be done quite simply if you ignore the bells and whistles!

Suerte!
David McL
WebJefe

dkarp

Feb 3, 2004, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 4 (24541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [moon] A respectful suggestion

Can't Post |
Hi-

I am a new trial subscriber. Wishing this was not in Microsoft because its Messenger system is loaded with viruses, it is comparatively clumsy to use, and I do not like to support Bill Gates and his abusive corporation. I suppose folks considered all of this, but for some reasons, went ahead anyways.

However, I have gotten a lot of needed information already.

I am also new to using chat rooms and instant messenger. Compared to Yahoo, the icons are not very explanatory. Also, I have encountered empty rooms so far.

jennifer rose

Feb 3, 2004, 9:18 AM

Post #4 of 4 (24538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dkarp] A respectful suggestion

Can't Post |
Be patient. The chatrooms were unveiled only a week ago, somewhat ahead of schedule. Coming soon will be plenty of planned activity, so stay tuned for an announcement.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4