Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Poncho32

Mar 24, 2010, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14583 views)

Shortcut

Nogales crossing?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Brian, anything new of late on troubles around the Nogales border crossings.
Bud Crest

chicois8

Mar 24, 2010, 12:50 PM

Post #2 of 14 (14571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Nogales crossing?

I usually cross at Lukeville AZ and it takes about 5 min., so stupid me I tried Nogales 2 weeks ago at mid week,mid day it took 1 hour to get to inspectors via the truck route north....I will be back at Lukeville next year............
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

JohnnyBoy

Mar 24, 2010, 2:04 PM

Post #3 of 14 (14551 views)

Shortcut

I hope it is OK to reply to your post even though I am not Brian.

I have not crossed at Nogales recently but I know people who have. Several American and Canadian expats around here report much longer waits at the Mariposa crossing. I have no information about the downtown, DeConcini crossing. I avoid it because of the danger involved in traversing Nogales, Sonora from the south to get there.

Apparently something is going on with trucking and I have been told that trucks have recently blocked the road near the toll booths about five miles south of the border. The delays reported were up to three and a half hours. Some people seem to know a way through town (once again, through Nogales, Sonora) over to the Mariposa crossing that avoids that last stretch of toll road. It apparently dumps you into the road somewhere near the crossing. I would rather wait three hours for the trucks to get out of the way than drive through Nogales, Sonora.

My neighbor lady and her teenaged son recently went that way. Hubby Neighbor told me she had no problems and no significant delay at Mariposa. Apparently the delays are spotty and occasional.

They say the best day to cross at Mariposa going north is Sunday. Everyone is saying that every day closer to Holy Week and Easter, the worse it will get, in both directions, and will stay that way for up to week after Easter.

I had important mail waiting (tax stuff) at my mail box in Tucson and preferred to pay $150 to have it UPS'd to me (had to do it twice...duh), rather than go up there right now. My decision was based primarily on an economic analysis. But there have been rumors and I get bad vibes right now about going up there. Nothing factual or real to base it on. Just nerves and hunches that really only matter to me.

bournemouth

Mar 24, 2010, 2:23 PM

Post #4 of 14 (14544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnnyBoy] Nogales crossing?

The way through town that brings you out near the gate at the Mariposa crossing, is via the old perferico - you go someway into Nogales proper but miss out the chaotic right downtown part.

Poncho32

Mar 24, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #5 of 14 (14518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnnyBoy] Nogales crossing?

Thanks, I'll check a week from now, because I am leaving the 2nd.
Thanks again, Bud Crest

jimboynton

Mar 25, 2010, 6:44 AM

Post #6 of 14 (14469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Nogales crossing?

Does Lukeville have a place to return car permits and FMTs?

chicois8

Mar 25, 2010, 8:24 AM

Post #7 of 14 (14444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimboynton] Nogales crossing?

In Reply To
Does Lukeville have a place to return car permits and FMTs?

Yes, about KM 21 along Highway 2 from Lukeville is the place where you get your FMT and auto permit upon entering Mexico, returning to the US there are billboard size signs reminding you to turn in your temp auto permit, you just pull over to the left, return sticker and they print out your receipt then you can cross at Lukeville, Yuma or the California crossings....
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

Teo

Mar 25, 2010, 9:16 PM

Post #8 of 14 (14383 views)

Shortcut

chicois8: Are you sure about returning a vehicle permit near Lukeville? I've been to several other web sites that do not list Lukeville as a point of return for this permit. Can someone confirm, please?

Thank you.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Mar 26, 2010, 2:45 AM

Post #9 of 14 (14369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] Nogales crossing?

The "All-of-Mexico" vehicle Temporary Importation Permit (TIP) can be turned in at the Banjercito Office at the Mexican Customs checkpoint at San Emeterio on Hwy 2 about 15 miles before you reach Sonoyta and the border at Lukeville, AZ.

You may have to park along the median in the northbound lanes and walk across the southbound lanes to the office to ask someone to come out and remove the permit.

HTH,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

chicois8

Mar 26, 2010, 8:02 AM

Post #10 of 14 (14331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] Nogales crossing?

Yes, and post #9 confirms, really
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

Teo

Mar 26, 2010, 8:15 AM

Post #11 of 14 (14326 views)

Shortcut

I didn't realize the Inmigracion office was as far south as Sonoyta. Now I get it!

Thanks again!

Brian

Mar 26, 2010, 1:48 PM

Post #12 of 14 (14272 views)

Shortcut

Hi BudCrest

Sorry for the delayed response. Events at the actual garita (border crossing) are so dynamic that one day all hell can break loose and the next, all is calm. I just received a newsflash that isn't very encouraging. An emergency security meeting has just been called in response to the assassination in Nogales of the Asst. Police Chief and his bodyguard. At a minimum, it means that the town right now is viewed as a hot spot.

http://www.ehui.com/...violencia-en-nogales

Brian

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 26, 2010, 2:52 PM)

Tab

Mar 31, 2010, 6:06 AM

Post #13 of 14 (14163 views)

Shortcut

Does anyone know if you can cross at this border heading South with your "menaje de casa" and to get a car permit?

Thanks

chicois8

Mar 31, 2010, 7:28 AM

Post #14 of 14 (14146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tab] Nogales crossing?

I get all my paperwork done at the Lukeville crossing every year including the temp. auto permit, and since it is a legal border crossing I would assume you could do your menaje de casa there also...
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4