Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Vichil

Mar 18, 2010, 6:45 AM

Post #26 of 40 (7182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] CURP

Can't Post | Private Reply
The cash amount that can be deposited per month is now 15 000 pesos after that you get taxed 3% but for us it raised questions since we do not file tax reports. Since you pay taxes you probably would not come up as an exception.
If you wire money or deposit checks the 3% does not apply. The cash is what started the ball rolling.
We found out they do follow the money..

jerezano

Mar 31, 2010, 11:49 AM

Post #27 of 40 (6938 views)

Shortcut

Hello all,

Vichil said:>> But maybe I should avoid making large deposits in my Mexican bank account, just to avoid the appearance of some financial hanky-panky on my part (-: .<<

Forget the hanky-panky. Just avoid making large deposits to avoid paying the extra tax.

As for the CURP, that program is voluntary and it is free. There is no mandatory regulation about it. It is more or less mandatory in that no Government Agency is supposed to do anything for you without it. And many private business are now requiring it as well. Educational institutions are not supposed to let you matriculate without it.

It is easy to obtain. You go to your local municipal office and ask where to get one. You will need passport, usually your Mexican papers, and sometimes a birth certificate. And yes, in my municipio I had to supply my Mother's maiden name, although some of the posters here say they did not do so. Do, what your municipio requires.

The purpose of the CURP is to give you a unique letter-number combination that cannot be duplicated accidentally or purposefully by any other person living in Mexico. In other words a National Identification System. I, personally, like the idea. The Social Security Numbers or the Tax numbers issued in the US are supposed to do the same. RFC numbers are different for different purposes. Although I have had a CURP now for years, I have never had an RFC number. I know nothing about that program.

Hasta luego, jerezano

joaquinx

Apr 6, 2010, 10:37 AM

Post #28 of 40 (6842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] CURP

Today I went into the Palacio Municipio to get my CURP. The only reason was to register my cell phone. Someone on this forum recommend Tramadol for joint pain and today I needed it. The Registro Civil was on the first floor in a building without elevators and I have a real bad knee that really needed the Tramadol. It just seems that when you have problems with walking, the stairs are steeper and higher and unending. Got to the first floor and then had to go to the rear of the building where I was met with another flight of stairs. By this time, I thought my knee was going to fall off. It was then I thought that I might need copies of some document and the nearest copy machine was on the bottom floor. I walked into the office where the big (and I do mean big) sign read C.U.R.P. I then told the man sitting behind a computer that I needed a CURP to register my cell. He asked for my FM-3, typed a few lines into his computer, went over to the printer, pulled out a sheet a paper and gave it to me. Then asked me if it was correct. I nodded yes, and he said that was it - have a nice day. No copies, no forms, no proof of residence, nada. I ask you, what is becoming of Mexican bureaucracy? This type of service will never stand.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Peter

Apr 7, 2010, 12:27 PM

Post #29 of 40 (6765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] CURP

I had no trouble registering my Unefon cell phone without a CURP number but TelCel seems to insist on having it to register my other phone. So today I set out to get my CURP number.

Using the link Esperanza provided in this thread I found the address for the nearest registro office to obtain the number, but upon arrival found they had moved. It was about a 10 minute walk to the new location and I found some 200 people waiting or in line, but the line I needed only had about 5 people ahead of me.

After about 40 minutes I made it to the front of the line and presented my passport and FM-3. After a brief look at a couple pages of my visa I was told there was a problem with it, after nearly four years and three renewals, and was referred to the immigrations office to have it corrected. Since I have to renew again next month I figured I would not bother with it today.

On the way back home I decided to stop around the corner from my house at Salinas y Rocha store that sells all companies' brands of cell phones and try again without the CURP. After two tries by the sales clerk to no avail we decided to give up for now but he suggested the problem may be in the system net and that we could try again this afternoon or tomorrow.

TelCel was the only company that had service in some places on the coast I visit but it is only a matter of time that other companies will cover those areas as well. Still, I like having a back-up phone from another company so inquired about Movistar service. He told me calls to the US will run about $6 pesos per half-hour on Movistar, cheaper than my Unefon service and way, way, WAY cheaper than TelCel for US calls. So with just my passport he registered my new Movistar phone, as was done with my Unefon a few weeks earlier.

So, yes, there seems to be alternatives to having to use the CURP number. I really don't need companies that don't need me or just want to make the process more difficult.

johnv

Apr 8, 2010, 6:05 AM

Post #30 of 40 (6728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] CURP

Not wanting a CURP, but wishing to retain my cell phone service, I successfully registered my Telcel cell phone at the main office of the city in which I live, simply by showing my passport only. No questions were answered by me other than to give them the phone number of the cell phone. The whole process took 2 minutes and there were no lines.

Peter

Apr 8, 2010, 7:36 AM

Post #31 of 40 (6710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] CURP

Thanks, your post reassures me that it CAN BE done and I still have a Telcel phone I should try to register, though even after a good night's sleep following yesterdays runaround I find myself still feeling rather explosive and wonder if it is not in everyone's best interest to just trash that phone instead.

I don't know if or where Telcel has a main office here but Telcel shacks are ubiquituous and I might yet find one close by that can help me. I don't mind getting a CURP number but that option is definitely out. Been there, tried that.

Zorba

Apr 8, 2010, 8:49 AM

Post #32 of 40 (6697 views)

Shortcut

Personally, I think I am going to hold out on getting a CURP as long as possible. The less data the government has on me, the less likely it is to fall into the wrong hands or be used for the wrong purpose.

esperanza

Apr 8, 2010, 11:18 AM

Post #33 of 40 (6663 views)

Shortcut

Peter, TelCel's main office in Morelia is on the north side of Av. Camelinas just west of Av. Ventura Puente. Most of the locales that sell cellular phones (what you are calling 'shacks') do not offer the service you need.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Peter

Apr 8, 2010, 2:07 PM

Post #34 of 40 (6642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] CURP

Thanks for that info. I think I got it taken care of though I'm not sure, I don't think the cell companies send back any confirmation message. The sales clerk that sold me the MoviStar phone yesterday was finally able to get something through today to Telcel. The problem seems to be the systems are over-saturated by the remaining 30%, some 14 million(?) trying to get their phones registered at this time.

Now having three cell phones from different companies I expect by Sunday at least one might still function then. It's overkill but the MoviStar rate of $6 pesos per half-hour for calls to the US perhaps made the purchase worthwhile. If Telcel cancels me now I'll consider it a savings rather than a loss. I tried.

gpkgto

Apr 8, 2010, 4:14 PM

Post #35 of 40 (6624 views)

Shortcut

I definitely got a confirmation message from the 3 cell phones I registered.

La Isla

Apr 8, 2010, 4:55 PM

Post #36 of 40 (6613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] CURP

In Reply To
I definitely got a confirmation message from the 3 cell phones I registered.

When I registered my cell phone, I got back two messages: the first one appeared right away to let me know that they had received my message and the second one, maybe 15 minutes later, to let me know that my cell phone had been duly registered. This was with Telmex.

morgaine7

Apr 8, 2010, 5:30 PM

Post #37 of 40 (6604 views)

Shortcut

My experience was the same (also with Telmex). I saved the confirmation message on the phone in case anything goes wrong.

Kate

Peter

Apr 8, 2010, 5:31 PM

Post #38 of 40 (6603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] CURP

OK, I do recall getting a confirmation from Unefon a few weeks ago not long after I registered it, but I'll buy the system saturation right now. I'm still waiting for my new Movistar phone to go into service, over 24 hours now, that is what they said is due to the saturation along with the delay in getting through to Telcel for registration. It may take the weekend to find out for sure but the Movistar phone they will have to make good on.

Casa

Apr 8, 2010, 6:01 PM

Post #39 of 40 (6596 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
He told me calls to the US will run about $6 pesos per half-hour on Movistar, cheaper than my Unefon service and way, way, WAY cheaper than TelCel for US calls.

If you are talking about the "PagaMenos Extra", That is a good deal if you use $200 Pesos or more a month in talk credit, if not, then you will not get that rate.

(This post was edited by Casa on Apr 8, 2010, 6:21 PM)

stevebrtx

Apr 10, 2010, 8:06 AM

Post #40 of 40 (6511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] CURP

I've been watching and reading about this subject and guess I have a couple of concerns regarding some of the changes.

First the CURP appears to be something akin to our SSN, but also includes foreigners, and dates back some time. It appears that many, or even most, people haven't signed up, so I'm guessing the most obvious way to force compliance is to require it for cell phones which everyone have.

That being said the current program is being sold as a crime prevention or tracking tool. Exactly how that works is unclear to me. If someone uses a cell phone during a robbery they could track it - or? So, what stops a bad guy from going to Laredo and buying a case of disposable phones that will work in MX? The phone companies won't stop cell phones from tourists from working.

But, assuming the crime thing is a serious concern, then I see those of us with legal cell phones as a prime source for "clean" phones and a target for cell phone theft, then once stolen and used in a crime the police show up at my door with an arrest warrant.

Next the new FM3 cards are of concern, right now I carry copies of my visa while protecting my originals. However with the recent car jacking the thiefs had her keys, her car and her address on the FM3 copy, also the gate opener and keys to the property. The new FM3 does not appear to have the address printed on it, possibly on the mag stip, but the CURP is printed on the front and presumably we'll have to carry the original so the mag strip could be read, not a copy. So, if my card is lost or stolen I'm in big trouble because anyone with that can go online to the db and find my address and other data and we've seen how the SSN can be used to destroy ones identity.

Apparently the banks are beginning to require it also, could that put my account at risk?

So, as I said I have some concerns or at the least questions, maybe they've already been answered, if so, I'd appreciate that information.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4