Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Don Gringo

Mar 15, 2010, 9:08 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5726 views)

Shortcut

Unknown Holiday in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, I searched all the calendars I could find, and found nothing about today being a holiday here in Nuevo Laredo. Anyone know what holiday it is today? Catholic holiday maybe?
Lived for 35 months in Mexico. I feel like I paid my dues...

bournemouth

Mar 15, 2010, 9:20 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Gringo] Unknown Holiday in Mexico

It's the official holiday for Benito Juarez day - the actual day is later in the week. Read here for the paid vacations for 2010;

http://www.boletin-infomail.com/...%ADas-festivos-2010/

Don Gringo

Mar 15, 2010, 10:50 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Unknown Holiday in Mexico

Thank you very much.

That explains it very well. I saw Benito Jaurez's Bday on the calendar for Sunday just didn't know they would celebrate a week early, or at all.

I got stuck on Bridge 2 Laredo for two hours because I didn't know about one of the holidays. Had to go to work though. Good thing I set my own schedule for both of my jobs.

Rolly

Mar 15, 2010, 12:25 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5690 views)

Shortcut

The Mexican legal holidays are:
Jan 1, New Year's Day
1st Monday in Feb, Constitution Day
3rd Monday in March, Benito Juarez's Birthday
May 1, Labor Day
Sep 16, Independence Day
3rd Monday in Nov, Revolution Day
Dec 25, Christmas

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Mar 15, 2010, 5:44 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5667 views)

Shortcut

The dates that some national Holidays in México are celebrated on have been moved to a Monday to give the public more three day weekends, just as some holidays were moved from the actual dates, to either a Friday or a Monday in The US a few years ago.

There is a little news squib about it on the Mexico Today website in English today at: http://www.mexicotodayblog.com/ Scroll down about 8 or 9 paragraphs to read it.

Just below that is a notation that The Hoy No Circula law in México City was suspended today too, that won't effect anyone that does not live near that city though. We didn't plan to go there today anyway, but our van is new enough that it has a cero verification (smog) sticker, and it is exempt from the Hoy No Circula driving restrictions anyway.

Only newer cars registered in México, D. F, and the nearby states of Hidalgo, México, Puebla, and Morelos may get a cero or a double cero verification sticker to be exempt from the driving restrictions in México City. I believe a car must be a model year of 2002 or newer to be eligible for a cero or double cero sticker, but I'm not sure if that is accurate. My wife and her Mom make at least one trip per month to México City, they never need to be concerned now about which day they go there, or return home anymore.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Don Gringo

Mar 16, 2010, 6:23 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5622 views)

Shortcut

Exactly one car in front of me on Bridge 2 Laredo this morning, but that is the benefit of being on the bridge at 06:45.

So, if i were just looking at a calendar and see a holiday in Mexico fall on Saturday, or Sunday... can I assume the observed will be the Monday before the actual holiday?

bournemouth

Mar 16, 2010, 8:07 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5611 views)

Shortcut

Never assume anything in Mexico - it's dangerous to do so! Just keep a copy of the list above and you'll be fine.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4