Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 11:16 AM

Post #26 of 43 (4820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Que quieres? Plata o plomo?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Or you could be in an RV park in Maz when the cartel soldiers decided to shoot some cops and throw a grenade right across the street ( this really happened last week).

I've read various renditions of this story on the RV forums, and just shake my head. I was actually a very short distance away when it happened (1/2 block?). The RV park is not "right across the street" from where this incident happened. The RV park is inside a residential area nearby, but this incident happened on the main 4 lane avenue.

Moisheh

Mar 18, 2010, 11:47 AM

Post #27 of 43 (4800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Que quieres? Plata o plomo?

Marlene: I know you are active in the Maz community and on other forums but this what happened:

"50 yards away from my motor home over 60 shots and a hand grenade to stop a police officer dead in his tracks driving around the corner in his car the car was blown up and spread with heavy machine gun fire. Our neighbors saw the 3 cars shooting. I was on the floor as was my wife, I thought the last one hit the motor home. That poor officer."

My friend has a space right beside the fence and 50 yards away is a street corner in that residential neighborhood. I have stayed in that park. My friend is an honsest quiet fellow who would never enhance a circumstance. He was there and you were not. His info , as well as others, is first hand. I believe what he posted!!

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 12:37 PM

Post #28 of 43 (4784 views)

Shortcut

You are posting hearsay (second hand information) and you claim "He was there and you were not". First of all, yes I was there, 1/2 block north. I was sitting on the lower outside patio of a nearby restaurant, just up the street where we could see the sparks from the automatic weapons reflecting off the buildings opposite. We saw the getaway vehicles speed by us. I collected the handbags and other valuables of those that ran inside to safety. I was last in. Now tell me I wasn't there.

The incident happened on the main avenue and NOT across from the trailer park. My husband went to the scene to confirm if it was safe for tourists to be outside. (I didn't care to do that, but I certainly heard the sequence of events at very close range, something I never want to hear again.).

You should go into the newspapers archives to read the real story for yourself and take a look at the photos. The car did not "blow up". The pictures will show you that. It was very much intact except for the windows which were shot out. The grenade was an afterthought (which only succeeded in lifting the car's hood some) after many rounds of automatic weapon fire at close range. It was indeed ugly, but the facts are the facts and unless we know for sure, it's not good to pass around hysteria on the forums.

We passed the scene later after it was cleared and after the lookie-lous had gone, because we have friends living in the condos on the corner and we wanted to check how things were going. It practically happened in their living room. If you could see where the bullet holes landed, like we did, you would see that no one in the trailer park was in immediate danger. The folks living in the condos were VERY lucky given where those bullet holes are. The condos are on the opposite side of the street from the trailer park, and a block West.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Mar 18, 2010, 12:50 PM)

Reefhound

Mar 18, 2010, 1:49 PM

Post #29 of 43 (4754 views)

Shortcut

Whether right across the street, 1/2 block north, or nearby. I think we're picking nits here and I don't see a big difference in potential hysteria between a car whose hood was lifted by a grenade as an afterthought to being riddled by machine gun fire versus a car being blown up then shot up. Where the bullets flew and who was in danger or not was merely a matter of circumstance and chance. I'm glad that when your husband went to the scene to confirm it was safe that it turned out to be...

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 2:13 PM

Post #30 of 43 (4738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Que quieres? Plata o plomo?

Right, it's just that I prefer facts (vs the embellished stories and comments making their way around the internet). The facts are quite enough. No need to spin them with fantastical comments.

arbon

Mar 18, 2010, 2:47 PM

Post #31 of 43 (4725 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Right, it's just that I prefer facts (vs the embellished stories and comments making their way around the internet). The facts are quite enough. No need to spin them with fantastical comments." So is it a fact that the Mexican Government is paying for the Calgary couple, (that was involved in the failed attempted robbery, at a "Trailer Park") to fly home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 2:57 PM

Post #32 of 43 (4717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Que quieres? Plata o plomo?

Yes, but it was the Sinaloa State Tourism department, not the Mexican (Federal) Government.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Mar 18, 2010, 2:58 PM)

arbon

Mar 18, 2010, 3:05 PM

Post #33 of 43 (4709 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Yes, but it was the Sinaloa State Tourism department, not the Mexican Government."

OK, Thanks.

But why would they need to have their fare paid after a failed attempted robbery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Mar 18, 2010, 3:10 PM

Post #34 of 43 (4703 views)

Shortcut

The car did not "blow up". The pictures will show you that. It was very much intact except for the windows which were shot out. The grenade was an afterthought (which only succeeded in lifting the car's hood some) after many rounds of automatic weapon fire at close range. It was indeed ugly, but the facts are the facts and unless we know for sure, it's not good to pass around hysteria on the forums.

I think what was stated was "the car was blown up with heavy machine gun fire" and not that it blew up Hollywood-style in a mushrooming ball of flame sending shrapnel flying into everything in proximity. By stating the car did not "blow up" but remained very much intact one might think you were hightening the hysteria in order to debunk it.

I was nowhere near there so have no idea what happened except what was reported by the media and in this forum. But facts are facts and the facts you provided suggest a car was blown up, first by gunfire then by a grenade - which tend to "blow up." You yourself suggest the hood was lifted which would indicate something indeed did blow it up.

This was a very ugly incident which I do not wish to make light of. Just be aware that eye witnesses to the same event are likely to view it from a different perspective or recount it in a different manner.

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 3:11 PM

Post #35 of 43 (4702 views)

Shortcut

According to local news, they also paid his hospital bills and expenses for the relative who flew down to drive his big motor home north.

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 3:18 PM

Post #36 of 43 (4690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Que quieres? Plata o plomo?

Here you go Peter.

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/...66&foto=44848023

Altahabana

Mar 18, 2010, 4:13 PM

Post #37 of 43 (4670 views)

Shortcut

Pictures usually tell better stories than even the most accurate factual postings. This is what is happening in the Frontera.

http://impreso.milenio.com/node/8729396

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Mar 18, 2010, 4:18 PM)
Attachments: ANAHUAC1.doc (190 KB)

arbon

Mar 18, 2010, 5:06 PM

Post #38 of 43 (4646 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"According to local news, they also paid his hospital bills and expenses for the relative who flew down to drive his big motor home north."

"Marlene,
The local police are calling it a botched robbery attempt, because the bad guys left without taking anything. There was no "storming in". They knocked quietly on the RV door (wife's description was "light tapping"), she called husband to open the door, bad guys didn't break in or come into the unit. There was one hand-gun described in her official report, and that gun went off when husband scuffled with them, knocking them each to the ground, outside the unit."

After reading the above, it seemed that it was the would be robber that needed medical attention.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #39 of 43 (4641 views)

Shortcut

Arbon, Wasn't it clear in other messages in the thread that the gun discharged and he took a bullet to his upper thigh? He is fine now, walking around, and home in Calgary.

arbon

Mar 18, 2010, 5:47 PM

Post #40 of 43 (4622 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Arbon, Wasn't it clear in other messages in the thread that the gun discharged and he took a bullet to his upper thigh? He is fine now, walking around, and home in Calgary."

I had read the story from the Calgary Herald, but you said the following:-

"No one is trying to down play anything. Many of the printed articles in Calgary differ from the woman's own audio interview."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marlene

Mar 18, 2010, 6:02 PM

Post #41 of 43 (4617 views)

Shortcut

Yes, and?

Moisheh

Mar 18, 2010, 9:06 PM

Post #42 of 43 (4578 views)

Shortcut

Marlene is obviously one of those who feels they have to "protect" the reputation of the city where they are living. The fact remains that Maz is no longer sleepy hollow. I have also read how the local govt. is in denial. I will stand by the reports from people in the trailer park. And as previously stated in this thread does it really matter if it was 150 yds. or around the corner. Far too close for comfort.

Moisheh

tonyburton

Mar 19, 2010, 8:36 AM

Post #43 of 43 (4522 views)

Shortcut

And just after I'd complimented everyone for NOT making things personal!
I can assure you from personal experience that there is a whole world of difference between being 150 yards away or 'just around the corner', or right at the scene when 'it' happens. That does not mean that comments from people 150 yards away are not valid, just that they are unlikely to fully reflect what really happened. As someone pointed out previously, even if two people are eye-witnesses in close proximity to each other, their version so events ofter differ greatly.
Marlene's insistence on facts as opposed to hearsay is helpful to all.
Now, can we get back to the issues, and away from comments that are personal? Thanks, Tony
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4