First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Manuel Dexterity

Mar 10, 2010, 1:23 PM

Post #26 of 34 (10655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] ĦHola al foro!

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Ain´t gone happen Gringal, Darlin' and you know it. These morons could not adjust to life in Chiapas and, as much as I am fond of you, do not pretend to place the Bay Area on a scale with the Soconusco. We are not on the same planet and I say that as one whose life in the <Bay Area started in 66 and ended in 01. Rise above the crackers with whom you have ostensibly affiliated. They are unworthy of your trust.

Funny, that is how I view people like yourselves. You wouldn't have lasted 6 months in the gringo enclave of Lake Chapala as recently even as the 1980's let alone the wilds of Chiapas.. Think about what your life would have been with no toll roads to easily transport you back and forth from the lake, probably no telephone line in either home and your selection of table wine limited to Los Reyes and Santo Tomas. Hell, when Padre Kino came along we thought we had died and went to the Napa Valley.

If you think the imported goodies at Super Lake are pricey you should have seen what the fayuqueros got for their "imported" merchandise. You took it or left it. Some people could or learned to live without but most were back in their home country pronto.

Ahhhh the good old days!

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Mar 10, 2010, 1:32 PM)

Hound Dog

Mar 10, 2010, 1:58 PM

Post #27 of 34 (10636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] ĦHola al foro!

| Private Reply
This boy first traveled in Mexico in the 1960s fartbrain and when I first visited The Yucatan there were no improved roads and the local yokels were as backward fascistic and isolated as the folks on the Bay of Arcachon in France or the peasants who built their stone shacks along the narrow gauge railroad from the French border to Barcelona when General Franco was still sticking hot pokers up the asses of Republican Commie Sympathizers so don´t try to lord it over the Fat Boy who remembers Idi Amin in all his glory and was nearly plugged full of lead by the thugs associated with the Lion of Judah in Addis Ababa in 1969 when he so much as looked askance at the presidential palace and you may live a thousand years in your small wonderland having married into a Mexican family and feasted on two-bit tacos but you will still not have spent the time climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or wandered the cinnamon and clove and cashew nut forests with Dawg on Zanzibar nor sipped strong tea in Darjeeling or Calcutta before strolling the sewers of places from Madras to Bangalore Puntbrain. Partake of the joust with those who have ventured nowhere nor seen rats climb out of toilets in Kathmandu after partaking of hashish laced oatmeal in places of which you can only dream. When it comes to experiences, you are the Birmingham Barons and Dawg is the New York Yankees.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Mar 10, 2010, 2:05 PM)

sfsmurf

Mar 10, 2010, 2:10 PM

Post #28 of 34 (10628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] ĦHola al foro!

| Private Reply
"...good experiences in Ajijic that happen when you have intelligent friends with interesting backgrounds" vs. "the Church Supper group".

I've been traveling to Mexico for over twenty years and lived in Mexico for ten of those years (four years in Mexico City and the other six in Veracruz, Ver. and Poza Rica, Ver.), and am returning to live in Mexico next month (not sure where yet). Personally when I live and travel in Mexico I want the vast bulk of my time to be spent with Mexicans, speaking Spanish and being in Mexican environments.

This past month---after 20 years of avoiding it-- I visited SMA for the first time. I met up with two American friends who are intelligent, have interesting backgrounds, are well-educated and who live there. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them. But....the whole experience felt almost identical to one I'd have at home in the U.S. Neither one of them speak more than basic Spanish, and their social groups don't include a single Mexican. The town itself felt like a Disneyfied, sanitized "museum piece" full of American ex-pats. It felt claustrophobic and I couldn't wait to leave. When in Mexico I want Mexico in all its glory and with all its warts. Otherwise I'd just stay home.

Gringal

Mar 10, 2010, 2:16 PM

Post #29 of 34 (10623 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Gringal | Private Reply

Rolly

Mar 10, 2010, 2:25 PM

Post #30 of 34 (10618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfsmurf] ĦHola al foro!

| Private Reply
When in Mexico I want Mexico in all its glory and with all its warts. Otherwise I'd just stay home.

Me too. I came here for a new adventure in my old age. Boy! did I ever get one here in Lerdo way off the gringo path! My Mexican adventure has turned out to be one of the highlights of my life. No way would I have ever had such a time in one of the Gringolandias.

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Mar 10, 2010, 2:30 PM

Post #31 of 34 (10609 views)

Shortcut

Re: Various: Hola al foro!

| Private Reply
Having just read the latest from sfmurf, and from Rolly, the conclusion is obvious: There are different flavors for different personalities.
I hope he finds what he's seeking. Obviously, it won't be in San Miguel or any other area popular with expats.

When I lived in San Miguel, it was in a Mexican barrio of working class people. It didn't feel anything like Disneyland and had plenty of warts. It is currently described by some as the worst neighborhood in the area. I had no problems with my neighbors, with the exception of some lowlife drunks and thieves. There are those who never venture outside the Centro area for any purpose, and of course, they have an entirely different viewpoint and experience. It's all about what you see from your own vantage point, colored by expectations and finished by whatever experience you have.

Rolly, I dunno about that level of adventure.....but to each his own. lol.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Mar 10, 2010, 2:58 PM)

Zorba

Mar 10, 2010, 3:50 PM

Post #32 of 34 (10590 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
This boy first traveled in Mexico in the 1960s fartbrain and when I first visited The Yucatan there were no improved roads and the local yokels were as backward fascistic and isolated as the folks on the Bay of Arcachon in France or the peasants who built their stone shacks along the narrow gauge railroad from the French border to Barcelona when General Franco was still sticking hot pokers up the asses of Republican Commie Sympathizers so don´t try to lord it over the Fat Boy who remembers Idi Amin in all his glory and was nearly plugged full of lead by the thugs associated with the Lion of Judah in Addis Ababa in 1969 when he so much as looked askance at the presidential palace and you may live a thousand years in your small wonderland having married into a Mexican family and feasted on two-bit tacos but you will still not have spent the time climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or wandered the cinnamon and clove and cashew nut forests with Dawg on Zanzibar nor sipped strong tea in Darjeeling or Calcutta before strolling the sewers of places from Madras to Bangalore Puntbrain. Partake of the joust with those who have ventured nowhere nor seen rats climb out of toilets in Kathmandu after partaking of hashish laced oatmeal in places of which you can only dream. When it comes to experiences, you are the Birmingham Barons and Dawg is the New York Yankees.

Hahaha! Brilliant!

Manuel Dexterity

Mar 10, 2010, 5:41 PM

Post #33 of 34 (10578 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yeah yeah yeah mutt. We have been through this one before either here or on another board. I'd love to hear your memories of Idi Amin in 1969.

I ate so many cashews in Cochin I puked for hours. Can't get near them to this day. Madras is a fading memory but my niece still has an old British Army bugle I bought at a street bazaar there. Oh yeah, can't forget the hinged fish nets they used. Spent 3 weeks on one visit to Bombay before it was Mumbai. Smoked some temple balls and started roaming the streets. Wound up wandering through the infamous "Cages" district. A Seikh cab driver saved my dumbass that time.

Let's see. Still have a rug from Karachi.

The bay of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka was loaded with lobster. Made a hook from an old bicycle spoke and ate lobster the whole time I was there. The locals didn't seem to appreciate them. My daughter has some beautiful batiks I brought from Colombo. Had my tea in Kandy at the spectacular botanical gardens.

Jakarta, Surabaya and the back side of Java. Manila before Marcos' marshal law was interesting. Mindanao was wild. Bugo reminded me a little of places on the Pacific here.

The Australian and European junkies hanging around the opium dens near Penang were more cutthroat than the slicky boys in any Asian city. No peace and love there.

All in all, a lot of amazing things. You know what I mean. Bizarre and exciting but not a lot of laughs. The laughs I found in Mexico.

So bring it on buckoo. You talk a good story. Now all you have to do is get your time frame squared away.

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Mar 10, 2010, 5:43 PM)

Rolly

Mar 10, 2010, 5:46 PM

Post #34 of 34 (10574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] ĦHola al foro!

| Private Reply
Enough already! Time to move on.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4