Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Rolly

Mar 6, 2010, 7:46 AM

Post #1 of 12 (16356 views)

Shortcut

Another life in Lerdo picture story -- Chicoburgers

Can't Post | Private Reply
This is a little picture story about two college kids who sell hamburgers and hot dog on Friday and Saturday nights. Of course, there's a picture of me eating -- the thing I do best.

http://rollybrook.com/chicoburgers.htm

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 4, 2010, 12:51 PM)

sparks

Mar 6, 2010, 8:10 AM

Post #2 of 12 (16333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Another life in Lerdo picture story

Man sized burgers .... or at least the buns

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

La Isla

Mar 6, 2010, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 12 (16302 views)

Shortcut

A great photo essay, Rolly, just the kind of thing you won't see in the mainstream media.

Judy in Ags

Mar 6, 2010, 10:09 AM

Post #4 of 12 (16287 views)

Shortcut

That's something I like about Mexico. People have the opportunity for these kinds of small businesses.

see saw sallie

Mar 10, 2010, 10:17 PM

Post #5 of 12 (16117 views)

Shortcut

Love the photos. Most of all, love the business sense that can pop out of anyone...any age. I want to open a tortilla shop...we still might. :)

mzdaisy

Mar 11, 2010, 5:10 AM

Post #6 of 12 (16088 views)

Shortcut

Hey Rolly!

I know the food is great! It is the best food in the world! We call "Sabor Norteno!" Rolly, I am trying to watch my figure and there you are eating tortas and making me hungry! lolol

normamc288

Mar 17, 2010, 11:50 AM

Post #7 of 12 (15869 views)

Shortcut

Oh my gosh, Rolly, ordered your book, it came yesterday and I do not want to put it down. What a wonderful thing you and your friends have done preparing that book for all of us. I am a fraction of the way thru and have learned so much, I want to order it and give one to all my negative friends.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.........................came just in the nick of time as I leave on Mon. for retirement in Mexico. Loved the history part. Norma

jasonnfree

Apr 2, 2010, 2:47 AM

Post #8 of 12 (15529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [normamc288] Another life in Lerdo picture story

One thing I miss when I'm stateside is the food carts on just about every street corner and the sense of community you feel. I get this feeling in just about any country south of the border but I think especially in Mexico. My short trip to Guadalajara I kept passing a hot dog cart and didn't think they would be worthwhile but tried them and, maybe the best hot dogs I ever ate. I should have asked what brand of hot dogs, but I think it was all the other goodies you could put on them also that added to the taste. Mexicans have a way of making food to guarantee you'll overeat.

carlw

Apr 2, 2010, 10:12 AM

Post #9 of 12 (15463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jasonnfree] Another life in Lerdo picture story

Lots of American cities have food carts, including Mexican food carts. Dallas for one. In some neighborhoods you might also think you were in Mexico.

La Isla

Apr 2, 2010, 11:46 AM

Post #10 of 12 (15440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carlw] Another life in Lerdo picture story

New York City and Philadelphia have lots of food carts, at least in the downtown areas, not to mention coffee-and-donut-and bagel carts, where I used to grab a fast breakfast on the way to work. Temple University in Philly has several areas devoted to food carts, many of which sell food superior to that found in local eateries, lots of ethnic food (Chinese, Middle-Eastern, Mexican) plus local specialities like pizza, steak sandwiches and hoagies. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry; time for a snack!

Rolly

May 4, 2010, 12:41 PM

Post #11 of 12 (14917 views)

Shortcut

UpDate: The newly weds now have another money-making venture. Once a week they make tamales and sweet empanadas to sell at the university where they attend. Thus far they are averaging a 275% profit.
The combined income from the two business is enough to put food on their table and buy propane for cooking and gasoline for their car. Not bad for a couple of young college kids.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Jun 19, 2010, 2:11 PM

Post #12 of 12 (14362 views)

Shortcut

19 June 2010 UpDate: Now that school is out, the tamales and empanadas have been set aside for the summer. They have expanded the hamburger stand business. No longer just weekends, they are now open at 5:00PM every night selling 7 flavors of snow cones as well as hamburgers and hot dogs. In this hot weather, they are making more money from snow cones than from hamburgers. They buy the shaved ice, and Brenda's mother makes the fruit juices.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4