First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

howart01

Mar 8, 2010, 4:52 PM

Post #26 of 36 (10029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Questions about Ajijic and surrounding area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Camille,

I assume you're being serious (not sarcastic). ;-)

If so, what would the rates be like per person? Any guess?

If not - please explain....

thanks

Camille

Mar 8, 2010, 7:35 PM

Post #27 of 36 (10007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [howart01] Questions about Ajijic and surrounding area

Dead serious! I'll have to ask around for rates, but Mexican first-class buses are quite luxurious, and the drive takes you through some lava fields and past two volcanoes. It's certainly what I'd do. And if you're interested in the PV area, I promise you you'd love the area north of there. From Bucerias through La Penita the scenery just gets more and more beautiful....

howart01

Mar 8, 2010, 8:50 PM

Post #28 of 36 (9991 views)

Shortcut

Thanks! I would really appreciate it. I just checked on Air Mexico's site and flights between the two cities (Guadalajara, not Ajijic) were about $53.00 per ticket. Not bad. Might be worth it to take the bus and see the scenery though....

Gracias!

tashby

Mar 8, 2010, 9:03 PM

Post #29 of 36 (9987 views)

Shortcut

Hi howart01,

ETN (a super luxury bus line) runs between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. The current fare looks to be about $399 MXP (pesos) per adult passenger as I plug into their website here:

http://www.etn.com.mx/

Not sure I'd really trust that "$53.00" per ticket airfare you see. Might want to look into it further and see if it includes all taxes and fees.

It will boil down to how many people you need to get from A (Puerto Vallarta) to B (Guadalajara).......and then to C (Ajijic/Lake Chapala).

As always, you have to do your own math. Good luck!

Hound Dog

Mar 9, 2010, 5:32 AM

Post #30 of 36 (9959 views)

Shortcut

When checking for airlines the price listed usually does not include the taxes that can double the prices on a cheap flight. 53 dollars sounds cheap, make sure taxes are included. It sounds like the price of a luxury bus line not an airline.
The luxury buses are about half of the price of the airlines and do include taxes. ETN is my favorite but on a 4 hour drive you can also go with cheaper buses.
Show up at the bus station whenyou want to leave and chances are you will find a bus within an hour or two without reservations.
A very large amount of the population in Mexico does not have a car and the bus is the major transportation means, There are very few places you cannot access by some type of public transportation.

When renting a car make sure you have legal aid on the insurrance. The prices look reasonable but with insurrance car renting is expensive. The drop off charges can really add up as well. We just rented a mini van to come back from Tapachula and the drop off charge in Tuxtla Gutierrez was 1200 pesos or 5 pesos a km! The van was 1200 pesos and with the insurrance the total package was 2800 pesos. We had no choice as our car was in the shop and the van was the only car available. The bus was 630 pesos but does not accept dogs.

cookj5

Mar 10, 2010, 6:01 PM

Post #31 of 36 (9882 views)

Shortcut

And before you think of the grimy, grubby Greyhound buses of the US, be aware that Mexico is light years ahead of the US in bus transportation (at least at the first class level). Expect a fast, smooth, comfortable ride with plush seats and drop down screens for "in-flight" movies. You have to experience it to believe it.

Peter

Mar 11, 2010, 7:16 AM

Post #32 of 36 (9831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Questions about Ajijic and surrounding area

I'll second what is said about the buses here, they are clean, comfortable, with much more legroom than Greyhound. The buses are typically late-modeled Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, or other upscale brands.

The schedules are generally convenient with several a day going to most popular destinations. Typically there is space available without reservations, except during heavy-travel local holidays.

For travel over a couple hours I have been given a snack bag with a fruit, a drink, a roll or sandwich, and package of cookies. The movies (I have seen) are usually in english with Spanish subtitles. It gets even better on Executive Class/

howart01

Mar 11, 2010, 7:48 PM

Post #33 of 36 (9763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Questions about Ajijic and surrounding area

Wow! That's pretty impressive. I've travelled by Greyhound here in the U.S. (probably 20 years ago) and it was nothing like that! Is it likely that there is a bus to most major cities?

RickS

Mar 11, 2010, 8:00 PM

Post #34 of 36 (9760 views)

Shortcut

Not only likely.... guaranteed!

tonyburton

Mar 11, 2010, 8:38 PM

Post #35 of 36 (9752 views)

Shortcut

and not only "a bus" but many!!

Camille

Mar 11, 2010, 11:32 PM

Post #36 of 36 (9737 views)

Shortcut

Hard to believe but true.... and anyone who posts sarcastically is greeted with boos and hisses. You will love the bus experience, and have your camera ready. If possible sit on the right side of the bus, you'll get the lava field and volcano views.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4