Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Mac539

Feb 28, 2010, 7:02 PM

Post #1 of 4 (12822 views)

Shortcut

Motorcycling through Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
As I am a great motorcycling fanatic, I find Veracruz to be a facinating place. I have a touring bike, which works well on the Autopistas and good stretches of 180. But it is useless off the beaten path. I have a couple smaller 750 cruisers which have no use in Mexico. For long distance, they are too light. For exploring the back roads, they can't take the dirt roads and pot holes. So I have to buy another bike. One that can keep up to traffic on the highways, but take the backroad abuse. I am thinking of the Kawasaki KLR650. If someone has experience, please help me out here. I have found veracruz to be a remarkable place that can only be appreciated on a motorcycle. The 3rd world south of Cordova would beat a 4-wheel drive vehicle up. And potholes on the shore roads likewise. I really think a moto is the way to go. Anyone with experience please help me out.
Thanks
Timo

PatrickGibson

Sep 14, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #2 of 4 (11926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mac539] Motorcycling through Veracruz

Did you settle on a set of wheels yet? Look at the BMW adventure series of bikes.

Patrick.

Mac539

Sep 15, 2010, 1:22 AM

Post #3 of 4 (11890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PatrickGibson] Motorcycling through Veracruz

Yes I did. I liked the BMW but I think they are too high tech for me. I bought the KLR at probably at 1/2 the price of a comparable BMW. 650CC at a lower weight seemed to be best. Plus the KLR has a 6 gallon gas tank.
Tim

Bill Kaliher

Feb 22, 2011, 10:44 PM

Post #4 of 4 (11232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mac539] Motorcycling through Veracruz

Mac:
I've motorcycled Mexico twice on small bikes---years back---have always thought the smaller lighter bikes best for Mexico but I too have been thinking about the Kawasaki KLR650. Please let me know if you go with it and how it does.
Thanks,
Bill

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4