Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

mensamia

Feb 26, 2010, 9:20 AM

Post #1 of 18 (12926 views)

Shortcut

crime rates

| Private Reply
In my last visit to Chapala in early February I noticed much more graffiti than in 2007, angry vivid scrawls on buildings. It seemed to be an expression of anger... or is this teenage angst of 2010?

What about crime, do you think it is rising because of the economy... and retired expats are easy pickings?

Here is a link to a crime stats page.

http://www.lakesidecrime.com/mainmenu/contact.php

thanks in advance

mensamia

Feb 26, 2010, 9:54 AM

Post #2 of 18 (12917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] crime rates

| Private Reply
this is from the Guadalajara newspaper Ajijic plagued by fall crime wave Friday, November 13 2009 14:24 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Ajijic residents are being advised to be on guard and step up security precautions to combat a crime wave that has hit the village over the past several weeks.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 1, 2010, 2:13 PM)

mensamia

Feb 26, 2010, 10:06 AM

Post #3 of 18 (12913 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
from Guadalajara newspaper Lakeside rocked by four homicides in two days Thursday, December 24 2009 10:16 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Authorities confirmed four murders in the north shore area late last week in what appears to be three unrelated cases.

The first homicide occurred around 3:30 p.m., Thursday, December 17 in the vicinity of Chapala’s Preparatoria (high school). Bertoldo Mejia Florez, 30, was traveling as a passenger with his brother at the wheel when their vehicle was cut off by a red Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck. Unknown assailants opened fire, fatally wounding Mejia with three shots to the head and

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 1, 2010, 2:13 PM)

tonyburton

Feb 26, 2010, 10:29 AM

Post #4 of 18 (12909 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And your point is??

La Isla

Feb 26, 2010, 1:27 PM

Post #5 of 18 (12888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] crime rates

| Private Reply

In Reply To
And your point is??

I was wondering why news stories from last November and December have been posted here 2 to 4 months after the fact.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Feb 26, 2010, 1:29 PM)

arbon

Feb 26, 2010, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 18 (12876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] crime rates

|

In Reply To

In Reply To
And your point is??

I was wondering why news stories from last November and December have been posted here 2 to 4 months after the fact. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It looks like the thread was posted on the wrong forum. But the op's questions still stand and were not answered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tashby

Feb 26, 2010, 3:38 PM

Post #7 of 18 (12857 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
In my last visit to Chapala in early February I noticed much more graffiti than in 2007, angry vivid scrawls on buildings. It seemed to be an expression of anger... or is this teenage angst of 2010?

Was there more graffiti than in 2007 or did you just notice more graffiti? A lot of people who live here seem to think that graffiti is a growing problem. I haven't lived here long enough - only a year and a half - to come to a conclusion. Whether it's "angry vivid scrawls", "expressions of anger" or is merely "teenage angst", I don't know. The wall in front of our house got tagged on Christmas morning, 2008, fourteen months ago. What was written was rather funny, actually. We painted over it quickly and it hasn't happened since. There have also been a couple of "paint it out" group efforts mounted in Ajijic, one of which even enlisted some of the guys who painted the graffiti in the first place.

What about crime, do you think it is rising because of the economy... and retired expats are easy pickings?

Is crime rising? People here seem to think so. Is it because of the economy? That's an easy conclusion to draw, but I don't know. I'm no expert on the ebb and flow of crime rates but a lot of people point to that logic.

Are "retired expats easy pickings"? If by that you mean slow-moving old people with money, then the answer is yes. They always have been. But you don't have to be retired or an expat to be an easy target, as those statistics you like so much will surely confirm.

Vichil

Feb 27, 2010, 8:06 AM

Post #8 of 18 (12775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] crime rates

| Private Reply
If you think we have lots of grafitti in Ajijic go and check San Cristobal de las Casas de las Casas.
When I went home to Paris last year I could not believe the grafitti on the chimneys of 10 story buildings on the Champs Elysees..they must have really angry athletic people there!! The crime rate must be up there too..

mensamia

Feb 27, 2010, 9:55 AM

Post #9 of 18 (12749 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I just wanted to know what people who actually live there thought... sorry to have offended you with the question.

tonyburton

Feb 27, 2010, 9:59 AM

Post #10 of 18 (12748 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
no offence taken, but I'm still bewildered as to why you followed up your original post with your own two responses (especially since they featured nothing new, but only events from months ago). but then I'm easy to bewilder...

mensamia

Feb 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

Post #11 of 18 (12744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] crime rates

| Private Reply
oops, couldn't find a more recent newspaper clipping as I am limited to English at the moment. The crime stats page has quite a few more recent crime accounts.

mensamia

Feb 27, 2010, 10:03 AM

Post #12 of 18 (12743 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
no offence taken, but I'm still bewildered as to why you followed up your original post with your own two responses (especially since they featured nothing new, but only events from months ago). but then I'm easy to bewilder...

I am also easy to bewilder... thought sharing the two english clippings would start a dialogue and I might learn something. I know there are people who will be bothered by this topic as their careers or property values might depend on continued influx of expats to Chapala and Ajijic but hopefully some objectivity with surpass the vested interests.

Relocating to an area is a huge move... just researching the area to be sure it fits me.

gpkgto

Feb 27, 2010, 10:34 AM

Post #13 of 18 (12738 views)

Shortcut

"Generacion Nini"

| Private Reply
Pres. Calderon spoke the other day about "Generacion Nini"--generation neither/nor. These are the young people throughout Mexico who "ni estudian, ni trabajan"--neither study nor work. Another Mexico advocate explained further that many of the "Ninis" used to go to the US for work. Now that that has become more difficult, and many of those already in the US have little or no work, the Ninis are turning to crime.

arbon

Feb 27, 2010, 11:23 AM

Post #14 of 18 (12725 views)

Shortcut

|
"Relocating to an area is a huge move... just researching the area to be sure it fits me."

But maybe you are still on the wrong forum, this forum is for the region of ............

Jalisco, Colima, Nayarit - including Guadalajara, Colima, Manzanillo, Barra de Navidad/Melaque, Puerto Vallarta.

Not the Lake Chapala area at this link. http://www.mexconnect.com/...s/gforum.cgi?forum=3;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wendy devlin

Feb 27, 2010, 6:57 PM

Post #15 of 18 (12672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] "Generacion Nini"

| Private Reply
Generacion Nini in Mexico perhaps is a similiar phenomena to Generacion 1.5 in the U.S.A as described recently in an article I read.

The article suggested that young people, born in Mexico but immigrating with their parents, illegally to the U.S.A. and raised there, fall in to Generacion 1.5.

Such children are able to attend elementary school and graduate from high school. Many do well academically and all learn to speak English fluently, often assuming the role of 'translator' within the family. Their parents often don't or can't learn English so matter how many years they live in the U.S.

However,the article stated that illegal immigrants cannot go on to further education(college or university) because of law. That leaves these bright, articulate teenagers, educated enough to think that they could go on, and stymied completely. Only able to get jobs at the lowest end of the employment scale as if they had never succeeded in school, in the first place. Prime targets for recruitment into criminal gangs, where their intelligence gets economically rewarded.

Ironically, their younger siblings, born in the U.S. can obtain citizenship and aren't necessarily as stymied in the same way. Younger siblings though, often copy or mirror behavior of older relatives, and the road is pre-paved into lucrative criminal activity.

I only read about this Generacion 1.5 recently so it's a new term for my understanding. Ditto for Generacion Nini.

However just learned about the extremely successful blacktar heroin business, making fast inroads into America from Mexico, via Sam Quinone's recent article, in the LA Times:

http://articles.latimes.com/...blacktar14-2010feb14

Call me drug-naive, but had no idea about this stuff and the small business 'model', something like pizza delivery, that is having a significant social impact. Flying under the radar, news-wise compared to the big drug business with its near daily blood-baths.

La Isla

Feb 27, 2010, 7:18 PM

Post #16 of 18 (12667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] "Generacion Nini"

| Private Reply

However,the article stated that illegal immigrants cannot go on to further education(college or university) because of law.

I think this article has some of its facts wrong. As I understand it, illegal immigrants can continue their education after graduating from high school, but they have to pay out-of-state tuition if they want to attend public universities or community colleges. Of course, this may make further study difficult or impossible due to the high cost of out-state-tuition, so the result is almost the same as the situation (mis)stated in the above quote.

Reefhound

Feb 27, 2010, 7:30 PM

Post #17 of 18 (12662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] "Generacion Nini"

| Private Reply

In Reply To

However,the article stated that illegal immigrants cannot go on to further education(college or university) because of law.

I think this article has some of its facts wrong. As I understand it, illegal immigrants can continue their education after graduating from high school, but they have to pay out-of-state tuition if they want to attend public universities or community colleges. Of course, this may make further study difficult or impossible due to the high cost of out-state-tuition, so the result is almost the same as the situation (mis)stated in the above quote.

That's not really accurate either. The norm in the past has been that illegals residing in a state were able to get in-state tuition rates and that has been one of the hot button issues with opponents of illegal immigration, e.g. a person from Indiana has to pay more to go to college in Texas than an illegal alien in Texas.

Recently, there have been some states starting to reverse course and charge illegals out of state tuition. I think the real limiting factor though is that an illegal can't get financial aid and the verification process would likely expose false or missing documents.

Here's one article on it.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2008-07-06-Illegaled_N.htm

mensamia

Mar 1, 2010, 11:27 AM

Post #18 of 18 (12567 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
thanks for telling me about posting it in the wrong forum, I posted in the right one. :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4