Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

willie1947@att.net

Feb 25, 2010, 9:20 PM

Post #1 of 3 (10735 views)

Shortcut

Retirement in Xalapa?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am a teacher in Ventura, California, with plans to retire soon in Mexico with my Mexican partner. I have visited Jalapa several times and think it might be a good place to live. I'd appreciate any comments you might have about the good, the bad, and the ugly of living there. I'd like to hear about these aspects of Xalapa:
climate
economy
cost of renting an apartment
cost of buying a house
food
cultural resources/activities
friendliness and openness of people
American ex-pat groups
traffic
crime and safety (especially with regard to the narcos)
If you are familiar with Queretaro and/or Morelia, I'd appreciate any comparisons you might make between them and Xalapa. Thanks in advance.

BillyD0123

Sep 12, 2010, 2:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (9613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [willie1947@att.net] Retirement in Xalapa?

I'm also looking forward to the comments to those questions.
I plan on relocating in a couple of years and still need to evaluate the east coast & west coast pro's and con's
:)

joaquinx

Sep 12, 2010, 3:01 PM

Post #3 of 3 (9609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [willie1947@att.net] Retirement in Xalapa?

In Reply To
I'd like to hear about these aspects of Xalapa:

climate
economy
cost of renting an apartment
cost of buying a house
food
cultural resources/activities
friendliness and openness of people
American ex-pat groups
traffic
crime and safety (especially with regard to the narcos)

I've lived in Xalapa for over 10 years and the only complaint I have is the traffic. The streets are narrow except for a few and there are more cars than parking places. Climate is good. We are at 1400 meters and receive the humidity from the coast which in turn creates what is known as a rain forest effect. Winters never go below 5C and summer never above 35C. I rent an apartment on the cheap side but a nice two bedroom will rent from 2,000 to 5,000 pesos a month with 3,500 being average. Of course, you can rent a condo for 5,000+. I wouldn't worry about buying a house until you have assured yourself that here is where you want to live. Communities of Coatepec and Xico are interesting places to rent or buy a house. Food is eatable, and we have Chedraui, Mega, WalMart, Superama, Costo and Sam's to choose from as well as weekly street mercados in some neighborhoods. As for cultural activities, the symphony is one of the best in Mexico. The University of Veracruz is centered here and offer a complete pallet of music, dance, etc. Xalapeños are a friendly lot. Ex-pat groups are few – actually borders on none, but no one complains. Traffic, once again, is horrid, but buses and taxis are plentiful and you can get to most of the town for 30 pesos or less by cab. I haven't noticed much influence by the narcos. Of course there are places that I wouldn't walk a night, but my neighborhood around Plaza Museo is quiet - discounting the traffic. I've never had problems even in el centro late at night.

Housing listings:

http://mexico.inmobiliaria.com/...-veracruz-Z22135.htm
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4