Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Marianne

Feb 13, 2010, 4:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (14013 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're here -- but my e-mail won't send any messages out (to the States), though I can receive e-mails. Can anyone help?

Marianne

Rolly

Feb 13, 2010, 5:10 PM

Post #2 of 8 (13992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marianne] E-mail

Tell us which e-mail service are you using. Then we may be able to help you.

Rolly Pirate

Marianne

Feb 13, 2010, 6:01 PM

Post #3 of 8 (13980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] E-mail

I have Solarus. Perhaps because my service connects through my phone at home is the reason it won't work here? I am basically computer illiterate.

Rolly

Feb 13, 2010, 6:16 PM

Post #4 of 8 (13977 views)

Shortcut

There several free services that work fine from México. I use hotmail.com.

Rolly Pirate

johnv

Feb 13, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (13960 views)

Shortcut

Try Mail-2-Web. Go to the Mail-2-Web site and enter your full email address and password in order to pick up new mail from any account. http://www.mail2web.com/

johanson / Moderator

Feb 14, 2010, 10:24 AM

Post #6 of 8 (13903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] E-mail

I give tech support at a local ISP along the shores of Lake Chapala. Yours sounds like a very common problem that a technician could fix for you in less than 60 seconds. You can continue to use your solarus email account down here. If you are connecting using a computer based program like Outlook, Outlook Express, windows live mail etc you need simply change your outgoing email server settings to match those of your Internet Service Provider down here.

But if you do not know how to do that (most of our clients don't) why not simply go the web page of your email service which would appear to be http://www.solarus.net/account_webmail.php where you are asked to enter your email address and your password. Once you have done so you can check your email from anywhere there is an internet connection be it dial up or high speed internet without making changes to your email program.

It's just that you will be using their web based service rather than your computer base perhaps Outlook Express software.

Good luck.

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 14, 2010, 10:25 AM)

Marianne

Feb 14, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #7 of 8 (13866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] E-mail

Thanks for the tip. I opened an account at hotmail. Sent my work place my new address. Will see tomorrow if they reply.

Reefhound

Feb 15, 2010, 10:00 PM

Post #8 of 8 (13826 views)

Shortcut

It might be a 60 second fix, or it might not. Sending email through a email client is much harder than receiving and for this you can blame all the spammers and hackers. Your ISP has a strong interest in blocking spam email because not only do they have the burden of processing it but worst case they can get flagged as a known spammer and blocked by all the others. That is unlikely the case but if so you are stuck with web mail.

Typically, your ISP provides you with an email account and you can send through that as a trusted sender. Many ISPs now block certain ports (e.g. port 25) and relays by default, though usually there is a way to authenticate an account as a trusted sender. I'm sure this is over your head but the point is that the issue could be your computer settings or your ISP policies.

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Feb 15, 2010, 10:05 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4