Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tonynico

Feb 5, 2010, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 15 (6825 views)

Shortcut

two choices on plates

Can't Post | Private Reply
I can keep my n.y. plates and fill out a form stating I am bringing my car out of the country. This will allow me to drop my insurance but I have to keep the car registered. I will have an impossible time coming back into the states (if ever I do) because I will need a n.y. residence to get insurance. and I don't have one so I will not be able to get the not allowed to drive reg changed to on road reg.

Or

I can get a SD. license and car reg. But I will have to go back to sd to renew license and hire someone to renew reg every year or two. and in addition maintain insurance even if it is only storage insurance. The upside is I will be able to get car back to the states.

Don't like the idea of having to go to sd to renew the drivers license.

Any thoughts

Rolly

Feb 5, 2010, 9:36 PM

Post #2 of 15 (6815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] two choices on plates

Why drop your NY insurance? Most companies allow for an deactivated policy (exact name varies) for a very low cost that can be reactivated when you wish to return to the States.

Rolly Pirate

tonynico

Feb 5, 2010, 10:15 PM

Post #3 of 15 (6801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] two choices on plates

I have liberty mutual.
They have nothing that comes close to a storage policy. I can lower my insurance to only liability 50k and it will still cost about 5 or 6 hundred.

So the above are my choices file papers for out of country keep plates keep them up to date and I am allowed to drop insurance. Or keep insurance and pay even though I am not using car

Or
Go to sd and get license and pay to have the reg renewed when it is up. and also come back when drivers license is up
and Pay storage insurance.
With this option I can get car back in the U.S

With option one I can't because can not put ny reg back on road since I can't get insurance because lack of a residence.

I lean towards N.Y. wont' cost anything but the up keep on the reg.
If I come back I can get a residence anywhere hand in n.y. plates and get new plates where ever I wind up.
Neither is perfect.

Tony

sanjuan

Feb 7, 2010, 7:07 AM

Post #4 of 15 (6715 views)

Shortcut

According to the Chapala forum Mary in Clay County SD as of yesterday is still doing renewals for people who have SD plates on their car in Mexico. No need to go there-just do it on the phone. It is uncertain yet as to whether or not she is still doing new registrations from afar.

frito

Feb 7, 2010, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 15 (6674 views)

Shortcut

Here's another choice...Texas not long ago enacted a law allowing insurance to be sold by the mile. I'll look up the company that does it and let you know. They sell the insurance in 1000 mile increments and good for 6 months. This allows people who drive very little or have 2nd vehicle that is garaged all the time to have only the insurance they need. If you own your car outright, not financed, it may run you less than $50 for a thousand miles. Since you have Mexican insurance only buy the minimum 1000 miles worth to satisfy the registration requirement. Everything is handled over the 'net too.

frito

Feb 7, 2010, 11:50 AM

Post #6 of 15 (6671 views)

Shortcut

The company is MileMeter at http://milemeter.com. Just google insurance by the mile and their website comes up. Might be some other choices too.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 7, 2010, 11:53 AM)

Rolly

Feb 7, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] two choices on plates

From reading the details of this program, it appears that only residents of Texas with a Texas driver's license, with a few exception, are eligible to purchase.

Rolly Pirate

frito

Feb 7, 2010, 12:42 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] two choices on plates

Yes, but if you establish your American domicile in Texas you should qualify. Escapees RV club in Livingston, TX is the biggest fulltime RVer group around and their members are from all over the country, are all over the country at any time(and many of them are in Mexico), but are legal Texas residents. Should be easy to establish Texas residency with them, or through a mail forwarding outfit. Get an address with the UPS Store in McAllen and get a driver's license there. You'll have a place to collect your American mail and either hold it or forward it to you.

Sunnyvmx

Feb 8, 2010, 5:18 AM

Post #9 of 15 (6574 views)

Shortcut

Texas has yearly mandatory vehicle inspections.

http://dementias-daughter.com. 30,000 hits by December.

frito

Feb 8, 2010, 6:10 AM

Post #10 of 15 (6560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] two choices on plates

That's interesting. I renewed my tag several months ago here in east Texas without an inspection. I think it is required in the larger cities plus when you bring a vehicle into Texas for the first time. My point with the insurance is that if you are going to have to renew your tags annually in person somewhere, why not in Texas if you can get a minimal policy that will meet requirements. Texas is right next door afterall. Just trying to help. Hopefully my professional license will arrive in the mail soon and I can get past my amateur status.

Brian

Feb 8, 2010, 6:21 AM

Post #11 of 15 (6554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] two choices on plates

Texas registration and inspection are separate entities. Often each windshield sticker has a different expiration date. It is no problem if an auto is out of the state for any length of time. Even with a seriously out of date inspection sticker, it is no problem when crossing the border northbound into Texas to stop at the first filling station that does inspections and get it done. The important thing is not to be driving the car in Texas without a current inspection sticker. Proof of minimum liability insurance must be shown at the time of inspection. It is a simple matter when entering the US to stop at one of the ubiquitous Fred Loya insurance stores and buy a monthly policy for about $30. They will bill your credit card monthly. When returning to Mexico, it is a simple matter to cancel the policy and then go through the same procedure the next time you come up whenever and no matter how long a time that may be.

frito

Feb 8, 2010, 6:37 AM

Post #12 of 15 (6552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] two choices on plates

You are correct. I was thinking of emissions testing that's only required in certain counties. The Dept of Public Safety website states that if you are out of state with a Texas registered vehicle, be in compliance with the state you are in. On return to Texas you have 3 days to renew an expired inspection sticker. At any rate, if you've come up to Texas to renew registration, just take care of the inspection then. Of course, it will mean that you(anyone who does this, not you Brian) are officially a Texan! Good Lord, what'll the folks back home think?!(She what? Moved to Mexico?! Oh my Gawd! What do you mean it gets worse? She's a TEXAN? Oh where did we go wrong?!!!)

Brian

Feb 8, 2010, 7:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (6535 views)

Shortcut

Of course, it will mean that you(anyone who does this, not you Brian) are officially a Texan! Good Lord, what'll the folks back home think?!(She what? Moved to Mexico?! Oh my Gawd! What do you mean it gets worse? She's a TEXAN? Oh where did we go wrong?!!!)

"You just can't live in Texas if you don't have a lot of soul"

Doug Sahm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TphoKBScfM&feature=related

(This post was edited by Brian on Feb 8, 2010, 7:26 AM)

frito

Feb 8, 2010, 7:56 AM

Post #14 of 15 (6521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] two choices on plates

After having lived in 5 Texas cities in almost 10 years I think I can truthfully say that a non-Texan doesn't really "live" in Texas, just endures it!

RickS

Feb 9, 2010, 6:18 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6419 views)

Shortcut

tonynico,

It looks like you have been given several viable options to solve your dilemma. I would, however, like to address your SD comments.

You said, "I can get a SD. license and car reg. but I will have to go back to SD to renew license and hire someone to renew reg every year or two..... Don't like the idea of having to go to SD to renew the drivers license."

I assume that by "SD license" you are referring to a driver's license. And yes, I guess one would have to go back to SD to renew a driver's license but that would probably not be but every 5 years.... and that really isn't a perfect option I agree.

But you do not have to "hire someone to renew registration every year or two" in SD as that can be done by mail to Clay County SD every year and is done annually by tons of people both here in Mexico as well as full time RV'ers in the States.

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 9, 2010, 6:21 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4