Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tashby

Feb 2, 2010, 11:54 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5059 views)

Shortcut

WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Gringal's excellent threads on Issues to consider before and after moving to Mexico has me wondering about this question, which I don't think I've ever seen here. (If it exists in the vault....sorry.) I'm sure a lot of people who've moved back no longer have an interest in Mexico and don't particpate in forums like this one. But I know there are a least some members of MexConnect who have lived in Mexico and subsequently chose to return to their former home-country. I'm wondering why.

I imagine a lot of times the reason is a desire to be nearer to family. Sometimes probably health/medical or financial reasons. Those I expect. But I'm particularly curious as to what other reasons might exist. Did living in Mexico not meet expectations somehow? Did you discover that it was fun for a while but then the novelty wore off? Did you decide that there were things you missed from back home and simply didn't want to do without them any longer?

Curious.

(This post was edited by tashby on Feb 2, 2010, 11:56 AM)

lostinmex

Feb 2, 2010, 12:12 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

Can't Post |
My Mexican sister-in-law left Mexico in 1980 to escape an abusive husband. She eventually settled in Boston and ultimately became a US citizen

In 2007 she and her gringo husband sold their business in Boston,retired,and moved to Guadalajara to be with her family.

Six weeks ago,they returned to Boston. According to her,after living in the US for 20+ years she had become accustomed to having public services which work, public servants which do not demand bribes,water she can drink from the tap, a post office which actually works,a legal system which works (her divorce in Mexico cost her a fortune in bribes).

She rapidly became completely disillusioned and disgusted with life in Mexico-she says she will never return to Mexico.

We have numerous Mexican friends and relatives whose children have all left Mexico for the US,Canada,Spain,and Germany. These kids are university educated and have well-paying jobs in their adopted countries. They also pay taxes. They have no desire to return to Mexico except to visit family. It's a loss for Mexico but so it goes.

sparks

Feb 2, 2010, 4:08 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

I think about it as I get older but 'where ya gonna go' with decent weather, little need for car and not overly expensive. Don't want medical just to keep me alive, don't have family to move in with.

Right now Chapala weather is just like Seattle but know it's gonna get better unless Global cooling has finally set it

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

mazbook1

Feb 2, 2010, 5:03 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lostinmex] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

But the sad cases aren't the Mexicans that go north and become pochos, it's the gringos who didn't do their due diligence, came to México burning their bridges behind them and discovered after a fairly short time—rarely over a year—that they just couldn't adapt to such a different culture, lifestyle and language. The ones who could, sold out and returned, albeit to a lower standard of living than they had enjoyed in México and usually accepted their part in the fiasco, although some became vocally anti-México. The ones who couldn't return, for whatever reason, usually, but not always, economic, turn into the bitter, vitriolic, México haters who we all see on various forums. Never a good word to say, never admitting that it was mostly their own fault. Never admitting there is anything good about México at all.

Those are the saddest ones in my opinion, although I'm a sort of reverse pocho, since I came to México with my eyes open, went into business, embraced the culture, the language and the people, became a Mexican citizen and fully admit that not ANY of tashby's GOOD reasons would be enough to drag me back across to el otro lado!

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Feb 2, 2010, 5:06 PM)

Gringal

Feb 2, 2010, 5:52 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

I suspect that those who don't return but stay bitter and vitreolic were probably that way before they came.
It's true that: "wherever you go, there you are." And here they are. If you gave them a suitcase of money and a ticket home, they'd be a PITA wherever they landed. They probably had unrealistic expectations of happiness in Mexico.
They tried to "do a geographical". Never works for long.
There's a reason why we have so many retirees with a drinking problem. But that's a whole 'nother thread and I'm not going there.

chinagringo

Feb 2, 2010, 6:29 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

Gringal:

What I have concluded over the years of following this and other forums is that the most bitter are the ones that moved to Mexico strictly because of the cost of living providing them with bragging rights to their friends NOB on just how smart they were! For example, when prices started escalating in the Lake Chapala area, they were a whole bunch of people complaining about it but the reality was that the World Economy was doing the same and Mexico was simply following along.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ken_in_dfw

Feb 2, 2010, 7:14 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] WHY DID YOU LEAVE MEXICO AND RETURN TO THE US/CANADA OR ELSEWHERE?

Can't Post |
Neil,

Concerning your comment: "What I have concluded over the years of following this and other forums is that the most bitter are the ones that moved to Mexico strictly because of the cost of living providing them with bragging rights to their friends NOB on just how smart they were!"

My response is: well, if that's what they're living for, they're not doing much living.

What a waste.

Ken

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4