Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tonynico

Feb 1, 2010, 7:53 AM

Post #1 of 17 (7528 views)

Shortcut

South Dakota

Can't Post | Private Reply
In the course of looking for options about car registration. I went to the S.D DMV website. To download the two forms that you need to registar your car in S.D. There was only one of the forms listed,the damage form was not listed I called the DMV in Clay County. She asked me if I was out of state. She then informed me that as of last week they are no longer registaring cars from out of state. You need a SD license and a address.
Bad news.
Tony

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Feb 1, 2010, 8:57 AM)

Rolly

Feb 1, 2010, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 17 (7517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] South Dakota

Did she say anything about renewals for existing registrations of out-of-state residents?

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Feb 1, 2010, 8:56 AM)

tonynico

Feb 1, 2010, 8:19 AM

Post #3 of 17 (7508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] South Dakota

Hi Rollly
I happened to ask and she said that at this time she believes that people aready tagged in that state will be allowed to renew.
She sounded sad that the law changed.
She also said check back maybe it will change again. Fat chance!!

On another topic can you give me contacts for medical insurance in Mexico I know you posted a list of auto companies do you have any numbers for medical or can you give me the number for AXA?

I am sorry to be the messenger of bad news.

Ron

Rolly

Feb 1, 2010, 8:33 AM

Post #4 of 17 (7493 views)

Shortcut

For medical insurance companies, look here http://rollybrook.com/health.htm#Companies

Rolly Pirate

Hound Dog

Feb 1, 2010, 9:05 AM

Post #5 of 17 (7463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] Sout Dakota

She asked me if I was out of state. She then informed me that as of last week they are no longer registaring cars from out of state. You need a SD license and a address.
Bad news.

Not that I am unsympathetic with your plight,Tony, but this is very much in keeping with the laws of most if not all states including South Dakota except in Clay County where, until now, it looks like she was running her own regional DMV out of Vermillion. I agree with you that it seems unlikely that the state of SD will continue to renew these Mexico domiciled cars in the future but who knows? It certainly makes sense that one should be required to prove residency, and I´m not talking a P.O. Box here, in order to register a car in one´s home state. As far back as 2001, the state of Alabama refused to issue me plates unless I submitted proof of residency and also brought the car in to the state DMV in Mobile County where I claimed to live since I had relatives there. Maybe someone posting here knows of a state where a person living in Mexico and, perhaps from another, stricter, state can be registered but I seriously doubt that with the present state of paranoia in the U.S.

Thre is one solution if you have the cash. Buy a new or used Mexican plated vehicle and drive that U.S. plated vehicle back to the U.S. and sell it. We did this by driving two California plated vehicles with long-expired plates to the border at Nuevo Laredo where we sold them after exporting them legally.

It is true that we are FM-2 holders achieving inmigrado status this year (thus had to sell our California plated cars before applying for inmigrado status) and maintain no residence in the U.S. but I believe one can live part of the year in the U.S. garaging and driving a Mexican plated car with no hassle as long as one is also a resident of Mexico with FM-2 or FM-3 status. In fact, our Mexican insurance by AXA in Mexico City on our Mexican vehicle purchased in Guadalajara covers us automatically for liability in both the United States and Guatemala.

I´m no insurance expert but I do have one of the best insurance agents in Mexico in my opinion. So service and client oriented that we have not only car insurance with him but major medical and two homeowner´s policies all issued by AXA. His name is Jesus Tejeda Mejorada and he works out of Guadalajara. He can be reached on his cell phone at 044 or 045 (333) 667 0499. If you are thinking of purchasing a Mexican plated vehicle and have any technical questions, give him a no-obligation call. His English is excellent.

It´s a shame the U.S. makes it so difficult for its many thousands of law abiding citizens retired in Mexico and lawfully paying U.S. taxes every year.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Feb 1, 2010, 9:20 AM)

frito

Feb 1, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #6 of 17 (7381 views)

Shortcut

Check out http://www.alternativeresources.net/ for info on current requirements in South Dakota. They are a mail forwarding service used by fulltime RVers. They have a legal work around that's acceptable to authorities to get driver's license and establish residency. Click on driver's license for more info there. Apparently while Clay County may have been the one to go to for out of state renewals it appears that establishing residency and registering vehicles is fairly easy anywhere in South Dakota.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 1, 2010, 3:40 PM)

tonynico

Feb 1, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #7 of 17 (7314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] South Dakota

I live in New York and New York has a two year reg. I can get a form fs113 this form states I am taking the car out of the country which allows me to keep the plates and reg.,I have to keep the reg current though. Here is where the problem comes in If I have to bring it back to the U.S. because I am leaving Mexico, New York says I can get insurance and drive it back to N.Y and get a new reg to drive it in the U.S. But you cannot get insurance without a NY address no MBE. or P.O.
So you cannot drive it on the roads in the U.S. because you cannot get insurance.
But if You live in the Southern part of Mexico Can't I drive it to Belize or the frontier. Sell the car there then turn the plates into New York.

Tony

frito

Feb 1, 2010, 8:41 PM

Post #8 of 17 (7300 views)

Shortcut

I'm no expert but I think if you are in Mexico on a visa you have to account to Mexican authorities the whereabouts of your American plated car. Unless you want to maintain your New York residency why not establish your domicile in South Dakota? That website makes it sound like a fairly straightforward process. But you should ask the people here who know much more about it. The thread got me curious and with a look at a RV forum I found that website. The upshot is that people can still take advantage of South Dakota's easy requirements and register their vehicle, get a driver's license, and establish residency without having to live there. And as states have the right to decide their own requirements, there's nothing illegal or underhanded about it.

BajaGringo

Feb 2, 2010, 3:29 PM

Post #9 of 17 (7223 views)

Shortcut

Other states put the heat on them to drop the non-resident registration. It was cutting into other states revenues.

Too bad...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

frito

Feb 2, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #10 of 17 (7183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] South Dakota

You should look at that website I posted. Appears you can still establish residency there without actually living there.

sanjuan

Feb 5, 2010, 10:54 AM

Post #11 of 17 (7093 views)

Shortcut

According to the Chapala forum South Dakota has resumed issuing registration to those out of state. You have to follow the directions exactly and speak only to Mary in the Clay County treasurers' office.

Link to original post/information: http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com/south_dakota_registration.htm

[post edited in interests of netiquette]

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Feb 5, 2010, 11:21 AM)

tashby

Feb 5, 2010, 4:43 PM

Post #12 of 17 (7046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] South Dakota

Sorry for the intrusion folks, don't really care about the license plate thing, but this....

follow the directions exactly and speak only to Mary

...just kills me it's so funny.

(This post was edited by tashby on Feb 5, 2010, 4:44 PM)

sanjuan

Feb 5, 2010, 4:58 PM

Post #13 of 17 (7038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] South Dakota

Makes it sound like it is illegal-maybe it is.

In Reply To
Sorry for the intrusion folks, don't really care about the license plate thing, but this....

follow the directions exactly and speak only to Mary

...just kills me it's so funny.

sioux4noff

Feb 5, 2010, 6:12 PM

Post #14 of 17 (7016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] South Dakota

I spoke to 3 different, equally helpful folks all in Clay county.

frito

Feb 5, 2010, 6:13 PM

Post #15 of 17 (7016 views)

Shortcut

Actually you don't need to go just to Clay County. But you do actually have to have at least a 24 hr presence in S.D.. Pretty smart on their part. Many thousands of RVers and others spending money to eat, sleep, entertain, etc all throughout the year. Might as well take in Deadwood and Mt.Rushmore while there and make a week of it. For those contemplating a move out of the country it would be worth your while to read fulltime RVer websites for tips on mail forwarding, domiciles, etc.

sanjuan

Feb 6, 2010, 5:21 AM

Post #16 of 17 (6967 views)

Shortcut

A lot of people in the Lake Chapala area have SD plates but none of them are from there or have ever been there. They say it can all be done from Mexico without ever going near SD.

In Reply To
Actually you don't need to go just to Clay County. But you do actually have to have at least a 24 hr presence in S.D.. Pretty smart on their part. Many thousands of RVers and others spending money to eat, sleep, entertain, etc all throughout the year. Might as well take in Deadwood and Mt.Rushmore while there and make a week of it. For those contemplating a move out of the country it would be worth your while to read fulltime RVer websites for tips on mail forwarding, domiciles, etc.

frito

Feb 6, 2010, 5:29 AM

Post #17 of 17 (6964 views)

Shortcut

The law has changed very recently. The website I posted earlier is one of many companies with websites that explain the new requirements. You now "prove" you are a resident with a receipt from a motel or RV park proving you've spent the night there. If you can circumvent that, great. If it's the law to show you've met the minimum requirement then I'm betting you can't circumvent it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4