Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 6:11 AM

Post #1 of 28 (10322 views)

Shortcut

Car Insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
Ok here it is. I found a company that will insure the car without a registration. It will also give me full coverage without U.S insurance. ANA good prices $190.99 for $300,000 liablility, lawyer, medical evac. even though I will not use the evac.
So I will be able to let my New York plate expire. But here is the rub. In New York if you let the plate expire you need to hand in the plate or they suspend your licence

When New York switched plates from Liberty plates to the new plate they let you keep the old plate which I have. It has the same numbers the only difference it the Statue of liberty is gone.

After coming into Mexico I was thinking of swithcing the plates and sending back to New York the current plates
But if I take the car out of Mexico because it is dying will I have trouble at the U.S boarder ? Will the U.S. issue me temp plates
and temp insurance or will the check and say your plates are the old plates.

The old plates were issued about 18yrs ago so My reg will be newer then the plates ( even though both will be expired)
Or wlll they check and see my plates were actually handed in.

The other possability is I can can a form that lets me drop my insurance and keep my plates if I take car out of country.
But I might or might not have to keep the registration current. I will have to check on that.

Ron

Reefhound

Jan 30, 2010, 6:42 AM

Post #2 of 28 (10300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] Car Insurance

Coming into the U.S. from Mexico in a private car, I've never had them run license plates or VINs. They have always just asked for passports and looked inside at all the passengers, maybe asked a few questions about where we've been (I think they are just trying to engage you in conversation to see if you are stressed or evasive), and once looked in the back.

Of course, every car is photographed as you enter the customs lane and that will clearly show your license plate. I don't know if anyone researches that or not. They may be using optical recognition software to scan for wanted plate numbers.

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 6:47 AM

Post #3 of 28 (10295 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Car Insurance

I thought they issue temp plates if they expired. Or is it a temp reg. You can't get insurance on expired plates.

Ron

sanjuan

Jan 30, 2010, 11:34 AM

Post #4 of 28 (10257 views)

Shortcut

You can get insurance in Mexico with expired plates or are you referring to US insurance.

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 12:23 PM

Post #5 of 28 (10242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] Car Insurance

Ok I will see if I can be more clear

If I turn in my current plates which NY requires you to do. and I put on older plates that have the same plate number as the newer plates that I turned in it will match my registration and I can get Mexican insurance. I understand that.
But when I leave Mexico I am entering the U.S. with plates that were recalled by New York years ago and NY has it on record that I handed in my plates will I have a problem at the boarder. Can i get temp plates and by temp insurance at the U.S boarder. How do I get my car back into the states if not. How do other people with expired plates get there cars back. Now in my case it is not expired I had to hand plates back to u.s. and put older plates that are no longer valid on the car. If the boarder officials do hand out temp plates and you can buy temp insurance. The fact that I did what I did would it complicate things. I hope I was clearer, and if anyone can help me please let me know it would be appreciated.

Tony

Rolly

Jan 30, 2010, 1:13 PM

Post #6 of 28 (10225 views)

Shortcut

Driving back to the USA with expired plates is just about impossible now. Texas used to issue temp plates good for 30 days all over the country. It is my understanding that now they will issue a short term permit good only for transit to a specified place in Texas. Short term insurance is available to properly registered cars, but there may be issues with an address in the USA. None of this is easy since the national security crackdown.

If you think you will need to drive back, your best bet is to have your insurance company change your policy to a "storage" policy that can be reactivated when you want to drive north.

Perhaps some one with recent experience will join the discussion.

Rolly Pirate

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 1:42 PM

Post #7 of 28 (10212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Car Insurance

I am thnking in case the car is on it's last legs you have to remove in order to bring another one in. A permit would work, even if it is to bring it to a specific place. From there I can sell it or junk it. I heard they sell temp insurance at the boarder, is this correct?

thanks
Tony

Rolly

Jan 30, 2010, 1:47 PM

Post #8 of 28 (10210 views)

Shortcut

If the car becomes a junker, you do not have to take it out of México. Aduana has a procedure for getting a junker off the computer. Scratch that off your worry list.

Rolly Pirate

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 2:29 PM

Post #9 of 28 (10200 views)

Shortcut

Rolly
Thank you one less worry

Tony

sanjuan

Jan 30, 2010, 2:46 PM

Post #10 of 28 (10190 views)

Shortcut

A lot of Americans get around the problem of expired plates from their home state by getting South Dakota registration and plates.
RVGringo on the Chapala forum explains how to do it thus;

"Please, DO NOT attempt to register in SD by using a website. You can only do it through Clay County; absolutely no other location or contact. The SD DMV may not be aware of this service that Clay County so kindly provides for us.

Here's how to do it:

1. The only reason to go to the website (state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/forms.htm) is to get the application form and damage waiver form.
You may fill out the application online, then print the two forms.

2. Have your present title at hand and telephone the Clay County Treasurer's Office at 1-605-677-7123 and simply say that you would like to register your car.
They will ask for the details from your title, mileage on the vehicle and it's color, your U.S. address and Social Security number. Then, they'll give you the amount you need to pay.

3. Mail your check, the two forms and the original title (make a copy to keep) to the address below:

Clay County Treasurer
211 W. Main St.
Suite 201
Vermillion, SD 57069

In approximately two weeks, your new license plates will arrive at your MBE, Sol y Luna or Handy Mail box; sooner if they are delivered to an actual address in the USA; a relative or friend, who can then forward them to you. About a week later, you will receive the new SD title by separate mail.

If you follow those steps, exactly, you will have no problems. To vary the steps, or to ask for, or volunteer too much information, might cause problems.

Clay County will send an annual renewal form to the US address. Instead of following the instructions on the form, you must telephone Clay County and renew with a major US credit card; in spite of what the card says.

tonynico

Jan 30, 2010, 3:17 PM

Post #11 of 28 (10185 views)

Shortcut

Do you have to have insurance for SD? New York will let me take the car to a foreign country and drop my insurance for the time it is out of country. The problem comes in they say I need a residence. But the webiste says I can be out of state and have the car registered in New York I need to check further.
Thanks for the info.

Ron

sanjuan

Jan 30, 2010, 3:22 PM

Post #12 of 28 (10179 views)

Shortcut

Sorry I don't know. This thread should explain it;
http://www.canadiantire.ca/...;bmUID=1264893273525

Marlene

Jan 30, 2010, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 28 (10147 views)

Shortcut

I think you posted the wrong link.

sanjuan

Jan 31, 2010, 5:05 AM

Post #14 of 28 (10112 views)

Shortcut

The correct link won't post; http://www.chapala.com/wwwboard/webboard.html
But if you go to the above and search for insurance and scroll down to the post starting "How does it work with those South Dakota plates" you will see the thread-hopefully.

In Reply To
Sorry I don't know. This thread should explain it;
http://www.canadiantire.ca/...;bmUID=1264893273525

Demonio

Jan 31, 2010, 12:17 PM

Post #15 of 28 (10076 views)

Shortcut

In California you can opt for a Planned Non-Operation (PNO) registration. It's meant for those who want to store their vehicle and not drive it. There is a fee, but it's nominal compared to the full registration cost. I plan to file for a PNO when my car (which is currently in Mexico with me) registration becomes due. The way I see it, the vehicle is in "planned non-operation" in California, so it applies to me too. If and when I decide to return the vehicle to the States I will simply inform DMV (a few weeks in advance) that I now intend to take my car out of storage and pay for the full registration. All of this is done very easily online.

I cancel insurance on the car I have in Mexico while here (I have four others and a motorcycle insured by the same company in the States). When I want to reinstate the insurance I simply email my insurance agent and attach photos of the front and back of the car, and I'm insured again. tonynico, perhaps you should check with N.Y. DMV and your insurance agent to see if you can get the same options. I'm insured by Mercury Insurance in the States and of course I'm insured by a Mexican insurance company while in Mexico. Hope this helps.

G

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

(This post was edited by Demonio on Jan 31, 2010, 12:19 PM)

NEOhio1

Jan 31, 2010, 4:54 PM

Post #16 of 28 (10038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Demonio] Car Insurance

On a recent trip across the Texas border it was obvious, after the fact, that the optical scanners do indeed read the license plate and call up the registration.

We were pulled over in the US entry and asked to open all the car doors, hood and trunk and to stepa way from the car. The looked very carefully inside the trunk and engine, looked at nothing int he car, and then told us to close it up and be on our way.

It wasn't until 2 weeks later that we found out what was up with that stop at the US border entry. While traveling rather swiftly in a solid group of cars and trucks thru the Texas hill country just outside of Eagles Pass a County Sheriff stopped us. He picked us out of the pack. He approached the car speaking Spanish. Mentioned my speed but then asked me to open the trunk which I did. After a bit, he returned to the front of the car and told me that I should watch my speed, but also when I got home I should check with South Dakota about the color noted on the registration of the car - his in car computer told him it was white, but it is green - which is why he picked us out of the pack figuring the car had been stolen and painted.

Which explains the border detail looking over the interior and doors of the car when we came in.

Sure enough the South Dakota default color on vehicles is white. They changed it with a phone call.

mexliving

Jan 31, 2010, 5:34 PM

Post #17 of 28 (10027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Car Insurance

i have my truck registered out of florida for 2 years at a time..... my first time down in mexico i had geico insurance... after the 5 months in mexico i called geico and explained i had insurance during my trip down in mexico and they actually gave me a refund once i faxed documentation of entry and exit in mexico..... only problem was the next term they would not insure me at all..... i figured becaused they lost money.

south dakota seems like a good idea.... although your from new york..... you have friends in florida.. florida dmv is very easy.... they have plates ready to be issued when you register your car/truck... the only issue is the tittle... i like that i simply pay for 2 year registration and not worry about it.. and insurance is cheap out there...

chinagringo

Jan 31, 2010, 5:43 PM

Post #18 of 28 (10026 views)

Shortcut

Interesting comments NEOhio1! At our border crossing of choice out of and into New Mexico, I have noticed the cameras while sitting in line approaching the crossing point but have never looked to see if there was a camera behind us when we got to the Customs/Immigration Inspector. New Mexico only has rear plates and the only way they could recognize the plate was with a camera behind when we get to the crossing. I was aware that they do track you as to how often you cross the border but thought that mainly came from your documents.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Maztex

Feb 20, 2011, 7:41 PM

Post #19 of 28 (8640 views)

Shortcut

May I ask what you are doing for US car insurance when you are driving in the States? I have checked with Clay County, South Dakota, and it is pretty clear how to title and register my car in that state, but what I am not sure about is how to insure my car for the few weeks out of the year when we drive in the US. If possible, I would like to have a low-cost "storage" policy so that if I ever decide to return to the States I will be able to show continuous coverage and qualify for competitive rates; during brief driving trips in the States, we would take out additional short-term insurance.

I called one insurance agent in South Dakota and was told I would need a SD address before I could take out any kind of SD car insurance policy; the agent seemed to think a "PMB" (personal mail box) -type address might work, but when I later folowed up with a second agent at the same agency the question seemed to have a less clear answer.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any advice is much appreciated.

MazTex

Rolly

Feb 20, 2011, 7:49 PM

Post #20 of 28 (8630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maztex] Car Insurance

Many storage policies have an activation feature which allows you to awaken the policy for shorts periods.
I have never encountered a policy that did not require a physical address.
Prices are often (usually? always?) based on ZIP codes..

Rolly Pirate

tonynico

Feb 20, 2011, 8:40 PM

Post #21 of 28 (8610 views)

Shortcut

That is what I have found as well you need a physical address. I am thinking of giving up on keeping U.S. insurance since I will not have a physical address. It is a shame but I guess I have to deal with it.
But your correct would be nice to have so if you come back you can get favorable rates.

But I have a question If I have a U.S. car and Mexican insurance can I go to the boarder and get temp insurance to drive my car in the U.S. for a short period of time?

Tony

bournemouth

Feb 21, 2011, 6:23 AM

Post #22 of 28 (8558 views)

Shortcut

This company seems to fill the bill for short term US insurance on US plated vehicles:

https://www.segurogringo.us/?language7=en-US

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 21, 2011, 7:21 AM)

tonynico

Feb 21, 2011, 9:59 PM

Post #23 of 28 (8465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Car Insurance

I think now I have it all covered.
Register the car in S.D. have them send me plates and title, then apply for the Mexican papers to bring the car in to Mexico.
Keep my plates on in N.Y. and keep N.Y. insurance. Drive the car to FL where I will be shipping the car. Remove N.Y. plates put on S.D. plates and Reg. give the car to the shipper. After New York motor vehicals gets plates cancel insurance.

If I come back to the U.S. with the car the co. mentioned in the above thread does supply U.S. insurance only up to $30,000 U.S ( I called them) price $40 for two weeks. Good enough to get the car in the states to sell and then pick up a new one. Or maybe take the car to Belize to sell for junk.

That is the plan anyway.

Tony

RickS

Feb 22, 2011, 9:26 AM

Post #24 of 28 (8409 views)

Shortcut

South Dakota will require you to send them the (original) New York title when you apply for their title/plates. In other words, you will be driving (for some amount of time) a N.Y. plated/insured car with no (original) title to show if the situation should present itself.

tonynico

Feb 22, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #25 of 28 (8339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Car Insurance

In 43 years of driving i have never been asked for my title. I called the N.Y. dmv I explained that I am getting my car registered in S.D. I asked when do I have to turn in my plates they said it is up to me.
If I am stopped in N.Y. They will check the computer and see I am registered in N.Y. with insurance.
S.D. does not send the title back to N.Y.
I think it will work.

Tony
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4