Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

cynthrod

Jan 30, 2010, 7:19 AM

Post #1 of 9 (6461 views)

Shortcut

Clothes for Guadalajara?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm coming to Guadalajara in a few days and am not sure what clothes to bring... can someone help me decide on the range of clothing for warm days, cold nights... it's hard to guess at this from a distance.
Many thanks

lostinmex

Jan 30, 2010, 8:14 AM

Post #2 of 9 (6449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cynthrod] Clothes for Guadalajara?

Can't Post |
We live in Guadalajara.

We seem to have passed the coldest period,however we still wear sweaters in the evening and mornings. During the day it's sunny and very nice. Depending on your tolerance for cool weather,you might not need a sweater during the day ( Coming from New York,I don't use a sweater during the day,but our Mexican neighbors do). We haven't had any rain for a couple of weeks.

The weather should be getting progressively warmer and drier from now til June.

Have a nice trip.

PS: here's a forecast,which if accurate,will make a liar out of me about the rain:
http://www.nytimes.com/weather

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 30, 2010, 9:59 AM)

cynthrod

Jan 30, 2010, 11:02 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lostinmex] Clothes for Guadalajara?

thank you so much... it sounds like light slacks will work for both day and night... does that sound right? Not too hot for them days?
And you don't need a coat at night?
Thanks again in advance.

esperanza

Jan 30, 2010, 11:23 AM

Post #4 of 9 (6417 views)

Shortcut

If you're coming from a colder climate, you will believe that this time of year is quite warm in Guadalajara. Light slacks will be fine. No coats needed. Just remember that Guadalajara is a city destination, not a beach vacation, and guide your dress accordingly.

Here's another, generally accurate Guadalajara weather page: http://www.wunderground.com/...amp;wuSelect=WEATHER

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 30, 2010, 11:29 AM

Post #5 of 9 (6413 views)

Shortcut

You will see some native tapatios wearing coats at night. More to make a fashion statement than necessity. I wear a light sweater or sweatshirt sometimes with a jacket when I go for my daily walk at 6am.

From midmorning until sundown the temps are very comfortable. Usually shirt sleeve weather.

cynthrod

Jan 30, 2010, 11:38 AM

Post #6 of 9 (6410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Clothes for Guadalajara?

Thank you Esperanza and Manual Desterity... you have helped me a lot... I can take that coat out of my suitcase!!!

cynthrod

Jan 30, 2010, 12:25 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6394 views)

Shortcut

I meant... thanks Lost in Mexico, as well...

lostinmex

Jan 30, 2010, 1:52 PM

Post #8 of 9 (6376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Clothes for Guadalajara?

Can't Post |
This morning I set the trash out at 8:00 a.m. I went out in my shirtsleeves,but our neighbor across the street-also setting the trash out-was dressed in jacket,gloves,and a scarf covering his mouth.

Much depends on what you're accustomed to. If you come from Canada or the US upper midwest you can tolerate much more than the locals.

Georgia

Feb 1, 2010, 6:34 PM

Post #9 of 9 (6304 views)

Shortcut

I also have a home in greater Guadalajara, in Tlaquepaque. I've lived here for a number of years and I get COLD at this time of year. My coat isn't a fashion statement; it's a necessity. We've had an odd winter this year: rain, colder and damper than I remember, and I am looking forward to the hot weather of April and May so I can feel my fingers again!
In the city, just as in New York City, black slacks are the order of the day. Jeans for daytime wear are also very acceptable, if it's not a sloppy look. What does look odd are the tourists who look like they are going on safari.
Bring sunscreen. The midday sun is sharp here even in the vcool weather.
Bring a small umbrella. As I said, we've had some odd weather here this year. The Mexicans say that El Nino is angry.
My Mexican friends tend toward jeans, a nice shirt and a blazer during the day. A little dressier pair of slacks and tops (plus the coat, of course) for the evenings.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4