Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

mike lenane

Jan 28, 2010, 6:46 PM

Post #1 of 4 (5027 views)

Shortcut

sea kayaking the gulf coast

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am seriouly considering a move to Mexico in the next few years when I retire or get retired. I have to say how much I enjoy this sight and the respectful way everyone treats each other. I wondered if anyone has information on or experience sea kayaking south of Veracruz. Everything I see of the area makes it seem perfect for it, but I can find nothing on line about it nor can I find any rentals in Veracruz.

tepetapan

Jan 29, 2010, 5:13 AM

Post #2 of 4 (5000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mike lenane] sea kayaking the gulf coast

Rancho Los Amigos, located in the Laguna de Sontecomapan, can fix you up. Located in the Los Tuxtlas area, about 30 minutes from Catemaco. Great time in the laguna ( 6 rivers feed the laguna, real jungle) and opens up into the Gulf of Mexico. Very beautiful area, rivers and waterfalls entering the Gulf, mountains, coves . Not far south of where the laguna opens into the gulf is a reef, fairly shallow and close to shore. You can see it on Google Earth....really nice area.

Sunnyvmx

Jan 29, 2010, 5:40 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4998 views)

Shortcut

Hola Mike, I live in Catemaco about three blocks from the lake. We are three hours south of Veracruz on the Gulf about half and hour from the beach. The Tepetapan Casita and RV park has rentals off and on throughout the year and some fulltime residents. In my one bedroom casita (very large) I happen to have a two seater inflated kayak for the lake and lagoon which leads to the sea. My friend next door also has a one-person kayak although she doesn't keep hers inflated in her bedroom. The lake and lagoon offers very scenic paddles and although we enjoy a day at the beach, sea kayaking isn't for us. The Caribbean and all it has to offer is an easy drive from here and most travelers on their way to and from the Yucatan use our park as a pleasurable stop. Personally, retiring to Mexico was the best decision I have ever made and I couldn't be happier in my tropical paradise. I can't offer margaritas on my garden patio right now because I haven't replaced my tequila from the last group that passed through. We had a great time during their visit and they are planning to return. Read and possibly contact keelhauler for more kayaking info at http://khmexico10.blogspot.com/.

raferguson

Jan 30, 2010, 1:27 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4956 views)

Shortcut

There is a very active sea kayaking group in Mexico, and in Veracruz in particular. They use a google group listserver. In fact, they are having sea kayak clinics this weekend.

cayucosmarineros@googlegroups.com

The listserver is 99% Spanish, but Rafael, the leader, and a very nice guy, speaks excellent English. I paddled with him when I was in Catemaco. I have not met any other group members, but would guess that many of them speak English, given that many of them have professional jobs in Mexico.

I enjoy just reading the mail, and seeing the formal and informal Spanish used.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4