Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hound Dog

Jan 29, 2010, 8:45 PM

Post #26 of 35 (8509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Texas does not have a state income tax. It also has some very nice beaches for the lady who calls herself Ibeachlover.

This shows how easily it is to be mislead. Texas has no income tax but the state has a terribly burdensome property tax, Dawg grew up on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and Northwest Florida around Gulf Shores, Fort Walton Beach and Destin and can assure anyone reading this thread that, in comparison, the Texas Gulf Coast is a mudhole, an unattractive and turbid, brown Atlantic bay. In fact, the gulf is unattrative all the way from the western shore of Mobile Bay to around Progreso, Yucatan and then it becomes pleasant again. As the gulf meets the Caribbean Sea near Isla Holbox, Quintana Roo, one is re-introduced to south sea charms. That´s just the way it is.

As much as Dawg admires Rolly, I will tell you that he is way off base here or so it seems to me.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 29, 2010, 8:47 PM)

Gringal

Jan 30, 2010, 7:06 AM

Post #27 of 35 (8468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

Dawg, after reading this thread, I have to go along with Rolly's thoughts on this.

Here's why: This lady is in poor shape physically, considering the rather awesome list of meds she needs to take. When Vicodin is part of your life....you're in some serious grief. No, she doesn't need to be in a cold, miserable climate but a warm one near a beach may not make a radical difference, either. As Rolly pointed out, there are many places much warmer and more pleasant right in the U.S. and maybe she needs to think about that instead of the far end of Mexico around Puerto Escondido. Not necessarily Texas, which is not my favorite place, either.

There are many ways to accomplish what she wants and needs. Or maybe just needs. You know the song line.
I wish her the best of luck and wisdom in working this out.

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 30, 2010, 7:16 AM

Post #28 of 35 (8463 views)

Shortcut

This thread belongs in a Dear Abby column. There is really nothing anyone here can offer this person. It is a personal finance affair that really has little if anything to do with Mexico.

The poster is looking for someone to make a very personal decision for her.

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Jan 30, 2010, 7:17 AM)

robt65

Jan 30, 2010, 7:57 PM

Post #29 of 35 (8401 views)

Shortcut

Hi All,

I don't know where this OP lives in Mexico, but perhaps there is a chance to meet some one in a similar situation and car pool to the US. I know that I a going to have to go every three months to the VA Medical Center in San Antonio or to the VA clinic in Harlingen (SP?) and would not mind the company at all. The gas and a hotel room could be split and every one wins. I know there are a lot of American Vets down here in different cities and I am sure they also have the same problems of getting their meds also. This could be a fun trip not only for meds but maybe shopping in the USA Wal Mart or HEB for other things as well to bring back to Mexico. Sharing a dinner on the road and having another person to speak to really passes the time nicely. Just a thought.

Robert

VirtualRPh

Feb 14, 2010, 10:53 AM

Post #30 of 35 (8294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1beachlover] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

For everybody not aware of Medicaid, yes rx's are good for only a maximum of 6 months.
And if your Mexico Rx Bill would be $1000, then they would cost $4000 to $6000 cash in the
states.
I think, until you can get the Mexican National Insurance, it would be best to make the trip
back.
!2,000 to 13,000 pesos a month is a fortune.
Good Luck
Jon Boy

mazatlanlee

Feb 15, 2010, 10:01 PM

Post #31 of 35 (8214 views)

Shortcut

Beachlover, at first reading your request for information, my thought was... no way is Medicaid going to continue covering this person if they move to another country. I don't know that to be a fact, but it's certainly something you would want to know before making your decision final. Then, you listed the medications you are taking for your RA, and... it was like a nightmare all over again. My husband was on most of those during his last years, including Enbril & Vicodin. I can say with all certainty that you will be much better off if you can continue to see and be cared for by your doctor in the US, because --- IF Enbril is available when you need it, it will cost every bit of what your friend was told, and getting Vicodin will be a real trial if you need it on an ongoing basis, which seems to be the case. As others have stated, you'll need to have a MX doctor write a script for at least the Vicodin, but then, I would also recommend that you promptly develop a good doctor-patient relationship so that you have someone who knows your medical condition and can care for you as needed.

As for bringing medications into the country, we didn't find that to be a problem. We were traveling by land in those years, and would come with a full year's supply of ALL of my husband's medications, including Enbril & Vicodin and Cortisone, etc, etc. (Our insurance allowed us to get 3 refills on a 90 day supply, at that time) Before sending the RX scripts to be filled, I always made copies of each original, and we carried those copies plus the MSDS sheets that came with the meds along with us whenever we had any of his medications in transit. A year's supply of Enbril always raised a red flag, so we were prepared to show our documents and my husband's ID. With that, we never had a problem. At one point, I had to go back to the states to pick up a six-month supply (insurance had changed policy) by air, and just carried the paperwork plus all of my ID and a copy of our marriage license.... just in case I was questioned. That time, going through the Aduana check when I arrived home (Mazatlan), the Aduanero just said, "Much medicines, lady. Get better!" He didn't even check the names on the bottles/boxes, as had always been done in past years. So, perhaps this will work for you, but I agree with others: you have some real homework and soul-searching to do before moving out of your own country and comfort zone (not weather wise, I know!!) and into a land where so much is different. First things first... you should think about clarifying the Medicaid issue if you make this move.

Good luck, Beachlover!
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

1beachlover

Feb 16, 2010, 7:06 AM

Post #32 of 35 (8191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatlanlee] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

Thank you everyone for your input! We will still be in the states some of the year and Mexico most of the time. So We will still continue to be US citizens. As far as Medicade goes, I found out that they only prescirbe one month's medications at a time ( so there goes bringing months quantities... ) I will just have the meds shipped monthly from the USA. We really want to try out living in Mex ! My husband works online, so if it doesn't work out... we can always come back! What is life if you don't take chances!!! I know for sure that the wonderful weather really helps me a lot with my terrible condition :)

VirtualRPh

Feb 16, 2010, 7:27 AM

Post #33 of 35 (8187 views)

Shortcut

Congratulations. Sounds like you've used a forum for just what it is supposed to be, that
of a source of information.
Good Luck.
Jon Boy

mazatlanlee

Feb 16, 2010, 9:20 AM

Post #34 of 35 (8160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VirtualRPh] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

Beachlover, I recommend that you don't even THINK of having your medications shipped into Mexico. You will almost certainly loose the meds, and you could be charged with drug smuggling.... read this discussion:

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=134838;search_string=sterile%20syringe%20;t=search_engine#134838

Your plan is beginning to look extremely difficult to accomplish. For us, it was easy as long as we had insurance that allowed us to get all of my husband's meds for the year at one time, but when they changed their policy, and I had to fly NOB to pick them up, it got pretty expensive. He wasn't able to travel at all by then, and any changes in his meds on this end meant that we still had to buy from local farmacias. At one point, for ten days, it was costing $250 (in US equivalent) PER DAY for his meds here, when he needed antibiotics by IV. Have you considered getting a good Rheumatologist in Mexico to take over your care? It might be that you could be put on medications that would work as well, or better than, what you're currently on, and save some money. Just as in things like food and drinks, not all medications sold in the US are sold in exactly the same strength here, if they're sold at all. But, there are alternatives for nearly every medication, and a good doctor would be able to help you get regulated on new meds if yours aren't available. Unfortunately, the cost would all be yours to shoulder. Your plan is starting to look more complicated, not less.

Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

jerezano

Feb 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

Post #35 of 35 (8139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatlanlee] Going bk to USA to get my meds?

Hello,

Medicaid and Medicare are different national programs. Medicaid uses federal funds which are transferred to the different states to manage and apportion.

It is my understanding that moving out of state will cancel your Medicaid benefits and that they need to be reinstated in the new state to which
you have moved. If this understanding is correct, you must maintain a physical presence in the state from which you are recieiving the aid.

Perhaps I am wrong, but CHECK before you leap.

Of course, there may be ways of hiding your move. I know a family with foster care children who lived here in Mexico for several years even though that
foster care program was state administered and with strict rules that the foster children could NOT be moved out of state.

Still, you better check on Medicaid before you burn your bridges.

jerezano.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4