Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Cat Man

May 16, 2002, 9:03 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6408 views)

Shortcut

FM-2 and Automobile Legality

Can't Post |
I am now in the 5th year of my FM-3 and I have a U.S. plated car here in Mexico.I am considering applying fo my FM-2 instead of starting the FM-3 process all over again. If I obtain my FM-2 will the car still be legal. Awaiting knowledgable replies...TIA

David Bodwell

May 16, 2002, 9:47 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6408 views)

Shortcut

FM-2 and Automobile Legality

Can't Post |
My understanding is that the biggest drawback to an FM-2 is that you CAN'T have a US plated car.<p>: I am now in the 5th year of my FM-3 and I have a U.S. plated car here in Mexico.I am considering applying fo my FM-2 instead of starting the FM-3 process all over again. If I obtain my FM-2 will the car still be legal. Awaiting knowledgable replies...TIA<p>

Ernie Gorrie

May 16, 2002, 3:10 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6410 views)

Shortcut

FM-2 and Restrictions

Can't Post |
My understanding is that another potentially important restriction of an FM2 is that the holder is not permitted to be outside of Mexico for more than (90?) days in a year.<p>This makes some sense given that the intent of an FM2 is for "immigrant residents". But some immigrant residents may find the 90 days pretty limiting, especially if they have work and/or personal obligations that are international in nature. (For example, an FM2 holder whose parents become ill in their home country and the FM2 holder returns home to care for the ill parent for several months.)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4