Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gpkgto

Jan 26, 2010, 10:44 AM

Post #26 of 40 (3359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bammazmx] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
Are you a native Mexican or native "American"? I don't think Mexicans would never worry so much about their government. Mexico has no problem with dual citizenship--there are probably hundreds of thousands of us--so relax and use both passports.

arbon

Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #27 of 40 (3357 views)

Shortcut

|
At every seaport, airport, and land crossing there is a "NO-MANS LAND". (an EXIT and an ENTRY)

The clue in Mexico is that the plane can land, the passengers can leave the plane to go though customs and then enter Mexico, or be refused entry and put back on the plane.

The same happens when you leave Mexico, the USA, and Canada, you have to get through no-mans land.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bammazmx

Jan 26, 2010, 12:17 PM

Post #28 of 40 (3339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply

Mexico has no problem with dual citizenship--there are probably hundreds of thousands of us--so relax and use both passports.

I have now talked to 3 Airlines.... all of them agree that you cannot and they will not allow the use your US passport first, then use your mexican passport as the equivilent of you permision to be in Mexico (fm-t, fm-3 fm-2 etc)

I take my citizenship in Mexico seriously and am not going to claim myself as an american on Mexican soil especialy if it is going to leave a papertrail, as it would by exiting mexico using another passport.

bammazmx

Jan 26, 2010, 12:36 PM

Post #29 of 40 (3333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply

At every seaport, airport, and land crossing there is a "NO-MANS LAND". (an EXIT and an ENTRY)

The clue in Mexico is that the plane can land, the passengers can leave the plane to go though customs and then enter Mexico, or be refused entry and put back on the plane.

The same happens when you leave Mexico, the USA, and Canada, you have to get through no-mans land.

I have no problem with the no-mans land, I am willing to put one passport into my pocket and pull out the other, but when you are handing your tickets to the airline agent at the airport you are not in NO-MANS LAND yet.

Zorba

Jan 27, 2010, 12:45 AM

Post #30 of 40 (3282 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Interesting conversation. Seems a bit overblown though and some unnecessary concern. Never can be sure though, so good that you looked into it.

Seems perfectly logical to me that you would hand in your Mexican passport to leave Mexico and then show your US passport to show you can enter Canada legally. In this case, I see your U.S. passport not so much as a passport representing yourself as an American in Mexico, but rather, simply as a legal document that allows you to enter Canada. It doesnt mean you are not representing yourself as a Mexican in Mexico.

I didnt know that I couldnt travel as a Canadian around the world when I have Mexican citizenship. I find that hard to believe. I plan to ask my lawyer about that. If it's true, I am surprised and find it overly nationalistic frankly.

Im sure it is not adhered to in practice, nevertheless. They can kiss my ass if they think I will travel around the world on a Mexican passport all the time as opposed to a Canadian passport which generally will provide me more privledges, less hassles and less cost. Then again, there are probably instances where the Mexican passport would be an advantage. In that case, I will use my Mexican passport. That's what dual citizenship should be all about after all! It should give me more options not less !

What if I were in Haiti during the earthquake and went to the Canadian embassy to have me airlifted out to Canada on my Canadian passport???? Would Mexico take away my Mexican passport ???? Idiots.

(This post was edited by Zorba on Jan 27, 2010, 12:46 AM)

bammazmx

Jan 27, 2010, 7:20 AM

Post #31 of 40 (3260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
I agree that it is getting overblown, and this will probally be my last post on the subject unless I find a definate "documented" answer.

But just let me say... as you said

Seems perfectly logical to me that you would hand in your Mexican passport to leave Mexico and then show your US passport to show you can enter Canada legally. In this case, I see your U.S. passport not so much as a passport representing yourself as an American in Mexico, but rather, simply as a legal document that allows you to enter Canada

This makes perfect sence to me also, and was exactly what I was trying to say in my original post.

Or in your case.... If you as a Mex/Can citizen decide to travel by plane to the US ....Can you simply show your Mexican Passport to travel then when asked for your "permision to travel to the US" simply show your canadian passport as proof that YES you will be able to enter the US.

I also have no concerns about using either or both passports once outside of mexico... the issue is simply at the ticketcounter of the airport.

I would love to here what your lawyer has to say.... but remember even if he says yes that correct (Mexican passport then other passport to prove entry requirement) The problem that I have found by calling the airlines is that THEY DONT SEEM TO KNOW!!!!!!

How would you like to plan a vacation, maybe take time off of work (if that exists) put the dog in the kennal etc. etc. go to the airport.... then end up watching your plane leave as the airline personal try to find out if your documentation is ok?

Just as a side note.... after I realized my possible canada issue... I did some searching (not a lot) into where else in the world I would have this possible problem. Although I could not find a website that simply lists what countrys Mexicans are required to have VISAs to travel to, (If anybody can find one please post) I did find by searching specific areas that in fact Mexicans can travel to all European Union countrys.... england, germany Italy etc. for up to 90 dys without a VISA Also many if not all Asian countrys. In fact I did not find any country that had restrictions on Mexican travel. Seems it is basically just the US and Canada probally simply due to the close proximity.

saludos

esperanza

Jan 27, 2010, 7:59 AM

Post #32 of 40 (3251 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It has nothing to do with 'the close proximity'. It has to do with political machinations.

Up until about a year ago, Mexicans did not need a visa to visit Canada. They could go freely and stay for as long as six months. Canadians did not need a visa to visit Mexico for up to 180 days, just the standard tourist card--which is not a visa.

Canada suddenly changed its mind and decided that Mexicans would be required to acquire a visa to enter their country. Mexico retaliated by changing its rules as well--Canadians are now required to have a visa to enter Mexico.

IMHO, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Those of us who hold dual USA/Mexican citizenship show our Mexican passports AS IDENTIFICATION at the airline ticket counter. When asked for permission to enter the USA, we simply show our American passports at the ticket counter in Mexico. Your American passport is all you need to enter Canada.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tonyburton

Jan 27, 2010, 8:48 AM

Post #33 of 40 (3239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
"Canadians are now required to have a visa to enter Mexico."
As of last week, this is NOT the case - Canadians can enter Mexico on a tourist card, exactly as before.
If I remember correctly, the requirement for Canadians to have a visa to enter Mexico which was announced last year applies only to diplomats. Mexico has no intention of making it difficult for tourists to enter the country. Tony

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jan 27, 2010, 8:50 AM)

arbon

Jan 27, 2010, 9:14 AM

Post #34 of 40 (3231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

|
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/visas.aspx#Entering

As of March 1st 2010 Canadians will need a passport. (only 1% of Canadian tourists don't have a passport)

Mexicans need a visa to enter Canada to show that they are unlikely to apply to become "Refugees".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rockydog85251

Jan 27, 2010, 4:36 PM

Post #35 of 40 (3209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
The last time we flew out of Mexico, I proudly presented my Mexican passport but the people at the ticket counter told me that if they accepted that for travel out of the country, I would also to show my visa allowing me entry to the US! I said to them that I could show them my US passport which would allow me entry into the US but they would not accept it.
It might have something to do with the lists they must provide to Homeland Security....which list names, passport numbers and any required visa numbers. So if to leave Mexico and that passport number is recorded, there would be no visa number available to record. Quite frankly I don't think the US Consulate in Hermosillo would be willing to give an expat a visa but I could be wrong (again).
Willie

gpkgto

Jan 28, 2010, 10:46 AM

Post #36 of 40 (3150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
Finally someone with actual experience--I haven't left Mexico since I got my citizenship, so your situation is useful for all of us. I just can't understand why a US passport wouldn't prove permission to enter the US.

arbon

Jan 28, 2010, 11:21 AM

Post #37 of 40 (3139 views)

Shortcut

|
Willie was not allowed to enter "No-Mans Land" at the Mexican airport. (Maybe there is not one there)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bammazmx

Jan 28, 2010, 11:31 AM

Post #38 of 40 (3135 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ok I guess I am going to make another post.

I guess it was not clear in my past posts.... but I have went on vacation to Las Vegas since gaining my citizenship in Mexico. Handed my Mexican passport first at the ticketcounter... asked for my visa.... showed US passport.... No problem!!!!

Rockydog simply had the bad luck to to have people that did not know what they were doing.

I know several other people personally that have not had a problem doing it this way.

However, I still insist that trying to travel to canada, with a Mexican and US passport, adds a slightly different twist to the situation. It is a relatively new situation, and even if it is allowable, I am not sure all airline personal, in the many airports of Mexico know what to do in this in this case.

esperanza

Jan 28, 2010, 11:32 AM

Post #39 of 40 (3134 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Finally someone with actual experience--I haven't left Mexico since I got my citizenship, so your situation is useful for all of us. I just can't understand why a US passport wouldn't prove permission to enter the US.

I have posted my actual experience twice before in this same thread...but apparently twice isn't enough. When I have flown out of Mexico to the USA (several times from Guadalajara and once from Morelia), I have presented my Mexican passport at the airline check-in counter. When the airline personnel asked me for ' sus documentos para entrar allá, señora', I simply handed over my US passport. No further questions were asked; both passports were handed back to me without further ado.

Obviously YMMV, as with everything in Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tonyburton

Jan 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Post #40 of 40 (3130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] US/MEX Citizens traveling to canada

| Private Reply
I agree - YMMV.
If in doubt about the wisdom of using two passports, then get the visa in the relevant passport - simple.
I'm now locking this thread since it's meandered far enough. Feel free to start another if you're not fully satisfied.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4