Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Hound Dog

Jan 21, 2010, 8:36 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5080 views)

Shortcut

Minatlitlán to San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Can't Post | Private Reply
A fabulous drive from the beautiful bridge over the marshlands west of Minatitlán, Veracruz to the autopista to Tuxtla Gutierrez and then up the escarpment to San Cristóibal. A drive through a fairyland of extraordinary wetlands reminiscent of Gulf Coaatal Alabama and Louisiana and then up through the most incredible green mountains to the city of Tuxtla Gutierrez and what a drive that is. I would say, from the bridge near Minatitlán to Tuxtla, about three hours or less and during that drive one passes extraordinary mountain passages impossibly green and ruggedly beautiful and I never tire of this magnificent scenic drive which you must see to believe.

This will be a series. More later.

Hound Dog

Jan 21, 2010, 9:16 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Minatlitlán to San Cristóbal de Las Casas

There is a general misunderstanding about what I would call "Southern Mexico". Once one reaches the cutoff from the Villahermosa highway to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas in Southeastern Mexico, one is still about 1,000 kilometers from Cancun to the north and east. We will talk about the wonderful Yucatan Peninsula later but for now we are talking about Chiapas.

For the must part, the autopista from south of Minatitlán to Tuxtla Gutierrez traverses Veracruz State with a small incursion into Tabasco State before the autopista enters Chiapas near Tuxtla Gutiierrez. The roadway is dismal and in disrepair over much of the drive but the scenery is so magnificent it hardly matters. I have rarely seen more beautiful green mountains and the drive is indesecribably gorgeous.

Tomorrow I will describe to you the drive into and through the stunningly beautiful valley that is Tuxtla Gutierrez - a boomtown city of maybe one million people. For now, let me say that the magnificent city sits in a grand valley traversed by libramientos on both the north and south and the drive through the city on either route is breathtaking.

More later.

roni_smith

Jan 24, 2010, 3:07 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4992 views)

Shortcut

I would like to read more....
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Hound Dog

Jan 24, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Minatlitlán to San Cristóbal de Las Casas

I would like to read more....

Thank you Roni.

I have been otherwise indisposed but will get back to this message in the next few days with some travel and dining tips. Just let me say for now that, in my opinion, if one wants great food in this part of Chiapas (metropolitan Tuxtla Gutierrez and the Chiapas Highlands just about anywhere) one must go for regional Chiapanecan cuisine with some possible bows to Argentinian food and that sort of thing but if one sticks to local food it can be very good indeed. Personally, I think the food in Tuxtla Gutierrez is superior to the food around San Cristóbal generally speaking but please disagree if you can enlighten me.

More in a few days regarding travel and dining around here..

roni_smith

Jan 24, 2010, 6:53 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4965 views)

Shortcut

I could not possibly disagree with you, as the closest I have eaten to Chiapas (in distance) is the Yucatan. We do plan to visit there, possibly on a regular basis, after we make our planned move in 2011.

I read on another forum, quite some time ago, a post by a expat Meridano who escaped to San Cristóbal for a month during the heat, and he raved about the variety of fresh verduras at the mercado there. It seemed to exceed the variety in Mérida by a margin sufficient to excite the author of that post.

Thanks
------

fishfrier

Jan 25, 2010, 5:53 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Minatlitlán to San Cristóbal de Las Casas

That post that Ron mentioned came from my wife, Yucatan Dreamer. I agree with everything that she wrote. I am routinely disappointed with the lack of variety of vegetables and fruit at Merida's main mercado. Booth after booth of people all selling the same thing. The much smaller mercado in Santigo generally has a greater variety of produce than that in the main mercado. It's only my opinion but I think the majority of people that shop at the main mercado are from the outlying towns and villages and they are very set in their ways in what they prepare. Limited menu options hence limited produce needed. This is not a group of people that is very creative when it comes to meal preparation. There are certain meals that one eats on certain days and heaven forbid anyone venturing outside that box. The mercado in Santiago caters to Meridanos that also regularly shop in the grocery stores and so they need to compete with those same grocery stores that have a much broader selection. Heck, on occasion, I've seen mushrooms and green beans in Santiago but never in the main mercado.

One other difference to the mercado in San Cristobal to the one in Merida is San Cristobal's mercado has a farmers' market section. Merida's does not. If it ain't a habinero chili then it's got to be trucked in. Very few vegetables are locally grown so most everything else is trucked in. We do a little better in the fruit department. Over the time I have noticed that vegetables are generally of better quality and cheaper in the grocery stores while fruit is a little cheaper in the mercados.

(This post was edited by fishfrier on Jan 25, 2010, 6:44 AM)

roni_smith

Jan 29, 2010, 7:44 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fishfrier] Minatlitlán to San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Good to hear from you fishfrier

I remember you from meridainsider days.
------

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4