Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

california99

Jan 23, 2010, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 18 (17156 views)

Shortcut

traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am traveling to Paracho Michoacan. I was told to fly to Guadalaja and then use a bus to get to Paracho. Is there a better way to go? Can I go to Morelia and then take a bus to Paracho. I am looking for best travel route possible as well as any fun information. For example: Where to eat, what places to visit, Is semana Santa next week?, a good place to stay, most beautiful outdoor place and anything you might find valuable. Thanks for your help.

Anonimo

Jan 24, 2010, 2:35 AM

Post #2 of 18 (17078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [california99] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

I have never been to Paracho, although we came close in a drive on la Meseta Purhépecha.
I Googled "Paracho Michoacán" out of curiosity, and among other "hits", found a 1998 article http://www.mexicofile.com/parachoguitars.htm
that suggests flying to Guadalajara, taking a bus to Zamora, then another to Paracho.

Uruapan isn't very far and there are some good places there to stay.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Peter

Jan 24, 2010, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 18 (17064 views)

Shortcut

Going to Paracho by way of Guadalajara seems a bit roundabout but the article written in the 90´s that recommends it may have been speaking of a time before Morelia´s airport had as extensive volume of flights as now. Guadalajara may be better if flying in from someplace that does not have direct flights into Morelia though. If you have to get a connecting flight Morelia is better, Uruapan is even closer.

For a little sightseeing around Michoacán then fly into Morelia and spend a little time there, and then on to Pátzcuaro and visit the villages around the lake. Bus service for those areas is easy to obtain. By way of larger buses you might have to go into Uruapan before a departure to Paracho. Uruapan is the state´s second largest city and is a pleasant stay. In Uruapan visit the national park with its cascades and waterfalls, the entrance is very convenient to town and you can walk through most of it in a couple hours.

Not sure of bus schedules but local buses cover all areas on very frequent schedules. My route out of Morelia to Paracho is to go on just past Pátzcuaro and take the turnoff through Pichataro (a wood furniture making village worth checking out), Nahuatzén, then at Cheran make a left an you are just a few short kilometers to Paracho, a much shorter drive than the more often suggested way through Uruapan. This route surely should be covered by local buses but you will need to ask around for details.

There is much to do and see in Morelia and Pátzcuaro, too much to list in this post, and I would recommend doing that as opposed to starting out in Guad. If going to Paracho is your only objective and Guadalajara flights are more convenient you may still select that route as preferrable though.

I think Semana Santa this year is at the end of March, not sure exactly when, the week leading up to Easter.

When you have a better idea of how you want to travel we can make more suggestions of where to visit and stay.

La Isla

Jan 24, 2010, 7:07 AM

Post #4 of 18 (17064 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Is semana Santa next week?

Not unless Easter has been moved back a couple of months this year!

esperanza

Jan 24, 2010, 9:57 AM

Post #5 of 18 (17046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

In Reply To

In Reply To
Is semana Santa next week?

Not unless Easter has been moved back a couple of months this year!

Palm Sunday, the beginning of Semana Santa, is March 28. Easter Sunday is April 4.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Jan 24, 2010, 10:29 AM

Post #6 of 18 (17034 views)

Shortcut

Not sure what your exact motivation is for going to Paracho, not that we have any personal negatives from visiting there, but one should be into stringed instruments to spend much time there. Here is a link to some info provided by Michoacan Tourism:
http://www.michoacan-travel.com/...upn_info_paracho.htm

As far as accommodations go, the few that we saw but did not go into, appeared to be quite basic and we did not spot many restaurants. We did chose one and had a respectable lunch.

As was suggested by others, there is a great deal to see in Michoacan and time spent exploring should provide some wonderful experiences.

No idea on the bus issue since we prefer to drive since we enjoy the flexibility our vehicle provides.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 24, 2010, 10:58 AM)

jerezano

Jan 25, 2010, 7:09 AM

Post #7 of 18 (16984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

Hello,

Can't really see a visit to Paracho unless you want to buy a guitar or other stringed instrument. Fabulous shops. Excellent guitars.

Paracho is famous for its annual Guitar Festival. We went once about ten years ago.Well worth while going again. Found three hotels downtown, no vacancies, and as someone has mentioned "basic" at reasonable prices.

We had just about decided to return to Uruapan and overnight there driving to the Festival the next morning. Short, easily driven route over well-maintained highway.

But as we were leaving town we noticed a motel on the left. Really basic! Iron door, room and bath only, cheap, but as my friend's wife noted CLEAN and quiet. We stayed, and very happily because we found that one of the guitar groups to play in the Festival had also booked rooms there. They spent the rest of the day and the early morning practicing their recital in the patio. What a joy. And at the Festival their recital was a high spot.

As I have already said, there appears to be no other reason to go to Paracho.

On the other hand, Uruapan is good for two or three days at least. Handicrafts at much cheaper prices and better quality than in Patzcuaro. Better and more varied selections. Water park. A waterfall outside the city. Excellent hotels. Excellent restaurants. Buy coffee.

Enjoy your visit. Hasta luego. jerezano.

Peter

Jan 25, 2010, 7:28 AM

Post #8 of 18 (16982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

Handicrafts at much cheaper prices and better quality than in Patzcuaro.

_____

I find that a lot. The best prices can be found in the smaller villages, though they sometimes inflate them for gringos, or in Quiroga. Usually the asking price in Quiroga is very low-priced and I don´t bother to barter. You can usually get the Quiroga price in Pátzcuaro if you know what to pay and make that offer. Pátzcuaro is a tad touristy.

I have gotten some great guitar deals in Quiroga but what is stocked outside of Paracho is usually the lower-end merchandise. Paracho has some real beauties and well-crafted pieces but be prepared to pay a good price for them. My taste in guitars is something inexpensive and very playable. My experience with Paracho guitars is that all of them have very good to excellent sound quality. But for the same quality guitar they have quoted better prices in Quiroga. My last purchase was over a year ago for a steel-stringed, single cutaway, blue sunburst western style. Very playable with great sound and they quoted me $450 pesos that included a vinyl carry bag. At the exchange rate at that time that was just over $30 US. Great guitar for weekend outings and I use it at home very often as well.

lamur

Jan 25, 2010, 9:11 AM

Post #9 of 18 (16966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

I'm with you! We went to a guy who made the expensive ones... but the expense revolved around how beautiful they were. And they were! Expensive woods lovingly and expertly hand crafted. My highest priority is how easy they play and how good they sound. If they're pretty...that's nice...but not my first concern.
L

california99

Jan 25, 2010, 9:13 AM

Post #10 of 18 (16966 views)

Shortcut

Simple reason for traveling. Sick older relative who retired there a few years ago. I am not sure where to stay or how to travel. Wish me luck.

Thank you all for your replies.

La Isla

Jan 25, 2010, 11:30 AM

Post #11 of 18 (16943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

Jerezano, do you remember what time of the year the Paracho Guitar Festival takes place?

esperanza

Jan 25, 2010, 11:39 AM

Post #12 of 18 (16938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

La Fería Nacional de la Guitarra in Paracho is always in August.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jan 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

Post #13 of 18 (16934 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

Thanks, esperanza. That gives me time to make plans to attend.

chinagringo

Jan 25, 2010, 12:30 PM

Post #14 of 18 (16926 views)

Shortcut

california99:

Sorry to hear that this isn't a pleasure trip for you!

We did see a newer hotel on the right side of the road going past the big metal guitars at the entrance to Paracho and heading into the "centro" area. It appeared to be five stories with three completed and apparently in use.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Jan 25, 2010, 12:34 PM)

chinagringo

Feb 15, 2010, 6:34 PM

Post #15 of 18 (16751 views)

Shortcut

So did you make the trip and how did it go?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Zarcero

Feb 16, 2010, 7:03 AM

Post #16 of 18 (16722 views)

Shortcut

I'm a guitar player. Flamenco/Classical. Here's a short sample ==>http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8647206

Paracho is the guitar-building capital of Mexico. You can find cheapie guitars there, ornate or not. However, if you want a high quality guitar, you need to seek out Francisco Navarro. His guitars are world renown. Out of the many luthiers in Paracho, I think there are only four that are considered world class.

cookj5

Mar 7, 2010, 12:01 PM

Post #17 of 18 (16471 views)

Shortcut

My wife and I visited Paracho on the way to Uruapan last year. Very cute town! Here is the link to our photojournal with info about all the stuff in the area we did and saw: http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/search/label/Uruapan?updated-max=2009-03-22T14%3A56%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20
I don't know how to activate these links, so you'll need to copy the url in to your address line. Sorry.

The sectIon on Paracho is contained in Part 1. You'll need to scroll down to the bottom and click on "older posts." Tons of stuff to do in Uruapan itself, including the spectacular waterfalls of Barranca del Cupatitzio, the only National Park in Mexico within city limits. Also great museums and folk art collections. Outside, between Paracho and Uruapan is the Paracutin Volcano and the partially lava-buried town below it.

Have fun and Ħbuena suerte!

ebwilderae

Mar 22, 2010, 5:47 PM

Post #18 of 18 (16277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] traveling to Paracho, Mich. for the first time

The guitar festival last August was great. Be aware it is also a fine community celebration so there are lots
of athletic events going on that might be of more interest to locals than the guitar music. There will be events
in the small plaza but be sure to hit the guitar museum both for a nice look and to hear when the competitions
occur fine young maestros playing their hearts out! Last year it was on a Wednesday, be sure and get to the
museo early to ask them when it will be. If you have a dvd recorder and a tripod you will be very well rewarded.
The small hotel is very open, stayed there last year, it is clean and like what do you want? The 'restaurant' below
was rather lacking unfortunately. The place coming into town on the left hand side just past the large guitar (this
assumes coming in from Uruapan, rather than the shorter non-cuota route from the east) is just great. The mercado
serves great chicken and pork dishes, carnitas, etc plus wonderful fruit smoothies for very little money. It is about
two blocks past the hotel going to the plaza. The town at about 7000' altitude has a nice climate and is a good
place to wander about - if guitars and small towns interest you. Thursday is market day so lots of colorful ladies
from the villages selling their goods that day. If you are going there I would suggest taking some time to go south
toward Uruapan 15 miles or so and in to the volcano Paricutin which arose in 1943 more or less and let the young
men take you by horseback to the ancient church embedded in the vast lava flow of that period. It is one of their
few cottage industries and you will likely encounter youngsters who are the first in their family to learn Spanish. Buen
provecho!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4