Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hound Dog

Oct 26, 2009, 4:03 PM

Post #1 of 31 (9283 views)

Shortcut

Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
The transit police at Lakeside are disgusting thieves preying on all drivers but concentrating on the foreign community - especially that crooked little cowardly motorcycle cop who cruises the carretera looking to punish anyone not a cousin and issuing multas for non-offenses. I tell you that I live in two separate and distinct communities. Here at Lakeside and in the true Mexican community of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas and the cops in San Cristóbal would never brazenly rip off local drivers the way these slimeballs do drivers here at Lakeside. If they even tried, locals would have their badges. It is time to clean house. The corrupt local transit cops at Lakeside need to become unemployed. Especially that crooked little motorcycle creep.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 26, 2009, 4:07 PM)

Camille

Oct 26, 2009, 4:34 PM

Post #2 of 31 (9253 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
We just recently had a few months of really excessive Gringo Bingo on the highway heading north out of Vallarta. These boys were pulling over every foreign plate they saw.... Seems to have lightened up considerably now, though.

Hound Dog

Oct 26, 2009, 4:51 PM

Post #3 of 31 (9246 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
I understand, Camille but what Dawg is talking about here is the slimeballs working the carretera from the Llibramiento through Ajijic. Especially that slimy motorcycle cop punk. These thieves have that La Floresta carretera left turn infraction set up for their sleazy lunch money fund. What a disgrace for the Chapala Municipality killing the golden goose that laid the egg so they could skim the cream off the top. This is disgusting. They don´t scare me. I live in Chiapas and they can kiss my butt.

Hound Dog

Oct 26, 2009, 5:58 PM

Post #4 of 31 (9215 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You who have spent too much time at Lakeside may not realize this but this feeding off of the foreigners by these parasitical Lake Chapala traffic cop thieves is a Lakeside phenomenon. I tell you that the people in San Cristóbal and its environs would rise up in righteous anger and smite these slimeball crooks but here at Lakeside we roll over and let buntbrains like that chickenshit motorcycle cop take us to the cleaners over and over again and for that we deserve our fate which is to wallow in our own disgraceful shitmound,

Laugh this disgrace off at your own peril. I, for one, am made sick by this.

don pedro

Oct 26, 2009, 6:08 PM

Post #5 of 31 (9211 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I understand, Camille but what Dawg is talking about here is the slimeballs working the carretera from the Llibramiento through Ajijic. Especially that slimy motorcycle cop punk. These thieves have that La Floresta carretera left turn infraction set up for their sleazy lunch money fund. What a disgrace for the Chapala Municipality killing the golden goose that laid the egg so they could skim the cream off the top. This is disgusting. They don´t scare me. I live in Chiapas and they can kiss my butt.

http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

sanjuan

Oct 27, 2009, 9:19 AM

Post #6 of 31 (9123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
I lived in the Puerto Vallarta area for 13 years and now live at Lake Chapala. I don't think it is any worse at Chapala than at PV. It may even be worse at PV. The important thing is never to pay the mordida.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 11:53 AM

Post #7 of 31 (9084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
I lived in the Puerto Vallarta area for 13 years and now live at Lake Chapala. I don't think it is any worse at Chapala than at PV. It may even be worse at PV. The important thing is never to pay the mordida.

Interesting, sanjuan:

We were harassed a bit by the cops in Guadalajara and in Ajijic when we first moved here in 2001 and had California plates although we have seldom been hassled since we started driving a Mexican plated car and since my wife mastered Spanish pretty well. We haven´t paid mordida since about 2003 or before but the motorcycle cop I am speaking of is a special case. Our Mexican friends tell us that he harasses them as well and his reputation in the Mexican community at Lakeside is that he simply is obsessed with issuing multas. In fact, the day he stopped me in front of the Farmacia Guadalajara (he loves that spot) claiming I had run a red light, he never even asked for mordida but immediately started writng me a ticket.

COP: You ran that red light.
DAWG: No I did not even though it turned to yellow as I was well into the intersection and you were not even looking in my
direction at the time but chatting with a motorist coming in the opposite direction with your back turned to me.
COP: I say you ran the light.
DAWG (unwisely): You are lying.
SECOND COP APPROACHING ON FOOT: Aw, just paY him his mordida.
DAWG: He is lying.
COP: Well, if that´s your attitude I also noticed that you passed a car turning left at the light on the right. I´m going to give you a ticket for passing on the right as well.
DAWG: Just give me the GD ticket. (which he obligingly did - I do not recommend this sort of discourse with a cop)

Well, this multiple moving violation type of ticket in California would earn you a very large fine, points toward revocation of your license or traffic school and a substantial increased insurance premium. It cost me $270 Pesos in Chapala because I paid the fine the next day. The fine wasn´t worth fighting over.

Come to think of it when I put it that way, I prefer the system here to California´s rigorously honest system where there is no way you are going to bribe a highway patrolman. After all, the fine was insignificant and I incurred no points, at least to my knowledge, and my insurance company did not raise my rate.

I might add that I did not offer him mordida because I was offended by what I considered an injustice perpetrated by an arrogant cop when I had done nothing wrong at all. I can´t say that I am against the mordida system if I have actually committed a moving violation and it sure beats wasting a driving day going before a judge or into the police station. In fact, as Dawg was raised in the deep south of the U.S.in the 1950s, I´m used to not only crooked cops on the take but crooked judges and mayors and aldermen and gas station operators as well and, if memory serves me, an African American family driving through my hometown circa 1953 with Illinois plates either paid mordida at the inevitable local speed trap or had the life expectancy of a gnat. That was an important source of income in those days before the interstate highways. Mexico didn´t start this nor does it have a patent on this sort of fund raising.

I also like driving in a country where speed limits are unenforced and, unlike California, slower drivers never hog the left lane if they value their lives. I also like the fact that nobody ever seems to get a traffic ticket in Chiapas where there are few foreigners. The other great thing about driving in Oaxaca and Chiapas once you get used to it is that two lane autopistas with wide regulation shoulders automically are trasformed from two to temporarily four lane roads (with one lane a bit on the small side) as local driving customs down there obligate slower traffic to drive on that shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass and, let me tell you if you ever plan to drive down there, locals are not kidding about this custom. At first this is a frightening experience but after you get used to it you wonder why they don´t do that everywhere.

The more I think about it and that 3,000 kilometer RT drive between Chapala and Chiapas at breakneck speeds where everyone else is still passing you, the more I am pleased that I live in Mexico even with the occasional rogue cop about.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 1:15 PM)

don pedro

Oct 28, 2009, 6:38 AM

Post #8 of 31 (9000 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
fer some reason what i said dint post here bubinski. the muni don't have nuthin ta do wit them transitos which is state "traffic" cops whose headquarters here is in riberas. ya got a beef-talk to the jefe there.
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Manuel Dexterity

Oct 28, 2009, 6:45 AM

Post #9 of 31 (8996 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
fer some reason what i said dint post here bubinski. the muni don't have nuthin ta do wit them transitos which is state "traffic" cops whose headquarters here is in riberas. ya got a beef-talk to the jefe there.

pedrito, usually the presidente municipal does have authority with transito.

don pedro

Oct 28, 2009, 7:03 AM

Post #10 of 31 (8987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
not in chapala senor dexterosity. he talked about applying to the state a coupla years ago but nothing ever came of it.

Gringal

Oct 28, 2009, 9:21 AM

Post #11 of 31 (8964 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, Dawg, I know just who you're talking about. We can't nationalize our vehicle anymore, so we got rid of the dates on our California plates and we are careful to have the current smog sticker on the windshield...not because we need it, but to reduce the opportunity for stoppage.

That little twerp has followed us several times all the way from Riberas to where he HOPED we'd illegally turn into La Floresta. Hah! We waited till he was in front of us, peering back, and whipped left at a legal spot, at which time he couldn't continue the chase effectively. In any case, we know he will eventually nail us, and your sentiments are right on target.

I think the current ideas about refusing to pay mordida and just taking the ticket are the best way to end this practice.
Paying the ticket is cheap.

While you're waxing nostalgic about California.......our last CA ticket cost $250 plus traffic school, for not reaching a 100% FULL stop at a deserted intersection. I'll take the Mexican way.

Georgia

Nov 5, 2009, 4:17 PM

Post #12 of 31 (8752 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I hate to be the one to tell you this, or even mention it, because I am sure you know that you can not stop on a road that has a lateral to make a left hand turn in the state of Jalisco. You have to go into the lateral and cross ... because that's just the way it is. Now if you do this with foreign plates, you have turned yourself into an insta-target. Also, if you stop to make a left hand turn on the carretera and someone plows into the rear of your car, legally, it is your fault. It took my husband several years to accept this reality and he, blessedly, now conforms to the law.

That having been said, it is just loads of fun and good for a chuckle to carry the rules of the road of Jalisco with you and ask them to show you where in the law the infraction is listed. They are required to do so. Kinda fun. It's all available on line and makes them work for their money.

Zarcero

Nov 5, 2009, 4:41 PM

Post #13 of 31 (8747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
Georgia,

Let's have the link to these laws. I like your method. Thanks

Georgia

Nov 5, 2009, 5:27 PM

Post #14 of 31 (8740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
In this moment, I am not 100% sure of the link. However, if you speak spanish or read it, it's something like www.jalisco.gob. Under that site you can search for the link to vialidad.

BrentB

Nov 10, 2009, 5:20 PM

Post #15 of 31 (8589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
I lived and worked in Jalisco for about 10 years and never had trouble with transitos. The last few years though, I have lived in Chicago and work in the burbs (for at least 6 months of the year) I have to drive through 3 mostly Latino ( mostly Mexican) areas, and I really have to watch my speed , especially at night or I will get chronically pulled over. I see cars weaving and speeding and crossing the center line, especially on Fridays and Saturdays and rarely do they get stopped. They are Latinos. I think I am being targeted because I am a gringo, and in my "own" country.
When I get back to Jalisco or Guatemala, I don't have any trouble. Go figure?

brent

Intercasa

Jan 21, 2010, 4:43 PM

Post #16 of 31 (7782 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I just finished another revision of my Mexico Driving Guide and have inserted more info such as insurance claims for the free insurance you get while driving on toll roads. You can download it at: http://intercasafs.com/Driving.pdf
Mexican licensed attorney (Cédula #7928026) and official court translator (Perito Traductor). Mx 376-765-7553

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 21, 2010, 6:19 PM)

mexliving

Jan 21, 2010, 10:53 PM

Post #17 of 31 (7729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Intercasa] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
mexico city/ back in 2006 i was on the street in mexico city..... 8 transit cops stood in front of my truck (i guess they saw the shiny car permit on windshield) my truck was 2 months old and my paper plate had expired....... they told me i was not wearing a seat belt.. i was not... asked to pay fine.. offered 200 pesos.. but 200 divided by 8 does not count.. they took 3,000 pesos from me.. i was so pissed off.... i have never stopped in mexico city since.... i was still bothered by transit cops stopping people and making up infractions.... so as a smart ass!!!!! i went to my usa local dmv and got personalized plates SEC GOB my plate frame covered the state so it looked official... i went 3 years without ever getting pulled over.... and sometimes i would be on highways and federales would speed up to me... once they looked at my plates they would simply turn around.. check mate!!!!! it worked like a charm.... of cource the dmv asked what the initials meant.. i told them for the mexico transit cops so that they will not pull me over.. they gave me the plates.. so .. with the recent increase of crime/economy/etc.. i actually was afraid to drive at night with those plates... imagine someone pulling behind me and thinking i was an official..... so i finally got regular plates....... i got stopped last month by transit.... i made an illegal turn.........go figure..

can someone post a picture of the area in chapala where they give you the fine?

bottom line. if these employees would get better wages, then this would not happen.

Schap

Jan 22, 2010, 1:54 AM

Post #18 of 31 (7723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Intercasa] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I just finished another revision of my Mexico Driving Guide and have inserted more info such as insurance claims for the free insurance you get while driving on toll roads. You can download it at: http://intercasafs.com/Driving.pdf

Thank you, Intercasa, for posting your Mexico Driving Guide. I just finished printing it off to keep in my car for future reference. So far, I've escaped paying mordida and haven't been given a ticket either when stopped. Knowledge is power.

Peter

Jan 22, 2010, 6:27 AM

Post #19 of 31 (7706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
bottom line. if these employees would get better wages, then this would not happen.
_______

How much better? Enough to drive a shiny, new truck? Enough to put all the kids through university? Enough to live like the ex-pats all around them? Think again.

Gringal

Jan 22, 2010, 2:44 PM

Post #20 of 31 (7656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
Good point, Peter. If we would stop paying mordida, take the ticket instead and go pay the fine (which is way less), then maybe the system would shift into more honest.

But yes, they should pay the cops at least as much as a top bricklayer. (I don't know what they pay them now, to be truthful.)

arbon

Jan 22, 2010, 4:13 PM

Post #21 of 31 (7640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Disgusting Thieves

|
Do the top bricklayers get as much as the waiters yet?

(and an illegal turn will still be an illegal turn)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reefhound

Jan 23, 2010, 8:14 AM

Post #22 of 31 (7570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
(and an illegal turn will still be an illegal turn)

Of course, but I think the point was that maybe a legal turn might then be a legal turn.

arbon

Jan 23, 2010, 10:00 AM

Post #23 of 31 (7553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Disgusting Thieves

|
from Georgia.

"I hate to be the one to tell you this, or even mention it, because I am sure you know that you can not stop on a road that has a lateral to make a left hand turn in the state of Jalisco. You have to go into the lateral and cross ... because that's just the way it is. Now if you do this with foreign plates, you have turned yourself into an insta-target. Also, if you stop to make a left hand turn on the carretera and someone plows into the rear of your car, legally, it is your fault. It took my husband several years to accept this reality and he, blessedly, now conforms to the law.

That having been said, it is just loads of fun and good for a chuckle to carry the rules of the road of Jalisco with you and ask them to show you where in the law the infraction is listed. They are required to do so. Kinda fun. It's all available on line and makes them work for their money."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hound Dog

Jan 23, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #24 of 31 (7515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Disgusting Thieves

| Private Reply
if you stop to make a left hand turn on the carretera and someone plows into the rear of your car, legally, it is your fault.

I think you mean that if you stop to make a left hand turn when there is a lateral roadway and no designated left turn lane from the primary roadway, it might be construed to be your fault or at least partially your fault although in my nine years of driving down here I have noticed that rear-ending another car is something Mexican drivers try to avoid like the plague.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of driving in Southern Mexico, let me assure you that if you have a shoulder on a carretera that you can temporarily drive on to let a faster driver pass you, an illegal act in the U.S., you had best do so even if that shoulder is narrow with occasional pedestrians and the roadway is curving. It takes a while to get used to this but driving along a roadway with a Mac Truck an inch off your rear is instructive.

I should mention that in Oaxaca City there are only two rules. Step on it or get the hell out of the way.

esperanza

Jan 23, 2010, 4:37 PM

Post #25 of 31 (7509 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
...For those of you who have not had the pleasure of driving in Southern Mexico, let me assure you that if you have a shoulder on a carretera that you can temporarily drive on to let a faster driver pass you, an illegal act in the U.S., you had best do so even if that shoulder is narrow with occasional pedestrians and the roadway is curving. It takes a while to get used to this but driving along a roadway with a Mac Truck an inch off your rear is instructive...

This 'rule' also applies anywhere a highway has a broad shoulder on each side. I particularly think of the highway between Ocotlán, Jalisco, and the entrance to the Chapala/Guadalajara highway, but there are lots of similar roadways.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4