Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Tom in Indiana

Jan 21, 2010, 10:54 AM

Post #1 of 16 (13314 views)

Shortcut

My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestion's of where?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mazatlan seems like a paradise to me, but I was wondering if their are any other places that are close to the beach that they may be interested in. Keep in mind that they will be trying to get by on around $2,000 per month budget. My mother would like to have some of the same conveniences of home (Walmart etc..) and a decent hospital if possible.

(This post was edited by Tom in Indiana on Jan 21, 2010, 10:58 AM)

ms mac

Jan 21, 2010, 11:50 AM

Post #2 of 16 (13291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tom in Indiana] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

My husband and I spent time in Mazatlan and loved it. There are expats there but a little scattered. If you don't drive you can hail a pulmonia (they're everywhere.) to take you to Walmart. Sharp Hospital is excellent. I had to have hip replacement there and they did a great job. The best thing to do is check it out for awhile before coming to any conclusions.
ms mac

mazbook1

Jan 21, 2010, 4:40 PM

Post #3 of 16 (13268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tom in Indiana] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

I too would recommend Mazatlán, as it has all the big city conveniences…including Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. Excellent hospitals and all medical and dental services in all price brackets. Enough of an expat presence that there is both a library and a bookstore for English language readers. There is even a collectively-owned restaurant/bar/community center for the English speaking expat group, yet there is no one particular area in the city that could be called a "gringo ghetto" like exists in some of the highly popularized expat cities in México. Lots of pluses, few negatives and GREAT BEACHES!

HOWEVER, your folks should come down and rent (NO BURNT BRIDGES!!!) for at least 6 months before making up their mind. Maybe even do a little traveling around to check out the other popular Mexican options. I would highly recommend the 6 months February thru July so that they get a taste of ALL the various weather patterns. Also, they, particularly your mom, may find that México just isn't a fit for them. Even Wal-Mart rarely has any of the brands or things she would be accustomed to in the U.S. Living in México is VERY, VERY DIFFERENT from living in the U.S. The unhappiest people I have ever known were those who moved lock, stock and barrel to México, burning their bridges, THEN discovered they just couldn't tolerate the culture shock.

On the plus side, they should be able to modestly live in Mazatlán VERY comfortably on $2,000 USD monthly.

ms mac

Jan 21, 2010, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 16 (13256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

I agree about the Wal-Mart. If your parents don't speak Spanish it is difficult to converse with the workers. It seems only the managers for the most part speak English. I'm not a bakery goods person but my husband was disappointed that the goods were beautiful but didn't have the sweet richness of the American bakery goods. But if they like shrimp. oh my, they're in for a treat.
Have your parents ever been to Mexico? It's a whole other culture. You will either adjust or not, but do give yourself time to spend a few months before you decide. I preferred the Centro Historico to the Golden Zone, but that, too, is a matter of preference.
ms mac

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 21, 2010, 8:20 PM

Post #5 of 16 (13245 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

Wow, a thread about moving to Mexico has Walmart as a central part of its discussion! WTF! This seems to be a common theme in many posts on this subject.

If your criteria for choosing a place to live in Mexico revolves around Walmart and the box stores and whether you'll be happy with the quality of the baked goods stay the hell NOB.

Actually I find this whole wave of retiree immigrants disgusting. Their main concerns center on being able to acquire the same creature comforts they are accustomed to at home.

mazbook1

Jan 22, 2010, 3:05 AM

Post #6 of 16 (13226 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

I wouldn't have put it as strongly (or rudely) MD, but again I have to agree with you. The "makeup" or the recent—last 4 or 5 years or so—would be or actually are expats coming from NOB to México is Very, Very different than it was up until that time. I often have to just shake my head and forego my normal, helpful advice, since they are far, far from being ready to listen.

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 22, 2010, 8:23 AM

Post #7 of 16 (13201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

I also have to agree. There is a new breed of those running away from it all (mostly the economy). And they don't seem happy once settled, because they really aren't here to embrace the differences (and as we know, there are mostly differences!).

ms mac

Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 AM

Post #8 of 16 (13180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

I agree with most of what you say. However, it is difficult for older people to forgo their amenities, so why not have the best of both worlds? And they are spending their money in Mexico. Nine chances out of 10 they will say, it's a nice place to visit but etc, etc, etc.
ms mac

lamur

Jan 22, 2010, 11:35 AM

Post #9 of 16 (13164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

I agree ms mac. Not everyone is looking for the same thing. It's their retirement and they've lived long enough to enjoy it as they wish. There simply isn't a "one size fits all"... everyone's comfort level is different. I've never NEEDED all the lux stuff...but it's nice once in awhile. Everyone's dream is different...as is everyone's idea of paradise. As long as they're not hurting anyone and bringing cash in to the community...why not live and let live?

La Isla

Jan 22, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #10 of 16 (13146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

In Reply To
Wow, a thread about moving to Mexico has Walmart as a central part of its discussion! WTF! This seems to be a common theme in many posts on this subject.

If your criteria for choosing a place to live in Mexico revolves around Walmart and the box stores and whether you'll be happy with the quality of the baked goods stay the hell NOB.

Actually I find this whole wave of retiree immigrants disgusting. Their main concerns center on being able to acquire the same creature comforts they are accustomed to at home.

"Disgusting" is a bit strong, don't you think, MD? In years past, I almost enjoyed not being able to enjoy the creature comforts I did at home; in a way, it was part of the experience of living in Mexico. Now, of course, it's nice to find things like Philadelphia Brand cream cheese and my favorite body lotions at the local Superama, but in a pinch I could do without them. However, there does seem to be a group of people whose main reasons for moving to Mexico have more to do with the lower cost of living (if you live on dollars) and the fine weather than a wish to immerse themselves in a new culture.

Rolly

Jan 22, 2010, 3:29 PM

Post #11 of 16 (13145 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggest

to immerse themselves in a new culture.

That was my choice. But I must confess that I was delighted when Sam's opened in Lerdo. I was disappointed that Home Depot came after I finished my building projects.

Rolly Pirate

Tab

Jan 23, 2010, 6:20 AM

Post #12 of 16 (13084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

Mazbook1, where is this "collectively-owned restaurant/bar/community center for the English speaking expat group"? And what is it called?

Thanks

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 23, 2010, 6:44 AM

Post #13 of 16 (13079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tab] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

I'm not sure what the official name is now, but it still contains the original name, 'Canucks'. The sale and change took place last Spring.

Edit: I have discovered the official name is The North American Community & Entertainment Center Association (NACEC), but they are still using Canucks original website and signage.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jan 24, 2010, 8:43 AM)

mazbook1

Jan 23, 2010, 5:41 PM

Post #14 of 16 (13042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tab] My parents are looking to retire on the pacific coast of Mexico.. any suggestio

Since Marlene didn't answer the "where", Canuck's (which it will always be to those of us who have lived here more than 6 months and which it still uses in its posted advertising) is either a short block or a long half-block north, up the hill, on the Malecón from the deer statue (or the Shrimp Bucket restaurant/bar) in Olas Altas, the original tourist beach in Mazatlán.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 23, 2010, 5:41 PM)

Tab

Jan 25, 2010, 7:44 AM

Post #15 of 16 (12980 views)

Shortcut

Thank you. I know exactly where it is.

BajaGringo

Feb 2, 2010, 10:24 AM

Post #16 of 16 (12838 views)

Shortcut

If they don't want the high heat/humidity of Mazatlan they might want to consider the northern Baja Pacific coast. There are a lot of nice areas just south of Ensenada with reasonable pricing, great views, weather and in Ensenada they will find everything they need; Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc...

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4