Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

cadelucia5

Jan 20, 2010, 1:39 PM

Post #1 of 14 (10446 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Merida

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello! My name is Christina I am 28 yrs old and have been married for 8 yrs now. We have 4 children together and are wanting to move to Merida this summer. My husband was a US Marine who was injured in Iraq. He was recently retired from the Marines at 100%disabled. Currently we are living in Detroit and are desperately wanting to move somewhere that we can make our fixed income go the further. We have researched inexpensive places to move to in the US and none seem to compare to what we could get in Mexico. I do realize this is a huge decision especially with children involved. I have been doing as much research as I can lately and Merida seems like an amazing place. We would love to hear other people's experience w moving from the US to the Yucatan Peninsula. We have lived in all sorts of different places due to the Marines. I am originally from FL and we did a tour in 29 Palms CA. I am hoping the weather wont be as awful as some ppl are making it out to be...I am really looking for a safe place to raise our kids as well..they are all under age 7! We currently make 6000 a month tax free so I am wondering if that is enough to live off of there? We do know we would probably have to put the kids into private schools til they learned Spanish. But I feel that what we would save in rent and utilities would make that possible. Right now we pay 375 just to insure our cars here in Detroit. I keep hearing that insurance is like 400 a yr in Mexico! Any tips, advice..good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Are we crazy for wanting to move to another Country?! I know everyone I have told thinks we are, lol!! But I hope there are some other ppl out there like us living on fixed incomes who wont think we are so crazy!! Thanks again for any advice you may have? And if anyone knows of any other parts of Mexico that would be good for a young family we would welcome that as well!

Hound Dog

Jan 20, 2010, 1:55 PM

Post #2 of 14 (10440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cadelucia5] Moving to Merida

You can live well indeed on $6,000USD a month tax free in Merida. Your kids will benefit greatly from attending schools in that city whether public or private.. An excellent choice if you are not put off by incessant heat and humidity and are or plan to become proficient n Spanish

Other possibilities, all within the budget you propose with is quite generous:
Guadalajara
Cuernavca
Tuxtla Gutierrez
San Luis Potosi
Colima
Oaxaca
Huatulco
Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo
Bacalar
Comitan, Chiapas
Guanajuato City
Xalapa
Orizaba, Veracruz

That was fun.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 20, 2010, 2:01 PM)

cadelucia5

Jan 20, 2010, 2:04 PM

Post #3 of 14 (10434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Moving to Merida

Wow thats a lot of possible cities:) I will have to dive right in a start researching them!! Yah I know 6000 tax free is quite a bit, but we just cant seem to make it go far in the States. We currently rent and for 1150 we have a small home outside of Detroit. Def not big enough for a family of 6, we so desperately need something bigger but just cant afford to go much hugher here in the states! Our electric bill was 300 this past month alone,not to mention 375 for auto ins, 125 for water, cable is 125 and food is the huge expense here!! We never have any money left over for savings or anything else that matter. We do have 2 car pmts right now but when we move we will only be bringing the suv w us so that alone will save us an extra 600 per month! I think we can make it on one car since neither of us will be working! I am really hoping we can make this work and get stuff together by June:) I am applying for our passports soon...:)

Rolly

Jan 20, 2010, 2:07 PM

Post #4 of 14 (10432 views)

Shortcut

Welcome to MexConnect!!!

US$6,000 per month is quite a bit in México. You can make it well.

You might want to checkout my website for more information about moving to and living in México.

http://rollybrook.com/...Directory.htm#Useful

Rolly Pirate

cadelucia5

Jan 20, 2010, 2:28 PM

Post #5 of 14 (10429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Moving to Merida

Thanks Rolly! I will check it out:)

frito

Jan 20, 2010, 6:13 PM

Post #6 of 14 (10398 views)

Shortcut

San Miguel de Allende has a substantial expat population so finding fellow English speakers would be easy. The reason I mention it is I read an article a few years ago that said the expat population tended to cover a broad age range, not just retirees. There are quite a few American children enrolled in school there. It's a bit on the expensive side(I've read), but I imagine it's very doable on $6k a month. And you won't have to deal with heat and humidity.

Zorba

Jan 21, 2010, 12:54 AM

Post #7 of 14 (10376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] Moving to Merida

Hi, is that 6000 dollars what you have now with you working or 6000 from you husband's disability allowance alone? If it is just his disability allowance, I am surprised at how substantial it is. I do not mean to imply that what you and your husband have suffered is not worth it. I am just surprised that the government would give such a large amount, being the government and all.

Anyways, moving all the way to Mexico seems like a big change for the problem you have. Have you looked fully into ways of alleviating your situation while staying in the US? I mean, if a person can't live on 6 grand a month in the US, I am shocked. That would seem like plenty to me, but I don't have a large family myself so certainly am no authority. Are there ways you could cut costs in the US as opposed to packing up and shipping off to Mexico?

Having said that, if you really do need to improve your situation, I would totally back your idea of moving to Mexico. Don't worry too much about what your family and friends say. They likely have no clue of what they are talking about when it comes to Mexico and have lived inside a comfortable box all their life. Mexico is not far. They can visit and so can you. No biggie. Don't worry about your kids. They will adjust just fine. Kids are way better at it than we are.

I find that although Mexicans may not have as much disposable cash, they have a better lifestyle than us. Life is a bit slower. Family and friends are appreciated more. There is more of a sense of community. Mexico does have its drawbacks though. There is injustice, corruption, pollution and a general lack of security in the country. However, if you are living in Detroit, you are probably no worse off (or perhaps better) in Mexico depending on where you settle.

Really, what do you have to lose? Try it and if you don't like it, move back. You wont lose anything. You may gain everything.
Six thousand is a lot to live on in Mexico. You could have a great lifestyle with that kind of money.

You could probably rent a nice place depending where you are for around 5000 pesos. A private school will run you around 3000 pesos a month per child. Car insurance is cheap. Gas is cheap. Food and clothes are cheaper if you know where to shop. You can sign up for the public health care coverage (literally costs like only a few hundred dollars a year). You could also get a private health care plan at a fraction of the cost in the US. Friend of mine recently was offered a comprehensive plan for 14 000 pesos a year. You may have full coverage in the US for serious illness anyways, so that may be moot.

I would throw out a rough estimate of 40,000 pesos a month and that is a lot (with public health care plan). You could do it cheaper if you wanted to. Someone else here could probably give you a better estimate, but Im probably not far off. That comes to around 3300 US. Leaves you almost 3000 US to play with. Not bad at all.

You should do some more research, though, about where you will go. There are a lot of great choices in Mexico. It is a very diverse country and conditions on the ground can vary greatly from place to place.

frito

Jan 21, 2010, 6:15 AM

Post #8 of 14 (10360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Moving to Merida

My sister-in-law has been disabled for 17 years. Due to that they also receive a check equal to half of her disability for my nephew. Paid to them until he's 16 I believe, then directly to him. Stops at 18 unless he's still in high school. If so continues to 19. I think there's a limit to what any one family can get but with 6 kids I'm guessing that's the reason for $6k a month.

prmjcm

Jan 21, 2010, 9:21 AM

Post #9 of 14 (10339 views)

Shortcut

Hi welcome to the forum, first I came to mexico and love it here but there are many things you must consider, so Rolly is a wealth of knowledge, his website has many answers to the question of moving to mexico about visas, should you come in your own car and the paperwork necessary to do all these things, but remember anything is possible if you want to do it. I would also recommend Rollys book on Moving To Mexico, The title is "The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico", written by Carol Schmidt, Norma Hair, and of course our own guru Rolly Brook, I think you can get it through Amazon but again ask Rolly, He answered every question I asked him with good information. I wish you all the best and as a former Marine tell your husband he is in my heart, "Semper Fi", and if there is anything I can do to help feel free to ask.

Pat Moore

La Isla

Jan 21, 2010, 12:05 PM

Post #10 of 14 (10321 views)

Shortcut

Hi Cristina,

I don't mean to be a wet blanket and discourage you from moving to Mexico, but a couple of things have me concerned about your situation. First of all, have you ever lived outside the United States? Have you ever even just vacationed in Mexico? You can do all the research you want online, but nothing can prepare you for the reality of moving to and living in a foreign country, especially if you don't speak the language and have some understanding of what the culture is like. Before you decide to move to Merida (or anywhere else in Mexico), I strongly suggest you spend some time here, perhaps without your children (if that's possible), to get at least a minimal sense of what life is like for expats in Mexico.

Peter

Jan 21, 2010, 4:21 PM

Post #11 of 14 (10301 views)

Shortcut

It is a different world here. For the climate the central highlands of Mexico are about as pleasant as anywhere in the world. Coming from Detroit rather than New Orleans might make Mérida a bit of a shock weatherwise.

A couple places in the central highlands with nice weather year around that are good places to more gradually become aclimated, physically and mentally are Chapala area and San Miguel de Allende as they have many ex-pats and you can get by with less Spanish than in other areas. These places are good starting points and will give you the chance to find where in Mexico will suit you best. Everyone I know has readjusted their thinking about what they really want here, it´s never exactly how they pictured it to begin with.

Debi in Merida

Feb 21, 2010, 8:43 AM

Post #12 of 14 (10024 views)

Shortcut

Definitly go to Yolisto.com , there you will find folks living in or around Merida, both WITH and without children. It is from other
folks WITH children that you will get your best advice.

buena suerte

indira26

Apr 7, 2010, 6:22 AM

Post #13 of 14 (9521 views)

Shortcut

Hello, Christina I saw your post because I'm looking into vacationing in Merida with my kids. I Just wanted to let you know that the Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana Area, is great to raise your kids. My husband got stationed here at Barksdale AFB in 2002 and we have decided to stay. There are many options for schools private and public. Bossier City in my opinion for public schools. Shreveport also has great magnet schools which are public but the kids are tested in order to get in. The military community Its great, and the civilians here respect and appreciate men and woman in the service. I believe that you will be able to find a great house in a good and safe community with your income. I will be happy to help if you would like more information. Have a great day!!

beachdreamer

Apr 10, 2010, 8:31 PM

Post #14 of 14 (9375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [indira26] Moving to Merida

If your husband has a 100% disability rating, I would think he would need to be near a VA clinic or hospital....you need to factor this into your thought process.
An adventure begins with a dream

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4