Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

jadasan

Oct 23, 2002, 12:15 PM

Post #1 of 5 (8758 views)

Shortcut

San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post |
My boyfriend and I are planing to go to San Miguel in February. Neither of us has been to Mexico. I've been to some border towns, but I'm sure itís nothing the same. It is going to be a little adventure for us. We will be staying there for around three months, if we can find a place to live. I've herd that it is not so hard to go down there and find a place to stay rather than finding a place while we're still in the states. We had some friends that went to San Miguel last winter and fell in love with it. I guess what I want to know is if anyone has done the same thing that we are planing to do and if so how did it work. I am a virgin to Mexico and I don't really know how things work there. My boyfriend is Swedish so I am used to being in a foreign country, but I really don't know what to expect from Mexico. If anyone has any advice, or lives in San Miguel I would love some feed back or just some stories on life in Mexico. What I should look out for what I should expect as a gringo.

Jadasan

smacarol

Oct 23, 2002, 8:56 PM

Post #2 of 5 (8696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jadasan] San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post |
Have to say that almost every day somebody writes a post such as yours, asking for somebody here to take the time to write you the equivalent of a book, to tell you all the information which is already available on Mex Connect and in other sites and books.

Do some homework first and find out all the general information on Mexico and on San Miguel, and then come back to ask some specific questions.

I will answer one question--February is a very crowded time in SMA and you might not be able to find a place to stay if you come in with no reservations. Do web site searches for San Miguel and you will come across many sites with housing information. Good luck doing your basic research.

Carol Schmidt

Bret in Portland

Oct 23, 2002, 11:08 PM

Post #3 of 5 (8682 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Jadasan, here is the best way to plan your trip:

Go to the bookstore, buy a good travel guide that covers SMA (read through a couple and see which one fits your style-they are quite different in their approaches.)

Then, when you've read the guide(s) and decided what sounds interesting to you, go to the internet sites like MexConnect and read the articles and archives on those areas.

If you still have questions or want opionions to help you chose between hotels, side-trips, etc, that is the perfect time to utilize the knowledge of the people on the boards.

purepecha

Jan 24, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6562 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
As a Mexican, I can tell you that San Miguel de Allende is like a little US town in Mexico ... so going there is not really going to Mexico not to mention the fact that it is way over priced, lots of people from US and other English speaking countries which have made San Miguel de Allende their home.

Anonimo

Jan 24, 2012, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 5 (6557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [purepecha] San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post | Private Reply
For what it's worth, please note that the original post is approximately 9 years old.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Jan 24, 2012, 4:43 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4