Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Hound Dog

Jan 19, 2010, 8:20 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5789 views)

Shortcut

About Town in San Cristóbal Centro

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, so I must admit, the restaurant scene in San Cristóbal is a bit overrated and the restaurant scene at Lake Chapala´s "Lakeside" foreign colony is underrated but at least, here in San Cristóbal, if you go out to dine you are not surrounded by Goobers reminiscent of yourself and suffering anxiety attacks that Nurse Cratchet will show up at any time and perform a frontal lobotomy on you or Les Brown and his Band of Reknown will strke up Roll Out The Barrel.

If you are in San Cristóbal for only a few days and have had the good sense to find a hotel room in the historic center of town, here are some ideas on entertaining dining and drinking in the vicinity:

REVOLUCÍION BAR
On the Andador near the main plaza and across the street from the blessed Church of the Burger King serving up drinks and what we in the Southern United States would call "hoagies" with often fabulous music at night. This bar/sandwich joint has a leftist theme centered mainly on Cuba and Che Guevara and the EZLN and what have you and fine Cubano music and not only will you greatly enjoy the food, drink and music but you can feel liberated from your Republican Uptight Suburban life back in Moline.

If you don´t like "hoagies", a cheese whopper awaits you across the street once you have become pleasantly juiced up.

RESTAURANTE ALAMEDA
A fun place where you can enjoy excellent sandwiches and tortas and breakfasts with a full bar and the place provides al fresco dining in a fun courtyard which, on a splendid January day as was yesterday (and today for that matter) at 85F with crystal sunshine, is a hell of a great way to enjoy a simple but tasty lunch accompanied by an ice cold XX Lager.

This place is on historic Calle General Utrilla a few blocks from the main plaza known locally as "El Jardin" and adjacent to the Santo Domingo Convent. A great location offering you an opportunity to walk a few blocks and explore the city´s incredible indigenous market which must be seen to be believed.

EL PUNTO
For some reason, San Cristóbal has a lot of Italian residents and, consequently, quite a few Italian restaurants and pizza joints. El Punto is Dawg´s favorite local pizza joint serving up fabulous pizzas flamed over a wood fire oven. Great stuff. They serve up a large variety of pizzas, all medium sized but Dawg is a creaure of habit so I always order the Siciciliana with anchovies, green olives, onions , garlic and hot red chile flakes among other ingredients. OK; I admit the onions and extra sliced garlic are my idea but I´m married to a French woman so that´s alright.

El Punto is located on Calle Cómitan in the El Cerrillo Barrio across from the barrio church and plaza and a short and pleasant walk from the central plaza through beautiful and ancient colonial streets.

Enough already even though I have many other recomendations to come.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 19, 2010, 8:59 AM)

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 19, 2010, 4:20 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] About Town in San Cristóbal Centro

My youngest recently returned from a road trip to Chiapas and happened to have visited El Punto for pizza. In his opinion, the pizza was alright but the service was deplorable.

esperanza

Jan 19, 2010, 4:34 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5744 views)

Shortcut

Glad to see your post, Dawg. Any repercussions from the fire in San Cristóbal's indigenous market today?

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/...asas-dana-40-puestos

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Hound Dog

Jan 19, 2010, 6:56 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] About Town in San Cristóbal Centro

My youngest recently returned from a road trip to Chiapas and happened to have visited El Punto for pizza. In his opinion, the pizza was alright but the service was deplorable.

I am sorry to hear your son received bad service at El Punto, Manuel. We just returned here a week ago after an eight months absence and the first thing that struck me was that El Punto, whiich went through some rough times after changing ownership, had gotten its act together finally after some inexcusable lapses in quality and service. Recommending restaurants is always a risky business but I think, (and hope) El punto has it together now, especially since it is close by the boy´s digs.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 19, 2010, 6:57 PM)

Hound Dog

Jan 19, 2010, 7:26 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] About Town in San Cristóbal Centro

Glad to see your post, Dawg. Any repercussions from the fire in San Cristóbal's indigenous market today?

Esperanza:

I was indisposed today and did not make it to the indigenous market but I understand that the fire was in the abastos, not the indigenous market near our home. As you know from having been hereabouts, a fire of that magnitude in the retail market adjacent to our home might have set of a major conflagration which might have resulted in El Gordo here fleeing for his life. I think the fire was not around here even though we heard quite a racket from sirens at about 4:00AM.

I´ll look into and get back to you.

The local press here infers that the problem was an electrical shortage and not an act of sabotage. It seems most of the damage occurred among vendors of pirated CDs and DVDs and 40 vendors were damaged. DAMN! What will Dawg do if the supply of pirated DVDs is interrupted - not that Dawg would ever stoop to buying a pirated DVD God forbid. .

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 19, 2010, 7:28 PM)

Anonimo

Jan 20, 2010, 4:27 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5695 views)

Shortcut

if you go out to dine you are not surrounded by Goobers reminiscent of yourself and suffering anxiety attacks that Nurse Cratchet will show up at any time and perform a frontal lobotomy on you or Les Brown and his Band of Reknown will strke up Roll Out The Barrel.

You never fail to amuse me with your colorful references.
(But, just FYI, it was Nurse Ratchet.)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Vichil

Jan 20, 2010, 6:51 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5681 views)

Shortcut

There are two restaurants called El Punto, one on Real de Guadalupe and the other in El Cerrillo. Hound Dog is talking about the one on our neighborhood in El Cerrillo on Calle Comitan adjacent to the barrio plaza, not the one on Real de Guadalupe in the center.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jan 20, 2010, 7:36 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4