Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Jan 17, 2010, 12:12 PM

Post #26 of 36 (2757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

Can't Post | Private Reply
As usual a well thought out and well worded post on this topic by Esperanza and I, for one, take to heart her comments and observations! Additionally, I stand corrected on the timing of the July not June incidents.

I guess that I am somewhat of a fatalist when it comes to what might happen in life. While I do not believe in taking stupid or unnecessary chances going through life, there are times when I feel that I want to evaluate the benefits versus the possible negatives. So far it seems that this has worked out since I have not "awakened dead" yet! Travel and the experiences and knowledge gained from such are in my blood and I am simply not ready to quit doing so.

There is no question that Esperanza has a great deal more experience living and traveling in Mexico than we do and has the added benefit of knowing the language and people.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

arbon

Jan 17, 2010, 12:46 PM

Post #27 of 36 (2747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

Can't Post |
This is a Mexican forum, so the interest and the only interest, is tourists coming or going to Mexico.

No one is asking if tourists are going elsewhere, or if there a World wide shortage of tourists.

The Baja tourism dept' is trying to attract Mexican (mainland) tourists.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Jan 17, 2010, 12:53 PM

Post #28 of 36 (2746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

I had no idea Morelia is as you described.
_____

That's what happens when the President who is stepping up the war is from a given town. While I was in the process of moving here a few years ago one of the retirement guides described Morelia as boring, like a well-kept graveyard. Looking back his words were prophetic.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jan 17, 2010, 12:57 PM)

La Isla

Jan 17, 2010, 1:42 PM

Post #29 of 36 (2729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

In Reply To
This is a Mexican forum, so the interest and the only interest, is tourists coming or going to Mexico.

No one is asking if tourists are going elsewhere, or if there a World wide shortage of tourists.

The Baja tourism dept' is trying to attract Mexican (mainland) tourists.

Which "Mexican forum" are you talking about?

arbon

Jan 17, 2010, 2:27 PM

Post #30 of 36 (2710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

Can't Post |
"This"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

La Isla

Jan 17, 2010, 2:51 PM

Post #31 of 36 (2701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

In Reply To
"This"

In addition to tourists coming to Mexico, this forum is also for those living in Mexico at present and those who are contemplating moving here. If Mexconnect were only for tourists, I, for one, would not be a participant.

Hound Dog

Jan 17, 2010, 2:58 PM

Post #32 of 36 (2699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

Thank you for your comments, Esperanza:

We have lived in Mexico for nine years and own homes in Ajijic on Lake Chapala and in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas. We regularly travel to the area of Michoacan around Morelia, Patzcuaro and Uruapan. We also regularly travel in Oaxaca and Veracruz States. When we are in Chiapas, as we are at present, we travel with regularity between San Cristobal, Palenque, the Lacandon Forest along the Guatemala border and the Soconusco over main and back roads. We also travel frequently along rural highways in the Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Campeche, Tabasco and other southern Mexico regions.

We had planned to drive recently from Lake Chapala to Chiapas by heading down Michoacan rural roads to the Pacific Coast from Uruapan to Lazaro Cardenas to Acapulco to Huatulco to Chiapas and we opted out deciding instead to drive down the autopistas from Lake Chapala through Queretaro to the new Arco Norte and down though Veracuz State to Chiapas.

We may be stupid but we are not totally brain dead.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 17, 2010, 3:00 PM)

wendy devlin

Jan 17, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #33 of 36 (2694 views)

Shortcut

What I think, arbon might be alluding to, is, tourist and business travel to Mexico, plus living full-time in Mexico. Verses.
Assessing the pluses and minuses, (risk assessment) in reference to tourist/business travel, full-time living in other places.

For example: Here in Canada, international tourism is low compared to recent years. Even, our next-door American neighbours have stopped visiting in signficant numbers. Ditto for the Europeans, the Japanese etc. The industry took a nose-dive in 2009.

A new word, 'stay-cation' entered the tourism industry vocabulary last year.

City, provincial publicity campaign dollars became directed into attracting, people living within several hundred miles, to visit destinations, 'close to home'. Savings re: transportation dollars touted, the 'green appeal' plus special events/specials specifically hosted to attract, what was perceived as the best market for visitor dollars. Last year. In 2010, this trend is likely to continue.

Yes, swine-flu plus increased reports of narco-violence etc. has affected media reporting on Mexico and has likely impacted certain economic sectors like tourism, perhaps investment. However don't forget, that in 2009, there was a financial tsumani in the world, with significant aftershocks that continue for many. Mexico has been strongly affected along with most other nations.

Foreign tourists, international business people/investors, ex-pat retirees, are often perceived as people with extra disposable income, who have the privilege of being able to weigh their options. Nations being perceived as safe places to travel, do business, live full-time is critical to attracting these discretionary dollars.

The majority, whose economic/social/familial lives are being hard impacted by economic/social circumstances where they are living, are concentrating mainly on, 'making it'. And not slipping down, an economic rung or two, if they can help it. Their choices, if they have any discretionary dollars to spare, will cast their sights around the world, looking for the most bang for their buck. In safe, surroundings, so that they can return, a tad refreshed, to their work-a-day lives, in increasingly challenging circumstances.

If Mexicans, in Mexico, in the present, tell friends and family(like myself) that they feel increasingly insecure, or that local situations are deteriorating, how can I ignore that information? Even if others, to whom, nothing has happened, keep saying, that everything is Ok Dokey.
Will these other folks be there for me(mine) if anything critical was to happen? No. I didn't think so.

So who are you going to listen to? Those that care about others, or those that don't?

Now's not the time for a white-wash job, in my opinion. Give me, facts, the good, da bad and da ugly.
Let everyone do their own risk assessment and take responsibility for their decisions.

That's basically what happens, each and every day, everywhere, anyway.

arbon

Jan 17, 2010, 3:52 PM

Post #34 of 36 (2678 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"In addition to tourists coming to Mexico, this forum is also for those living in Mexico at present and those who are contemplating moving here. If Mexconnect were only for tourists, I, for one, would not be a participant."

It is still only for Mexico, and FM3s- FM2s are only tempory untill you chose to change them.

These forums have nothing to do with where Inhabitants came from, or consider the economic state of countries outside of Mexico, not even NAFTA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Jan 17, 2010, 4:11 PM

Post #35 of 36 (2671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Investigation into Salcedo murder continues with few answers

Let everyone do their own risk assessment and take responsibility for their decisions.

That's basically what happens, each and every day, everywhere, anyway.
______

That's about the size of it.

I live in dreaded Michoacán, in the heart of the big city. I need the news agencies to tell me this is a war zone, otherwise it's life as usual. OK, I moved here from southern California and the demographics are about the same. Just cheaper to live here is all, more activities, no junk mail, less stress.

The Mexican people as a whole seem to work hard, play hard, live hard, and die hard. I'm happy to share that with them.

sciman

Jan 17, 2010, 4:52 PM

Post #36 of 36 (2661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] It may not be a trend, but it does happen

Bobby Salcedo's killing impacts not only gringos looking south with trepidation, but Mexican Americans. Some say they won't go back while some refuse to give up hope. Those vacations at home are a thing of the past for some. A lot of images of the past Mexico have passed for some into a type of nostalgia.

In the Salcedo case, family had difficulties even seeing the body, and felt that authorities were hiding the body in fear of the cartels. They had difficulty finding a mortuary willing to take care of the situation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-salcedo17-2010jan17,0,1694674.story
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4