Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Zorba

Jan 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 15 (9060 views)

Shortcut

Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, what does the new decriminalization law in Mexico mean? I am no druggie, but would enjoy a joint once and a while in the privacy of my home. I realize that it has consequences culturally speaking in terms of it being frowned upon by Mexicans. However, the law doesn't make sense to me. You can be in possesion, but you still can't buy it or grow it? How are you supposed to get it then?!

Would it be legal if it were given to you as a gift without any monetary transaction?

MazDee

Jan 17, 2010, 12:17 PM

Post #2 of 15 (9040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

It has been my understanding that it still is illegal, but possession of a small amount will no longer result in jail time. Instead, the court would require counseling. Not that someone is likely to come to your door to arrest you!

Peter

Jan 17, 2010, 12:35 PM

Post #3 of 15 (9035 views)

Shortcut

Would it be legal if it were given to you as a gift without any monetary transaction?

_____

Legal for you to possess up to 5 grams, as I understand the law, but not for you to share it. I suppose you could find it growing in a vacant field or lying in a bag on the ground and no one would be at fault. Growing is considered manufacturing, a very bad crime. From a legal standpoint it is better to purchase it than grow it, which helps to keep the criminal underground in business.

The next level of possession is from over 5 grams up tp 3 kilos, over that it is major possession. 5 Grams is a fair amount of weed for a single person over a long weekend, over an eighth of an ounce, a fair amount to travel with if your going out of town on a picnic or to the beach. But for a regular/semi-regular smoker you would be required to deal with the criminal element on a regular basis to keep stocked within the legal amount.

To have over 5 grams can easily be considered personal possession. If you keep an ounce on hand so you do not have to constantly be seeking the criminal element to make regular purchases the penalty is the same for up to 3 kilos, might as well keep a couple bricks and not have to make a purchase for a couple years. Just don't share it, even your legal 5 grams, or you'll be a trafficker.

Where's the harm? I've been a pot smoker well, well over 40 years. I smoke a lot less now than I used to. I have excellent credit, held responsible positions, secured my retirement at an early age, never been a trafficker - though I have shared at times, nor has the use of cannabis ever been a health threat.

I thought all this "evil weed" nonsense would have ended long ago, but I was naive then. Do you realize by smoking a joint how much money the alcohol industry loses? How much the other recreational industries lose? And if you smoke that joint to chill out after a long day at work or to calm your nerves do you realize the impact this has on Big Pharma? And now the traffickers are well established, law enforcement personnel have been and are being paid off. Almost everyone with power is in on the game and doesn't want to change the status quo - big bucks. It may change but many people are fighting that change, and those not involved are easy to convince that these laws are here for our own good and protection. Just stay out of the line of fire between all the players in the game, their numbers are growing. So are the incidental casualties.

Peter

Jan 17, 2010, 12:40 PM

Post #4 of 15 (9034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

Not that someone is likely to come to your door to arrest you!
_____

I have heard of the Army coming around conducting blanket searches of peoples' homes. I think Rolly mentioned he had his home searched in such.

But I think you are right, it still is a violation and they want you to get counselling for under 5 grams possession. I would hope a small contribution to the local police fund would help bypass that requirement though.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jan 17, 2010, 12:45 PM)

MazDee

Jan 17, 2010, 5:10 PM

Post #5 of 15 (8978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

Actually, I think part of the reason for the change was to reduce the profit involved in arresting people with a couple of joints. How much would you pay to avoid counseling, as opposed to the amount you would pay to stay out of jail?

richmx2

Jan 18, 2010, 10:47 AM

Post #6 of 15 (8883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

Overlooked is that the "decriminalization" also changed the law to allow local police to investigate narcotics (including marijuana) sales, which were federal matters before the change.

As it is, marijuana smokers are considered nacos anyway and the Mexican police are no different than police anywhere on the planet when it comes to finding creative rationales for tossing social misfits in the slammer.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

jeffob

Jan 21, 2010, 12:36 PM

Post #7 of 15 (8724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

My daffy cuz got caught on the beach and shaken down by police for 300.00 A local bartender told him it was a 50 fine and he should have reported the officer. I would think the possible trouble a gringo could get into there would make any drugs worth serious thought. Shitting in someone else's back yard, the consequences, legal or otherwise... it's taking a chance for sure.

In Reply To

tepetapan

Jan 21, 2010, 2:27 PM

Post #8 of 15 (8705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffob] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

300 pesos is cheap if you figure he could be legally deported. That law is for the nationals, tourists can be shown the door. As a guest in Mexico you are expected to obey the laws and pot is still illegal.

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 21, 2010, 2:40 PM

Post #9 of 15 (8702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

In Reply To
300 pesos is cheap if you figure he could be legally deported. That law is for the nationals, tourists can be shown the door. As a guest in Mexico you are expected to obey the laws and pot is still illegal.

Boy I'd sure like to see a cite for that!!

Possession of small amounts as defined under the new law ,5 grams I believe, will result in no penalty. Consumption in public is still frowned upon and can get you busted but not possession of the allowed amounts.

La Isla

Jan 21, 2010, 2:52 PM

Post #10 of 15 (8696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

But why take the chance? I should admit that smoking pot (or anything else) is not something I indulge in. My drug of choice is caffeine!

Peter

Jan 21, 2010, 3:39 PM

Post #11 of 15 (8689 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

I think pot is illegal throughout the world, even Amsterdam. Tolerated is about the best one can hope for. Discretion is key.

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 21, 2010, 4:32 PM

Post #12 of 15 (8673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

In Reply To
But why take the chance? I should admit that smoking pot (or anything else) is not something I indulge in. My drug of choice is caffeine!

Who said anything about taking a chance? I don't use drugs. I haven't even been drunk in over 25 years. I don't promote drug use but I don't judge those who partake. My point was that for those who choose to smoke weed or use other substances, the law allows for the possession of small amounts. Toking in public is another story.

And the part about the law only applying to Mexicans is absurd.

johanson

Jan 21, 2010, 9:12 PM

Post #13 of 15 (8641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

I use drugs, every morning. I don't want to take them but my Doctor says I must. I have high blood pressure. Now if I were speaking Spanish, I would not use the word drugs but medicine.

Lately since Mexico has changed their rules about pot, I have seen younger persons smoking pot on the back streets most mornings as I drive to breakfast. Now maybe it's not pot they are smoking but they are sharing the same joint or maybe only cigarette, sucking in whatever it is they are smoking, holding their breaths, and then exhaling. They're quite public about it and apparently don't care that I can see them.

Why do I not smoke pot? Because I am trying to loose weight. And when many years ago we all smoked pot, afterwards we got the munchies and then I would eat too much.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 21, 2010, 9:19 PM)

arbon

Jan 22, 2010, 10:15 AM

Post #14 of 15 (8597 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What about a Sunday joint, or do you still have those cut to order in Mexico.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

richmx2

Jan 22, 2010, 10:39 AM

Post #15 of 15 (8590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] Enjoy a joint in Mexico?

No... the law is the law. There is no "special law" for nationals and another for foreigners (not on the books anyway). However, a foreigner committing a crime can -- and often is -- deported as an undesirable alien. Should you be suspected of selling (or of holding over the legal limit) you can be held in a Center for Social Readaption until the Investigating Minister gets done with his or her investigation... which is not going to be his or her priority. Deportation under such circumstances is a favor granted to your government, not a legal requirement.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4