Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Flaekingur

Jan 16, 2010, 11:40 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4382 views)

Shortcut

Snorkeling sites near PV

Can't Post | Private Reply
Will be spending some time at Bucerias, Nayarit in February, does anyone know of any good scuba/snorkeling sites in the Bahia Banderas area? I would think that the name "Bucerias" would indicate that there are dive sites nearby. On the sattelite pictures there do not appear to be any coral reefs in the bay. On a short visit many years ago, I snorkelled at "Los Arcos" and there were lots of fish there, probably due to the large number of tour boats that stop there to let passengers snorkel and feed the fish. I have snorkelled for years in Cuba on some fabulous coral reefs there and would like to know if there are any good spots near PV.
Al

Camille

Jan 16, 2010, 12:22 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Snorkeling sites near PV

Will you have a car? There's a dynamite spot at Punta Negra just north of Punta Mita....

Flaekingur

Jan 16, 2010, 1:29 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Snorkeling sites near PV

Yes we will have a car. Is this a reef site? One other question, My daughter and her husband are coming also and he is an ardent scuba diver, would this site be good for scuba, or just snorkeling? They are flying, (we are driving) and they would not be able to bring his scuba equipment; would dependable scuba equipment be available to rent in the PV area?
Al

Camille

Jan 16, 2010, 1:41 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4358 views)

Shortcut

No reef... we had one years ago, but pesticide run-off from the Four Seasons golf course took care of that. And sorry, I know nothing about scuba or equipment for it. There are dive shops in PV, so I'm sure there would be info there.
To reach Punta Negra, head toward Punta Mita and when you see the sign for La Tranquilla take that right turn. Go about a mile to the first dirt road you see, which only goes to the left, and take that all the way to the end. The road makes several turns. Park at the end by Condos Bugambilias and start walking toward the point. There are several spots along the coral beach I've enjoyed snorkeling.
If you want to do a boat trip out to the Mariettas, which is a fabulous day trip, I'd suggest Rudi's boat as being the best one. His office is at the Punta Mita marina, and his cell number is 322-228-7274. He'd know about scuba too.....

Flaekingur

Jan 16, 2010, 9:37 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Snorkeling sites near PV

Muchas gracias, I just checked your directions out on Google Earth and that looks like a great spot. Look forward so trying it out.
Al

mexliving

Jan 17, 2010, 10:46 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4286 views)

Shortcut

The Pacific waters along the coast of Nayarit offer sanctuary to a great profusion of sea life - and snorkeling is a fun-filled experience that your entire family will enjoy! A variety of popular snorkeling trips combine an extraordinary day of sun, fun, and adventure with just the right mixture of entertainment, learning and challenge.

In Riviera Nayarit you’ll find clear waters where you can go diving and observe such species as manta rays, dolphins, Olive Ridley sea turtles, tropical fish, and from November through April you can spy humpback whales.

Punta Mita – Located on the northern end of the Banderas Bay, more than 40 km (25 mi) north of the Puerto Vallarta airport. This spot has a wide variety of marine life, including black coral formations, turtles, lobsters, sailfish and many other species, making it the ideal place to scuba dive and snorkel.

El Anclote – Located slightly more than 30 km (19 mi) north of the Puerto Vallarta International Airport, near Punta Mita. Here you can go scuba diving while observing coral reefs that surround a natural pier. You’ll also see such species as turtles and manta rays.

Islas Marietas – Located 10 km (6 mi) from Punta Mita, on the Banderas Bay. The waters off these islands offer a wide array of underwater scenery. You’ll see turtle habitats, dolphins, giant manta rays and spectacular humpback whales. The rock formations form reefs in waters that are so clear that you’ll have visibility at a depth of 10 meters (33 feet).

Bucerias – Located 19 km (12 mi) north of the Puerto Vallarta International Airport. This is considered the perfect spot to scuba dive, thanks to the abundant marine fauna and scuba rentals you’ll find here.

Destiladeras – Lies 30 km (19 mi) north of the Puerto Vallarta International Airport. At this beach you can check out the tide pools and go scuba diving to observe a wide assortment of colorful tropical fish.

Sayulita – Lies 26 km (16 mi) northwest of Riviera Nayarit along Highway 200, about 45 minutes from the Puerto Vallarta International Airport. This is a great place to scuba dive while observing the marine fauna that inhabits the rock formations

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4