Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

karenmclafferty

Jan 14, 2010, 12:38 PM

Post #1 of 13 (16462 views)

Shortcut

Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I are retired and thinking of moving from the Chapala area to a more vibrant environment like Guadalajara. Can anybody suggest "desirable" yet modest neighborhoods in Guadalajara where we may start to look for a house/apartment to rent? (We have both spent twenty-plus years living in Latin America, know its culture and speak Spanish fluently.)

esperanza

Jan 14, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #2 of 13 (16423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [karenmclafferty] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Before moving to Morelia, Michoacán, I lived for several years in Col. Vallarta San Jorge, Guadalajara. The colonia is just a few blocks west of the Glorieta Minerva. It's exceptionally convenient to shopping, restaurants, Guadalajara's Centro Histórico, and public transportation. Vallarta San Jorge is also very quiet, filled with trees (and a park, at the corners of Av. Homero/Calle Fidias and Hidalgo), almost entirely residential, and very affordable. The surrounding colonias are also very pleasant. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more information about life in Guadalajara; like you, I moved to the city because I was looking for a more vibrant environment. I found one and loved my life there.

Here's the zoom-able Guia Rojí map of the area:
http://mapas.guiaroji.com.mx/...gv_x=044&gv_y=4E

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 14, 2010, 4:52 PM)

sioux4noff

Jan 14, 2010, 9:27 PM

Post #3 of 13 (16388 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Esperanza, what prompted your move from Guadalajara to Morelia? We just spent a week in Guadalajara, stayed near Plaza del Sol. I think we could like living in the big city, but not right now.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Jan 14, 2010, 9:28 PM)

esperanza

Jan 15, 2010, 7:50 AM

Post #4 of 13 (16354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

<blushes>
I met the love of my life, who happened to live in Morelia. And I met her through MexConnect! It was a flip of the coin whether I would move here or she would move there. Since the two of us needed more space than either of the houses we were living in provided, both of us were going to have to move, wherever we were going to live. We found a fabulous house in Morelia and I moved here. Can you say happily ever after?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Jan 15, 2010, 5:01 PM

Post #5 of 13 (16314 views)

Shortcut

That is a lovely story! Best wished to the 2 of you.

Camille

Jan 15, 2010, 9:26 PM

Post #6 of 13 (16297 views)

Shortcut

Congratulations, Cristina, we should all be so lucky......

gypsyruth38

Jan 20, 2010, 8:49 AM

Post #7 of 13 (16157 views)

Shortcut

Our experience of living in Guadalajara for one year was very positive. We lived in the Chapalita area, modest, safe, and within walking distance (if you're interested) to many places. Sandi's Bookstore, banks, laundromat, bakery, fabric store, and many other places.

mexliving

Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 PM

Post #8 of 13 (16080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gypsyruth38] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

i like the zapopan area.... lots of malls/restaurants/and good hospitals and there is a cryspy cream donut shop.... not to mention the vip movie theaters

Manuel Dexterity

Jan 22, 2010, 5:11 AM

Post #9 of 13 (16072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

Zapopan is not a neighborhood.

chuckgdl

Jan 23, 2010, 5:01 PM

Post #10 of 13 (16017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Neighborhoods in Guadalajara

I don't know what you consider modest. For me it's around $350 so that's where I live.
I live in Colonia Tepeyac, a few miles from Plaza del Sol and close to a new plaza which I cannot pronounce the name. The areas around Moctezuma/Patria are nice as is Estancia which is in the Plaza Galeria/Costco/Sams area. You did not mention if you have your own transportation or rely on public transportation. House rental will be around $600 dollars per month up. House rentals in my colonia go for around 3800 pesos per mo. Other nice areas are La Calma and Las Fuentes.

You can look in the newspaper http://aviso.informador.com.mx/bienes-raices/ and browse around. Google can translate the page for you if necessary.

Chapilita is nice. A lot of american and canadian people live around there. Also have the American Society Club there as well.

Hope this helps.

lostinmex

Jan 24, 2010, 4:26 PM

Post #11 of 13 (15958 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We've lived in the Chapalita area for ten years,within walking distance of Sandi's (which we rarely visit). The neighborhood is convenient to grocery shopping,some restaurants,churches,bus stops,taxi stands,post office. Prices for housing are moderate.

We also like the Providencia neighborhood,as well as Ciudad del Sol. The area around the US consulate (in the area around the intersection of Chapultepec and Lopez Cotilla) is nice-much older and more colonial but also more commercial so maybe too noisy. But if we were moving we would look at it.

Georgia

Feb 1, 2010, 6:47 PM

Post #12 of 13 (15788 views)

Shortcut

We have a home in Tlaquepaque close to the shopping/tourist district and Ilove it. Calle Independencia is a pedestrian street and you can go out and stroll and visit whenever. Walking to the market across the Parian is convenient. There is always something going on there and I enjoy the amenities of city life with a small town feel. But we're only 10 minutes from Guadalajara centro. For us, it's perfect. We do have a lot of friends there, so that influenced our decision to have a home there as well as Lakeside. We have the best of both worlds and I love it.

mercyd

Feb 4, 2010, 9:29 AM

Post #13 of 13 (15708 views)

Shortcut

Hi, I have lived in Guadalajara since 1967 (father with US Govt) and now do real estate here in Guadalajara and relocation for corporate expats.
We have lots of great areas in Guadalajara!! I personally like the following:
Ciudad Granja - affordable rents - yet you feel like you are in a little Mexican village - on the West side of town out off of Vallarta -
Chapalita - both sides of Lopez Mateos - has little apts. and great for walking to restaurants, stores, etc.
Colonia Americana - the part of Guadalajara that I lived in the 60's (Calle Marsella & Lopez Cotilla) off of Chapultepec - very up and coming neighborhood - with restaurants , stores, etc... a little younger neighborhood.
If you are looking for something furnished and affordable - go to either Sandi's book store on Tepeyac in Chapalita to their bulletin board or over to the American Society - on San Francisco in Chapalita - to see their bulletin board - they normally have lots of rentals for those looking for something inexpensive, furnished and used to renting to foreigners!
Mercy Stirling de Duenas
Trilenium Bienes Raices / Real Estate
www.trileniumbienesraices.com
Av. Ninos Heroes 2686 A
Col. Jardines del Bosque
Guadalajara, Jalisco Mexico cp 44520
(01152) 33-3647-5854
celular 044-333-952-1796
MAGIC JACK 520-284-0182
http://guadalajararealestate.blogspot.com/
AMPI member & TRC certified

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4