Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

nonmeister

Jan 10, 2010, 10:29 AM

Post #1 of 8 (8063 views)

Shortcut

"Current" RVing in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hubby and I are getting ready to head off on a maiden voyage in our new RV. We would like to know if there is any new advice for RV entry at the border and travel in Mexico. We live in North Carolina where it is suppose to be warm/mild most of the year but it is freezing. We love Mexico but have not been there in about 5 years or so. Yes, we have a travel book but are hearing awful stuff about "gringos" being kidnapped etc. We try to take it with a grain of salt yet can't help but be concerned. We are older now and slower. We are heading to Lake Chapala but hear it isn't all that warm now. We are hoping by the time we get there that will change Any advice and suggestions? Por favor. Hi-yo silver away.

raferguson

Jan 10, 2010, 8:31 PM

Post #2 of 8 (8021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nonmeister] "Current" RVing in Mexico

I assume that you have the Church Rv book, if not, buy it.

As you probably know, the border areas are the most dangerous areas. I suggest the following strategy: 1. Camp on the US side of the border. 2. Wake up early, and cross the border not long after dawn. 3. Keep driving south until you are 100 mi or so south of the border.

You might be careful to stop in relatively secure places, like gas stations, rather than just pulling over at a wide spot in the road. Don't drive at night, but that has been the standard advice in Mexico for as long as I can remember.

Obviously you want to cross at some place other than the big cities, with Juarez being perhaps the most dangerous city right now. The Church book can help you pick a good crossing.

I am not sure that Mexico is a lot more dangerous than it was 5 years ago, at least for tourists. Security concerns are on everybody's mind now, for obvious reasons.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

sparks

Jan 11, 2010, 6:00 AM

Post #3 of 8 (7989 views)

Shortcut

You might want to try -www.rv.net- for current info. They have an active Mexico/Central America message board

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

tepetapan

Jan 11, 2010, 8:38 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7969 views)

Shortcut

I have not heard of gringos being kidnapped, a couple times but connected to the drug crack down, but tourists have not been targeted and seem to be avoided. That´s my opinion from daily reading daily of US and Mexico news outlets. Anyone know of gringos being kidnapped? Links?

esperanza

Jan 11, 2010, 11:58 AM

Post #5 of 8 (7941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] "Current" RVing in Mexico

I don't have a link, but yes, an American friend of mine and his wife were victims of an 'express kidnapping' in Mexico City.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

nonmeister

Jan 11, 2010, 3:31 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] "Current" RVing in Mexico

Hi Folks and thanks for the info. We leave this Friday and will make our way from NC to Ajijic for starts. I will try to let you know how the border crossing goes. Joe, my better half came up with a brilliant idea. We will get all our paper work done at the border plus, our vehicle processing then turn around go back to US side to spend the night...then go back across the border into MX again... and hopefully get through fast and have a good whole day to drive away from the border.
I think it is a good idea so we'll let you know. the Church's recommended getting insurance etc. one day and then crossing over early to take care of vehicle proceessing and hopefully getting out of town fast.

we'll see and I will let you know. we should be at the border in 2 weeks. We are stopping in New Orleans just to see how it looks now and to check in with my VooDoo Psychic (YIKES!). Then on to the beach at Corpus Christi.

I am so happy to get back to Mexico. We had planned to get back sooner but I had a stroke and it took 1 1/2 years to get back on my feet literally. I was going to do a booksigning at LCS but alas, it was not to be. Maybe this time. I will let you know. Come on over for a free book.

I am reseaching 2 books now on my way around N. America.

Again thanks and stay in touch if you hear something you thing may be helpful. I love the web sites. We also have RV and Camping in Mexico and it sounds like there are some nice RV Parks there.

I'll be in touch. Stay warm. It is warming up here so I know it is there :) Nonmeister

jerezano

Jan 12, 2010, 10:28 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7842 views)

Shortcut

Hello nonmeister,

You say that you will be leaving North Carolina for Ajijic Mexico.

You will be driving an RV (whether trailer or motor home makes no difference.

You say you will be stopping in Corpus Christi.

So, adding all those together it would only be good sense to drive down the coast from Corpus to Harlingen on Interstate 77. High speed easy drive all the way. Overnight in Harlingen, leave Harlingen about 7:00AM drive south on 77-83 toward San Benito, just as you leave Harlingen (the last exit is Ed Carey Drive--Airport exit) and continuing ,the next exit Paso Real is for the International Free Trade Bridge at Los Indios. If you miss and hit San Benito exits, turn around and go back. Easy. The bridge sign is easy to miss. Paso Real sign not easy to miss. Easy crossing. Just don't get mixed up with the transmigrants who may be there getting through Mexico papers to go on to Guatamala, Costa Rica, etc. Different clerks. Immigration and customs are in side by side buildings, copy machines available, no long lines, and usually a 15 minute or so processing time.

From there just head straight on south to Cd. Victoria, the Via Corte to San Luis Potosi and from there follow the gjuidelines available here on mexconnect to Ajijic.

NO HIGHWAY TOLLS at all until after San Luis Potosí and then depending on your routing from there on yes, or minimum.

Excellent highways all the way. From the border to the checkpoint it will be two lane, well surfaced, sometimes an extra half lane. Many topes because that region is a fruitful agricultural region.

Look here on these forums for a practically mile by mile description of this route I made several years past. I am told that the one bad section of highway near Matahuala has been improved.

If you haven't run into highway tolls (cuotas) in Mexico yet, they are horrendous, especially for a motor home or trailer.

This route also has NO major grades all the way to San Luis Potosí. I know nothing from there on. Be sure and keep a full fuel tank, especially between the check point and Cd Victoria and Cd. Victoria to SLP.

If you left Harlingen about 7A you should be in SLP around 5 to 7P depending on your speed.

Good luck. Have a good trip.

jerezano.

nonmeister

Jan 12, 2010, 12:51 PM

Post #8 of 8 (7819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] "Current" RVing in Mexico

Hello Jerezano, thanks for the recommendations as we did not know about this crossing. We have a small RV C Class and hope the tolls(if we accidentally get on one aren't that awful. I don't mind them and feel safer on them but don't want to pay an arm or leg for them. We will go on site to get directions to the Lake. W ehave driven it several times but from a different direct ach time. we though we might try to spend some time on the beach this time at Corpus Christi. Yum...Yum some warm weather would be nice too.

Thanks again.

Nonmeister

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4