Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

esilva

Jan 7, 2010, 1:47 PM

Post #1 of 19 (7795 views)

Shortcut

Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, can anyone help me find info (internet or other) on how to go about legalizing the transfer of a vehicle from U.S. to Mexico? I would like to have everything taken care of before I leave to Mexico. I will be visiting my family soon (I haven't been to Mexico since 1986), and I would love to leave my family some very needed means of transportation. Thanks in advance for any help or links. Elida

Rolly

Jan 7, 2010, 2:01 PM

Post #2 of 19 (7784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esilva] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

The regulations allow only a certain few vehicles to be nationalized. It can only be done by a Mexican citizen, and it is expensive.

Your best approach would be to sell the vehicle in the USA, and give the money, plus more as needed, to your family for them to purchase a vehicle in México.

Rolly Pirate

esilva

Jan 7, 2010, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 19 (7748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

What very sad news! :o( Thank you anyway Rolly. Elida

Hound Dog

Jan 8, 2010, 10:23 AM

Post #4 of 19 (7664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esilva] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

I´m sorry, Elida but I don´t get your comment that Rolly´s comment and advice to you is "very sad news". You sell your U.S. plated car in the U.S. and use the proceeds to buy a car in Mexico. What´s sad about that?

Reefhound

Jan 8, 2010, 11:14 AM

Post #5 of 19 (7648 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

It's sad for her because she cannot do waht she was hoping to do. Maybe the alternative works for her, maybe not. She was hoping to give her car to relatives. Now maybe she can sell it and give them the money to buy a new one but there's always something lost in the process. If she can even sell it here and get a reasonable price. Selling a car can be a hassle. Gotta fix it up, clean it up, advertise it, deal with phone calls, show it to buyers, listen to whiners, then haggle a price. Or dump it for a pittance to a wholesale buyer. Then her relatives have the hassle of shopping for a car, finding something affordable and reliable, then haggle a price. Or buy it for a premium from a retail dealer.

Don't cars cost more in Mexico? That's always what I heard, if so her relatives wouldn't be able to get an equivalent car with the sale proceeds. And maybe it's just me, but sometimes I prefer to give things than cash. What if her intent is to give them a car, she sells her car and gives them the cash, then they blow the cash on other stuff?

Hound Dog

Jan 8, 2010, 11:43 AM

Post #6 of 19 (7637 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

Don't cars cost more in Mexico? That's always what I heard, if so her relatives wouldn't be able to get an equivalent car with the sale proceeds. And maybe it's just me, but sometimes I prefer to give things than cash. What if her intent is to give them a car, she sells her car and gives them the cash, then they blow the cash on other stuff?

No, cars don´t necessarily cost more in Mexico. That is a myth.If she prefers not to bring cash then she sells the U.S. car, comes to Mexico, buys a used car in Mexico at a used car tianguis and presents the car to them or, she can simply sell the car illegally to them and let them own and drive it illegally if she is going back NOB and has no enforceble legal liability. This strikes me as much ado about nothing.

Let´s put things in perspective. Why should you be able to sell a U.S. car in Mexico where illegal smuggling of U.S. cars is a huge problem, any more than you can drive a Mexican car to the U.S. and sell it there without a similar hassle?

By the way, we´ve owned a Mexican purchased and legally plated Nissan ExTrail in this country for six years purchased new from a highly reputable Guadalajara dealer at a good price. If you are coming to live in Mexico or have family here, live by local rules or choose an alternative place to live.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 8, 2010, 11:52 AM)

Reefhound

Jan 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #7 of 19 (7623 views)

Shortcut

I didn't say anything about what the rules should be. But there's a big difference between requiring the documentation to prove a vehicle sale (or temporary import) is legitimate versus simply not being allowed to do it at all.

She said she was visiting family, not moving there. Sure she could drive the car down there on a temporary import sticker and just leave it. But then she won't be able to cancel the import permit and won't be able to get one again in the future, should she want to drive down for another visit. Speaking of locals, things have a way of getting down with the right greased palms.

Brian

Jan 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #8 of 19 (7622 views)

Shortcut

"By the way, we´ve owned a Mexican purchased and legally plated Nissan ExTrail in this country for six years purchased new from a highly reputable Guadalajara dealer at a good price."

In terms of the cost of a Mexican car versus one say registered in Texas, what has been the yearly tenencia for that ExTrail? TIA

Brian

Hound Dog

Jan 8, 2010, 1:54 PM

Post #9 of 19 (7601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

Well, Brian:

We´ll never compare the cost of a Nissan X-Trail in Texas versus Mexico in 2004 as X-Trails were not sold in the United States in 2004; only something they called an X-Terra which was not in the same class one way or the other. In 2004, the X-Trail cost us $210,000 Pesos including the 16% IVA (or sales tax). This year, the tenencia which translates into what Texans call the annual registration fee that we just paid was $2,741 Pesos or about $225USD at today´s exchange rate. Last year´s tenencia was $3,421 Pesos at a more advantageous currency exchange rate so I would guess that came to about $263USD. So, now tell me what it costs to annually register a car of that value in Texas not that that means anything as the cost of living down here versus Texas is laughably cheap. I would pay property taxes on a $400,000USD home here of $25USD per annum after my 50% senior discount and then I am not stuck in the Texas hellhole. You cannot compare Texas and Chiapas and I can tell you which place comes out on top for any civilized person.

Roll Tide!

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jan 8, 2010, 1:56 PM)

Brian

Jan 8, 2010, 3:33 PM

Post #10 of 19 (7571 views)

Shortcut

It was a simple question. Many people are under the impression that Mexican cars cost more but purchase price isn't the real reason. Tenencia is the annual fee one pays upon purchase of a car and the amount decreases gradually over a period of ten years. I have never owned a Mexican car so didn't know what the actual cost amounts to, hence the question. Texas requires a sales tax and then an annual registration fee which averages about $50 depending upon type of vehicle. Lots of folks living in Mexico prefer to re-register their cars in Texas for convenience and import them in conjunction with their visas. Any other comparisons between Texas and Mexico are gratuitous with respect to the instant discussion.

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 8, 2010, 3:41 PM)

Rolly

Jan 8, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #11 of 19 (7564 views)

Shortcut

"Tenencia is the annual fee one pays upon purchase of a car."

It's a declining annual fee until the car is 10 years old. It is not on the purchase of any car.

Rolly Pirate

Reefhound

Jan 8, 2010, 4:25 PM

Post #12 of 19 (7550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

We don't even know if the OP was talking about a 2008 car worth $15,000 USD or a 1990 worth $500 USD. Perhaps hers is ten years old and thus eligible for import and could be done by her relatives.

How would an equivalent 10 year old car cost in both places. Something sold in both countries.

Papirex

Jan 8, 2010, 4:33 PM

Post #13 of 19 (7544 views)

Shortcut

The tenencia is the same as the annual registration fees paid to renew the registration of a car in any US state. There is an additional tax of 10% levied on all new car purchases, it is pro-rated over a ten year period and is paid at the same time as a annual tenencia is. They are two separate items. The tenencia has nothing to do with the 10% tax on a new car. The value of a new car is set by the government, it is not necessarily what you paid for it. Payment of that extra ten percent tax ends when the car is ten years old, the tenencia goes on for as long as you own the car.

Many ex-pats down here that have never owned a Mexican car confuse the annual tenencia with the extra 10% tax on a new car. An interesting factoid is that the extra 10% tax on new cars was started sometime in the mid 1980s as a temporary tax. It is still with us. Maybe there is a different definition for temporary down here?

We originally brought 2 US registered cars down here. We were able to nationalize them during two different vehicle amnesties at very low cost, although it took about a year to do it for one of our cars. Vehicle amnesties are a very rare occurrence, and there may never be another.

We still have one of those cars, we were never required to pay any extra taxes on either of them,. We replaced the van my wife drives with a new van 4 years ago. We do need to pay the extra tax on it for another 6 years. It is an extra expense, but it is not a show-stopper. Her new Chrysler van cost considerably less in México than a similarly equipped van would have in The US.

For used cars, look around, most of them seem to be priced lower, and generally with less kilometraje (mileage) than comparable used cars in The US.

A good site to check for used cars nationwide is here: http://vehiculos.mercadolibre.com.mx/...moviles-y-camionetas
This site is in Spanish, use a good Spanish-English dictionary if necessary. If you use the Google translator or any other automated translator, you will get some strange results. To convert kilometers to miles, multiply the kilometers by .62 Use an accurate currency converter program to convert the Peso price to Dollars. Most of them are not out-the-door prices, there will most likely be some additional taxes, tenencia (registration) fees, etc.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Marlene

Jan 8, 2010, 5:18 PM

Post #14 of 19 (7533 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps hers is ten years old and thus eligible for import and could be done by her relatives.

But this is not really the way it goes these days, even for trucks. Things changed in 2009 with importing vehicles. It's nearly "mission impossible".

richmx2

Jan 8, 2010, 5:32 PM

Post #15 of 19 (7526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

Maybe there is a different definition for temporary down here?

No doubt different than the "temporary" surcharge on long distance telephone service during World War I... that stayed in place for the next 90+ years?

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

esperanza

Jan 8, 2010, 9:14 PM

Post #16 of 19 (7492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

Or the 'temporary' tenencia, instituted in 1968 to help pay for Mexico's '68 Olympics--and which continues to this day.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Papirex

Jan 8, 2010, 10:09 PM

Post #17 of 19 (7483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

You are right Esperanza. I now remember reading an article about it some years ago. I couldn't remember what year it was, but I now remember it was to help pay for the '68 Olympic games in México City.

It's only been 42 years, I wonder if they are paid for yet?

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Reefhound

Jan 8, 2010, 10:31 PM

Post #18 of 19 (7478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Info on how to legalize a vehicle in Mexico

But this is not really the way it goes these days, even for trucks. Things changed in 2009 with importing vehicles. It's nearly "mission impossible".

Tell us how it changed. I thought it changed from ten years or older to exactly ten years.

Marlene

Jan 9, 2010, 8:16 AM

Post #19 of 19 (7452 views)

Shortcut

There is a thread here where I posted the experience of a friend who imported one recently, not knowing about the new regulations. (He has imported several vehicles, so knew the process.) He discovered what we had heard from someone on Mexconnect, that it is nearly impossible to do now and costs a small fortune aside from the import duties and fees, which has also changed, making it cost prohibitive. He was delayed about 10 or 12 days at the border, family in hotels, eating in restaurants...while they did some sort of background checks on the vehicle to be sure it wasn't stolen and to be sure there have been no major accidents or insurance write-offs.. They assess every dent and ding, and crack, and want anything obvious to be fixed. To say they are discouraging used vehicles being permanently imported into Mexico would be an understatement.

There was a person on this forum (who posted here about this) who was assisting people through this process and reported he couldn't really help any longer due to this new turn of events. The thread can be found in the archives.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jan 9, 2010, 8:18 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4