Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jl1

Jan 6, 2010, 1:06 PM

Post #26 of 37 (3608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I agree. I've been driving in the U.S. for 45 years, in every possible kind of locality and never have I been warned not to drive at night. Hound Dog is off the mark. There are many positive things to defend about Mexico and Mexicans. But let's also be realistic about the dangers of driving at night on rural roads.

arbon

Jan 6, 2010, 1:21 PM

Post #27 of 37 (3601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

Can't Post |
"Wis. couple survives carjacking shooting in Mexico"

I have not been able to find out when this "Carjacking" took place (day or night) or if it was on the main road or back road.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brian

Jan 6, 2010, 1:49 PM

Post #28 of 37 (3591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

They seem like normal people..not the sort that would be taking unnecessary risks. Since it mentions a border station between Durango and Chihuahua, I would assume that it ocurred on a major highway. The video doesn't answer your questions but it does at least put a face on the victims. I would think that the Mexican newspaper clipping would lend credence to their story. Doesn't look like an urban legend to me.

http://www.fox11online.com/...ld-mexico-carjacking

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 6, 2010, 2:27 PM)

tepetapan

Jan 6, 2010, 7:59 PM

Post #29 of 37 (3513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

I did spend a little time on searching this story and only found it was reported in the upper midwest. No other news media has picked it up which I find a bit unusual. I also would like to see some links to more local ( to the scene) reports such as Mexico, California, anywhere in the southwest US. With mexico bashing being in vogue, seems a network would be running the story.

ken_in_dfw

Jan 6, 2010, 9:39 PM

Post #30 of 37 (3496 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

Can't Post |
This one is about as local as you're going to get: El Siglo de Durango. And here's another from El Diario in Cd. Juárez.

Both say pretty much the same thing as the original article posted by Jerezano. The one variation of interest I noted was that in both of the Mexican paper's accounts, they indicated that Mr. Thill was shot coming to the aid of Mrs. Thill, who was being threatened by a pistol to the head. The Chicago paper's account said that Mrs. Thill wasn't threatened until after Mr. Thill was shot. ¿Quién sabe?

The other item of interest was a comment made in El Siglo by one viewer who said that they were held up in the same location.

Brian

Jan 7, 2010, 6:07 AM

Post #31 of 37 (3473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tepetapan] Mexico bashing being in vogue

It is unfortunate that there are those who believe that discussing negative aspects of both Mexico and the US is "bashing". A good example of bashing would be trying to persuade people that they shouldn't cross the border from their own country because they will certainly become a victim. No one on this discussion board, that I am aware, has done that. What I find bothersome is the automatic assumption, frequently voiced here, that crime victims must always be assumed to be linked to nefarious activity unless there is overwhelming proof to the contrary. Responding to people who think this way is like responding to the "Birthers". They just don't want to accept the facts and persist in their beliefs despite the evidence.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 7, 2010, 7:05 AM)

Demonio

Jan 8, 2010, 12:31 PM

Post #32 of 37 (3348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

"The first really bad news from Mexico"? I don't know about that jerezano. I spend my time now-a-days between Los Angeles and Ajijic (either driving or flying between the two). The Los Angeles Times routinely publishes horror stories about "innocent" U.S. citizens (I prefer that to the term "Americans") being victimized while in Mexico (here's the latest story). I don't know if it's because of L.A.'s proximity to Mexico or because of its demographics, but we see stories about Mexico all the time and most are not flattering. Heck, they even have a section called "Mexico Under Siege". A lot are drug related, but there are lots that aren't. While the victim of this latest incident appears to be an innocent victim - it also appears it was "wrong place, wrong time" too. That said, I don't remember ever reading a horror story in Mexico about an "innocent" Mexican citizen being victimized in L.A. And, having worked in law enforcement for 26 years in L.A. believe me there are enough stories like that to fill thousands of news publications. We all know crime occurs everywhere, but it's almost as if it's a bigger story if the victim is a U.S. citizen visiting Mexico. Anyway, at least we can discuss such things here. Unlike the other board in Lakeside that is owned and operated by a real estate agency and deletes threads and/or bans anyone who discusses crime or any other topic that may negatively impact their pocket books.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

(This post was edited by Demonio on Jan 8, 2010, 12:43 PM)

garrycouch

Jan 8, 2010, 4:19 PM

Post #33 of 37 (3306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

I believe that the most consistently dangerous thing about driving Mexican roads at night is the often heavy bicycle traffic when all
bicycles have no reflectors, no lights, drivers with dark clothing, and they zip from one side of the road to the other.

Judy in Ags

Jan 8, 2010, 7:33 PM

Post #34 of 37 (3270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

But that's the point...at any given time after the sun sets in the U.S. there are millions driving on country roads, rural highways, Interstates. Unless they get in an accident or pick up up a crazed hitchhiker the overwhelming majority make it to their destination safely. And yet for as long as I can remember I've seen it recommended to not drive in Mexico after dark. Who says that in the U.S.? It may upset Mexicophiles but it's just not a fair comparison to say the U.S. is just as bad. I prefer to think of Mexico and the U.S. as a symbiotic relationship. They need the jobs offered in the U.S., the tourists to come spend money there. We need cheap labor(sad but true), and a beautiful escape from our too ordered existence. Might be simplistic, but it's never really been the U.S. good, Mexico bad, or vice-versa. But there are serious differences between the two, and people who venture north or south of the border should be aware of the negatives as well as the positives. Otherwise we live in a world of propaganda.

Well spoken, Frito.

Sunnyvmx

Jan 9, 2010, 3:53 AM

Post #35 of 37 (3229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

When I was driving 18 wheels as a long haul trucker, the same warning was applied to the indian reservation lands. Do not drive at night. The reason being drunk drivers, wildlife crossing the road, livestock in the road, obstacles and indians in the road wearing dark clothing. These warnings were all true and well taken. Why should they not be just as true of the roads in Mexico and paid heed to accordingly.

Judy in Ags

Jan 9, 2010, 6:10 AM

Post #36 of 37 (3214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

"Retirement isn't for Amateurs"

Great phrase! Maybe "Retirement in Mexico isn't for amateurs" would come even closer. We had gotten our trip to NOB down to once a year (in October). Then John's mom died last week, so we're back up here again. Of course that would happen where ever we are located, but the trip is definitely longer and more complicated coming from Central Mexico.

Demonio

Jan 9, 2010, 10:39 AM

Post #37 of 37 (3174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [garrycouch] Oh! Ouch! ¡Ay! The first really bad news from Mexico

In Reply To

I believe that the most consistently dangerous thing about driving Mexican roads at night is the often heavy bicycle traffic when all bicycles have no reflectors, no lights, drivers with dark clothing, and they zip from one side of the road to the other.

I certainly agree with you Garry that cyclists and pedestrians add significantly to the traffic related problems in Mexico (especially at night). We have to keep in mind though that Mexican traffic laws lean heavily toward protecting them over someone driving a motor vehicle. If an incident like this can have such a profound outcome in the States, imagine the potential consequences of a similar act in Mexico. Be careful people - we're not in Kansas anymore.

PS - Rolly, I played with the quote & editing function and figured it out. Hope you're well.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

(This post was edited by Demonio on Jan 9, 2010, 10:55 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4