Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

tonyburton

Jan 4, 2010, 9:51 AM

Post #1 of 11 (7010 views)

Shortcut

Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Can't Post | Private Reply
The following is a press release about the new book co-authored by Dr. Richard Rhoda and myself, which should be on sale from early next week.

Geo-Mexico provides a comprehensive, up-to-date analysis of modern Mexico from climates to culture, economy to ecosystems, population to politics, transportation to tourism and globalization to gated communities. It is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in Mexico.

The book's publication is the focus of several events:

Monday January 11, 12:30 pm - presentation on “Man and Nature in Mexico” by Burton and Rhoda at the weekly ACA Eco Talks on the back patio of Lake Chapala Society (LCS) in Ajijic. Note this event is on Monday, not the usual Tuesday ACA Eco Talks time slot.

Wednesday January 13th - Burton (with Rhoda) will speak at the Canadian Club meeting at La Nueva Posada in Ajijic, 3 to 6 PM.

Friday January 15th - the two authors will be at the LCS Sala to initiate Dr. Rhoda’s series of ten Friday noon lectures based on the book. Sala space is limited, so interested participants should sign up at the LCS Office.

Saturday January 16th - a formal book signing, with light refreshments, is scheduled at La Nueva Posada from 4 to 6 PM.

The book assesses Mexico’s success in meeting its demographic, economic, and environmental challenges in comparison to other major world countries. Did you realize that Mexico is one of only six world countries which rank in the top 15 worldwide in terms of population, economic production and land area? “Geo-Mexico” is the first book in English for adults specifically about Mexico’s geography for at least 150 years! It utilizes a variety of concepts, models and theories to engage readers in contemporary issues such as development, international migration, urban sprawl, sustainability and hazards like hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes and global warming. “Geo-Mexico” explains Mexico’s growing north-south, urban-rural divide in terms of economic production, income, quality of life, culture, and voting patterns. It traces historical processes behind Mexico’s current patterns of landforms, population, urbanization, transportation, communications, tourism and migration.

Richard Rhoda, PhD Geographer and Ajijic resident since 1999, has directed major development programs in Asia, Africa and Latin America as well as authored a book on development planning. In addition to teaching several university level geography courses and publishing numerous articles in professional journals, Richard has delivered scores of lectures on such topics as modern Mexico, development, urban systems, migration, environment and demography.

Tony Burton is a.... well most of you know who I am!

Geo-Mexico’s thirty easy-to-read chapters (8 pages on average) cover all aspects of Mexico’s geography in surprising depth. The book has more than 100 original maps, graphs and diagrams. Over 50 text boxes highlight illustrative examples and case studies. For example, did you know that Mexico’s Copper Canyon is larger than the USA’s Grand Canyon? or that Mexico’s world renowned poverty program, Oportunidades, is being replicated in New York City? or that current Mexican newborns have excellent odds of living to be 100 or more? Geo-Mexico, which includes complete references, notes, bibliography, and index, is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in Mexico.

Geo-Mexico, which lists at $39.95 in the US, will be available locally for $390 pesos at the following locations:
Ajijic: La Nueva Posada, Libros y Revistas Chapala (Bugambilas Plaza Newsstand), Diane Pearl’s Collection, Lois Cugini’s Opus Boutique and LCS patio;
Jocotepec: Papeleria O’Shea
Guadalajara: Sandi Bookstore.

It should also soon be available in San Miguel de Allende at El Tecolote Bookstore, the Biblioteca gift shop, and Garrison and Garrison Books as well as in Puerto Vallarta at The Book Store.
For further information contact Richard Rhoda, 766-4522, rhodarick@yahoo.com or Tony Burton tonyburton@pacificcoast.com or visit geo-mexico.com

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jan 4, 2010, 2:51 PM)

Rolly

Jan 4, 2010, 10:07 AM

Post #2 of 11 (6993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Congratulation!

¡Congratulación!

¡Felicitación!

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jan 4, 2010, 10:29 AM

Post #3 of 11 (6986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Felicidades, amigo! May 2010 bring you MUCH well-deserved success.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johanson

Jan 4, 2010, 12:27 PM

Post #4 of 11 (6965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

I too would like to add my congratulations from the cold and wet Northwest. It's 7 C here with 1 cm of rain since midnight. Where am I? Splitting my time between The Island (Vancouver) and Seattle.

I wish you great success.

tonyburton

Jan 6, 2010, 8:22 AM

Post #5 of 11 (6870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Thanks to each of you - hope to see you, and everyone else, next week if you're in Ajijic/Chapala. We're looking forward to some warmth and sunshine after lots of cool, wet weather here on Vancouver Island.

Rolly

Jan 6, 2010, 8:41 AM

Post #6 of 11 (6862 views)

Shortcut

Re: Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Tony was kind to give me an advance copy of the book which I am now reading. I find it very interesting. I think it is a "must read" for anyone interested in understanding the México we live in.

Thank you, Tony.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jan 6, 2010, 12:18 PM

Post #7 of 11 (6840 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks to each of you - hope to see you, and everyone else, next week if you're in Ajijic/Chapala. We're looking forward to some warmth and sunshine after lots of cool, wet weather here on Vancouver Island.

Tony, if you're looking for warmth and sunshine, you'd better bring it with you. The weather forecast for the Central Highlands is calling for highs hovering around 60° Fahrenheit and lows as chilly as 35°, with cloud cover the whole time. Judy and I were in Ajijic yesterday till about 2PM and were actually colder than we've been in Morelia! Of course, when we got home last night we discovered that the low here was to be just about 32°F! The sun hasn't shown its face all day today, either.

Sunny Mexico? Yikes, not right now where you'll be!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 6, 2010, 3:09 PM)

tonyburton

Jan 6, 2010, 12:23 PM

Post #8 of 11 (6839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

I'll bring it with me (as always...)
Tony

johanson

Jan 6, 2010, 12:54 PM

Post #9 of 11 (6829 views)

Shortcut

To get a feeling of what the weather is like down there go to http://www.chapalaweather.net/ . The temperatures posted there always seem to be a little cooler than where I live a few miles to the West and higher up on the hills/mountains surrounding the lake.

Why do I say "down there" when I refer to Lake Chapala? Because I'm up North until Monday, not too far from Tony. At least it's not raining today and when looking North I get the feeling the sun is out North of Mount Baker, Wa.

Papirex

Jan 6, 2010, 6:02 PM

Post #10 of 11 (6811 views)

Shortcut

The temperature outside right now at 8 PM in the actual middle of the country central highlands, not the western central highlands, is 17º C. that is 62.6º F. It´s cool, but a long way from cold. That's our low for the day, not our high.

Me and the dogs are comfortable. Of course they cheat a little, they are wearing their fur coats all winter.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

tonyburton

Jan 10, 2010, 4:28 PM

Post #11 of 11 (6725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Ajijic Book launch: Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico.

Quite nice here in Ajijic today! Temperatures slightly cool for time of year, but pleasantly warm in the SUN and YES, it has been SUNNY all day - beautiful blue sky... what a nice change from BC winter!!

ACA talk about "Man and Nature in Mexico" is at 12:30 pm tomorrow Monday if anyone hasn't yet heard and wants to attend. Hope to see you there, and please spread the word.

My talk on Wednesday to the Canadian Club is entirely different - about the significance of 2010 in Mexico, with looks back to 1810 and 1910 and some predictions for next 30 years or so.

Now have copies of the new book in hand, and, though I say it myself, the printer (in Guadalajara) did a great job. For a brief extract, about water, with illustrations, please see the latest addition to our home-page: http://mexconnect.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4