Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

RonMader

Dec 31, 2009, 9:38 AM

Post #1 of 13 (7918 views)

Shortcut

What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

Can't Post | Private Reply
With my new iPod touch, I'm downloading the application programs. What are your favorite Mexico-specific aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

johanson / Moderator

Dec 31, 2009, 9:51 AM

Post #2 of 13 (7914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

Gee I would really like to answer, but one year ago darn it, my iTouch was stolen. What I liked best was telling my older techi friends, especially those who pretend to know everything, that it was an iPhone and asking them to show me how to take a picture with it.

(An iPhone has the same dimensions except that it is a little thicker. An owner of an iTouch or iPhone immediately knows the difference and knows that the iPhone not the iTouch takes pictures) At least that was so last year.

cristalhombre

Dec 31, 2009, 1:46 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

Shazam

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Rolly

Dec 31, 2009, 2:22 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

http://www.shazam.com/...eb/pages/iphone.html

Rolly Pirate

cristalhombre

Dec 31, 2009, 4:30 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

"Sobre Shazam"

I am a HUGE music fan that's why I like this application.

Last Spring while attending a Tlaquepaque language school for 10 days, my host family matriarch (middle 80's - great cook) asked if I would like to attend the Friday night concert in the zocolo with her. I agreed and we went. The plaza was packed that chilly evening in February, but the music was HOT - HOT - HOT! The progressive-mariachi/ranchero (not sure I know the difference) band quite famous in Jalisco was very spunky and entertaining! Impressed with the lead singer (sounding like Vincente Fernandez), a musician I enjoy - I asked Señora Alecia, my host, the name of the group. She "knew" of them......... "pero no ofreció nombre".

Enter Shazam. Took the I-phone out of my pocket. Opened the Shazam ap - held up the phone and within 45 seconds the application via wi-fi had identified the group and the actual song that was playing. Of course my host abuela was stunned with this technology. I am too!

You tech guys know how this works better than me, but I understand the phone listens to the music, digitizes the audio and compares that to a data-bank of other MP3 files stored somewhere in cyberspace - once it is matched, it sends you anything + everything you could ever want to know about a song and the band. Other links tell you future shows and engagements, their latest CD and you can buy it on the spot. Mr. Apple - Steve Jobs and his clever revenue stream called I-tunes - fast at work!

I saved the link for the band and when I returned to the USA I found more of their music on Limewire (file sharing) and now I have it.

I use many of the SmartPhone applications. Shazam is the one I have used in MX along with Google Maps most frequently. Oh yes the language translator too.

Trust me you will be BLOWN away by this device, however be wary of the supplantation of grey matter between your ears.

Never thought I would carry my brain in my pocket - but I do now - 24/7.

I'll use it tonight for the New Years Eve "Pink Martini" concert at the Schnitz Concert Hall in Portland - it will tell me the available parking capacity (in real time) of all the city garages downtown called "Smart Park" - don't have to drive around looking for "available parking" - also Google maps will tell me of backups on the freeway. Ski/snow conditions for Mt Hood tomorrow - the options are endless.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

(This post was edited by cristalhombre on Dec 31, 2009, 4:34 PM)

Brian

Jan 11, 2010, 8:11 AM

Post #6 of 13 (7794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

Don't forget the great internet radio applications such as WunderRadio, Pocket Tunes, TuneIn Radio etc. All you need is an internet connection such as wifi to listen for hours. Cost of using a cellphone data plan in Mexico or other countries outside of the USA, however, would be shockingly expensive.

For strictly music, rather than talk shows and news, checkout Pandora and Slacker radio.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 11, 2010, 8:13 AM)

joaquinx

Jan 11, 2010, 8:30 AM

Post #7 of 13 (7789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

In Reply To
Cost of using a cellphone data plan in Mexico or other countries outside of the USA, however, would be shockingly expensive.
Brian

It is more expensive, but not shockingly. My 40usd Mexican plan for my Blackberry would cost 30usd in the US. iPhone would be simular.

My favorite app is CNBC with real-time stockmarket reports.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Brian

Jan 11, 2010, 9:17 AM

Post #8 of 13 (7778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] What are your favorite aps for the iPod and iPod touch?

The US IPhone data plan is $30 per month and is unlimited. This is very important when using streaming apps such as the radio and music apps I referenced. I just checked and I am averaging over 350MB of data per month by docking my IPhone in a charger with speakers and listening to music and news as well as GPS navigation. Can you please check your bill and see if you also get unlimited data usage? I think TelCel offers different tiers which increase in cost. What would 350MB of data usage cost with your plan? TIA

Brian

joaquinx

Jan 11, 2010, 9:25 AM

Post #9 of 13 (7770 views)

Shortcut

Telcel offers 30 days of data service for 500 pesos. There is not limit on the amount. After 3GB of data transfer, the speed is reduced to 128KB.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Brian

Jan 11, 2010, 9:32 AM

Post #10 of 13 (7763 views)

Shortcut

Yep, I just checked.

US senior plan 500 minute talk + unlimited data = $70USD

TelCel 600 minute talk + unlimited data = $115USD

If I were still in Mexico, l would consider that to be way worth it. The IPhone is such a multifunctional tool that it can serve as phone, entertainment center, internet device and navigational tool

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 11, 2010, 9:35 AM)

joaquinx

Jan 11, 2010, 10:05 AM

Post #11 of 13 (7753 views)

Shortcut

I am not too sure where you got the Telcel cost, however, what I do every month is this: I go and buy 500 pesos worth of time and depending on the current offer, I get 900 to 1000 pesos credit. 500 of this goes to my 30 day data purchase and the rest for telephone calls and sms. I do not use Telcel for long distance, rather Skype.
_______

Brian

Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 AM

Post #12 of 13 (7742 views)

Shortcut

Here it is:

http://www.telcel.com/iphone/planes.html

Brian

joaquinx

Jan 11, 2010, 10:59 AM

Post #13 of 13 (7733 views)

Shortcut

Oops, it appears that we are talking apples and oranges. Your talking iPhone and I'm talking Blackberry. Telcel doesn't have a plan for the Blackberry that is similar to the iPhone plan. I believe it is because of the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). I do have an iPod Touch which I use as wifi computer and for Skype while in casa.
_______

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4