Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

babycakes

Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5794 views)

Shortcut

Need a Break from D.F. where should we go?

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband will be off work the first week of January and we need to escape from this big city! We want to go camping.. some place WARM!!
Some place that is relaxing and isn't full of people! Also, baby friendly as we'll be taking our little 5 month old with us.
Maybe a beach.. or I've seen some canyons on T.V. that look like an awesome place to visit.
Here are some places we've already been:
Guadalajara, Hidalgo chico, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca City, Palenque, Cancun/Isla de Mujeres

Some places we've considered: Colima, San Cristobal de las Casas, and the canyon we think is nearby Villahermosa?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

Anonimo

Dec 27, 2009, 4:47 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [babycakes] Need a Break from D.F. where should we go?

It's difficult to say whether a congenial place will have lots of people or not.
Undoubtedly, crowds will reduce after Christmas week.

We enjoyed the Grutas y Balneario de Tolantongo, about 30 miles east of Ixquilmilpan, HGO. However, we stayed in the terraced hotel along the canyon side but there is camping, below on the shores of the warm river. They will even rent you camping equipment. hat was in late April, two years ago. The weather in the canyon was very warm during the day.

The only somewhat negative thing I have to say is that there are too many separate fees: General Admission per day, parking per day, and hotel and camping fees. I also note that development has proceeded apace since we were there in April, 2007, and the results may not please all tastes.
http://www.grutastolantongo.com.mx/

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Dec 27, 2009, 4:34 PM)

Hound Dog

Dec 27, 2009, 5:16 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5763 views)

Shortcut

My husband will be off work the first week of January and we need to escape from this big city! We want to go camping.. some place WARM!!

Some places we've considered: Colima, San Cristobal de las Casas, and the canyon we think is nearby Villahermosa?

There is nothing warm about San Cristóbal de Las Casas in January at 7,000 feet although you may very well experience beautiful if somewhat bracing weather. In that area I would suggest the charming low-altitude town of Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas on the Grijalva River. From there you can visit the Sumidero Canyon by boat and it´s a short drive up the autopista to San Cristóbal to see that interesting old colonial town if you are having good weather.

The Gulf Coast of Veracruz State is pretty close to the city and places such as Tlacotalpan, The Tuxtlas and Lake Catemaco are great places to visit and should be warm in January if your luck is with you.

We´re planning a trip about that time to the Maya ruins at Calakmul and then on to Bacalar and perhaps Xcalak in the Caribbean. Nice and warm in those places.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 31, 2009, 8:39 AM)

jl1

Dec 30, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5667 views)

Shortcut

If you do decide on a beach, check out the beach campground in Sayulita. I pass it a couple of times a day while walking my little dog, and I must say the resident campers seem like the happiest crowd in town. I've spoken to a number of them and learned that there is a full range of accomodations, from parking your own camper or trailer, to small palapas with the basics for a comfortable campsite, such as electricity and water, provided. There are usually lots of kids, babies and dogs running around and the place just has a really good vibe to it. There are many restaurants within easy walking distance, from taco stands to a few that are comparable to high-end places in Vallarta, but with a much more relaxed atmosphere. The campground is on the beach, but is very shady, as the land was originally part of a coconut plantation. A great source of entertainment is just sitting on the beach and watching the surfers catch one perfect wave after another. The ocean there can be a little rough, but there is a gentler, "swimming beach" about a ten minute walk away, an amazing little cove with one of the most beautiful little beaches I've ever seen. I don't have any contact info, but go to one of the Sayulita websites and just ask for it. I hope this helps.

babycakes

Dec 31, 2009, 5:37 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Need a Break from D.F. where should we go?

Thanks for the recommendation! We will definately be considering that!

babycakes

Dec 31, 2009, 5:40 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Need a Break from D.F. where should we go?

Thanks for clueing me in about Las Casas and the Canyon. I definately want to go there, but probably won't be this trip since we both are looking to relax some place warmer than DF. I hope it's our next trip though!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4