Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

brokenkettle

Dec 30, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 6 (10902 views)

Shortcut

"El Chepe" railroad trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
I wonder if there might be a straightforward manner in which one can buy a ticket on this train WITHOUT signing on for some megatour with the Balderrama people. I have done the journey in the past, and do not need guides, exclusive hotels, etc. We just want to buy tickets in advance, or not even that if it isn't necessary.

Is this a strange request? I have done a search on the 'net, and always get shunted into the "tour" fol-de-rol. No mention of ticket purchases, only hotel reservations, package deals, and the like.

I always get good advice here, and know someone can give me a "heads up" on the situation. We would like to board the train in El Fuerte. We would prefer to take the train in early March.

Thanks in advance to the intrepid soul who would dare to ignore the hotel/tour package folks and give me a simple way to buy a ticket! You will be my hero!

tashby

Dec 30, 2009, 5:18 PM

Post #2 of 6 (10887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brokenkettle] "El Chepe" railroad trip

http://www.chepe.com.mx

The site seems to be down at the moment. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but I sure wouldn't worry about it. I'd just get yourself to El Fuerte and get on the train.

Which reminds me. Did that TAP link work for you?

Have a great trip!

brokenkettle

Dec 30, 2009, 10:58 PM

Post #3 of 6 (10853 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] "El Chepe" railroad trip

Yeah, but your advice to try the airlines led me to finding flights that were a better deal. Appreciate your input very much. So I shouldn't worry about making reservations? Just head for El Fuerte, spend the night, and catch the train? Also, can you tell me what the tickets go for now?

tashby

Dec 31, 2009, 3:48 PM

Post #4 of 6 (10798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brokenkettle] "El Chepe" railroad trip

I haven't done the trip yet! But.....I was researching it in late October. There's an old thread here:

http://www.mexconnect.com/...pper%20canyon;#61728

It has tons of good info in it.

Cheers.

wjinks

Jan 1, 2010, 11:56 AM

Post #5 of 6 (10741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] "El Chepe" railroad trip

Took the trip last april. Purchased tickets that AM. got off the train and did what I wanted for three days. got on the train and went down the tracks! Don't rembur what it cost but made no plans and got along just GREAT! Enjoy!

fugawibill

Jan 3, 2010, 6:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (10663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wjinks] "El Chepe" railroad trip

Was there 3 weeks ago. As I live in Mazatlan, 5 of us drove to El Fuerte, and checked into the Hotel La Choza. The rate for a double room was 600 pesos, and they stored my van for 5 days, no charge. That night was their employee Christmas party, so a good time was had by all. They arrainged for a van to take us to the train, Which is 8 kilometers out of town, for 100 pesos.

The fare for first class was 1,000 pesos to Creel. The best scenery is on the south side of the tain, so you will want seat # 's 1,5,9, etc.. They have a 15 minute stop in Divisidero, and you can grab a taco, but not really enough time to see the view.

In Creel, we stayed at Cabanas Bertis for 250 pesos per room. We had breakfast in the owner's kitchen, arrainged a tour, along with transportation to Posada Barrancas, where we stayed at the Cabanas Diaz Family B & B. The tour included 2 missions, mushroom rock, elephant rock, cave dwelling, trip to a waterfall, and visit to Divisidero.

Cabanas Diaz had horseback trips down in the canyon, but we stayed local, and enjoyed the sunshine. I've forgotten exactly what the charges were, but were under 300 pesos per person, Which included the room with firewood, two meals, and copious amounts of beer.

In the morning, Pepe took us back to Divisidero for some more sightseeing, and shopping. We did not stay there originally, as they wanted 2,200 pesos for a room. Back to the train station and El Fuerte. We got there about 8:00 pm, and the taxi's wanted 200 pesos, so we waited them out until two were left and took us back to the hotel for 150 pesos. We toured the fort in the morning, and then back to Mazatlan. Be sure to wear repellent, as the fort is buggy.

We had no reservations, and totally winged it. I do not think one could have planned it any better, and intend to go back after my other travels are completed, and spend more time off the main drag.

Some pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/fugawibill

(This post was edited by fugawibill on Jan 3, 2010, 6:34 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4