Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

jwander

Dec 28, 2009, 7:12 PM

Post #1 of 5 (9300 views)

Shortcut

Fluenz 2

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone have any experience with the Fluenz 2 Spanish Language tapes ? I recently came across an ad for them. Reviews seemed positive.
Just looking to bolster my poor skills before the big move.

Thanks,

Jeff

mevale

Dec 29, 2009, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 5 (9251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwander] Fluenz 2

I've not used the program, but I've seen their website and the product looks very slick and well produced. It also carries a pretty hefty price tag for all 5 levels.

Just remember that all language programs are basically just an introduction to the language. There is no product on the market that will take you to a level that I would call "fluent". For that to happen I would recommend that when you move to Mexico, subscribe to a Mexican television provider, start reading native materials at an appropriate level, listen to music that you like in Spanish, and most of all, get out there and interact with the locals.

I would check with your local library and see if you can check out the Pimsleur Spanish I, II, and III. If you master all three levels of Pimsleur, that would be an adequate foundation to be able to start with some very basic native materials, and from there it is just a matter of exposure.

Good luck

Peter

Dec 29, 2009, 7:37 AM

Post #3 of 5 (9248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwander] Fluenz 2

I have not seen the Fluenz 2 or heard about them. Anything you do to learn or sharpen your Spanish skill will help but I have found no method that works any magic or any course from any school that gave that "aha!" moment, but every effort you make will continue helping you. It's a long, hard struggle with continuous breakthroughs that will eventually, with perseverance, make you reasonably functional here but no magic in anything I have tried.

By all means, come here to the forums and share your progress, you're not alone. And if you should happen to find something that has that missing element that makes learning Spanish a snap please let us know. Good luck.

La Isla

Dec 29, 2009, 8:32 AM

Post #4 of 5 (9225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Fluenz 2

In Reply To

And if you should happen to find something that has that missing element that makes learning Spanish a snap please let us know.

That's a good tongue-in-cheek comment, Peter! As a professional language teacher (Spanish and English, mostly the latter these days), I would say that there's no way to make learning any language "a snap". To the suggestions made here, I would add finding a private teacher once you've gotten to Mexico. This kind of personalized instruction is great for helping you acquire fluency and correcting any mistakes you might make before they become "fossilized" and impervious to change.

Keyno

Mar 31, 2010, 10:49 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mevale] Fluenz 2

Yes i have and am still using Fluenz 1 and 2. I love the program, much much better than Rosetta Stone. RS was teaching non-use info about, let's say kids jumping off a table, kids under a table. Fluenz teaches you conversations you will have with other adults. And the afterword practical technics are well thought out.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4