Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Georgia

Dec 28, 2009, 10:09 AM

Post #26 of 48 (11124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
There it is: see? the folks in South Dakota are providing us with a valuable service, saving the country money because we don't use Medicare, filling the coffers of Clay County, reducing ex-pat frustration and lowering our blood pressure. Hound Dog, it's all good.

La Isla

Dec 28, 2009, 10:55 AM

Post #27 of 48 (11115 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
There's not much about an American living in Mexico that is NOT complicated.

Not having a car certainly uncomplicates my life...

arbon

Dec 28, 2009, 11:11 AM

Post #28 of 48 (11111 views)

Shortcut

|
"There's not much about an American living in Mexico that is NOT complicated. "

But it was the "Ex-pats" that proposed cohabitation/marriage with Mexico, not the other way around. Eh

Mexico advertises that she would like to see you-all as "Tourists".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Papirex

Dec 28, 2009, 11:45 AM

Post #29 of 48 (11102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply

Yes, some US states have lax laws that make it easier to register cars from afar. My home state of Alaska does not have a statewide requirement for smog inspections because there is no statewide system of interconnected highways and it would be impossible to get a smog inspection in some of the small villages where the few cars and other licensed vehicles must be brought in by air or ship, usually in pieces. Only two cities up there require smog tests, Anchorage and Fairbanks. Insurance is required, but must not be proved when registering a vehicle.

Re-registering a vehicle and having a smog inspection up there is only required every two years and since many older Alaskans leave the state in the winter, “outside waivers” are granted in the two cities that do require smog tests. That exempts a vehicle from local smog inspections, although it is suggested, but not required, that a smog inspection be done in the jurisdiction where the car is located, and a copy of it be sent to the Alaska DMV.

I did renew the Alaska registration on one of our cars down here once. I was able to download and print all the necessary forms including a limited power of attorney and send them to our daughter in Fairbanks, she then did the renewal for us. I quit doing that, it was an exercise in futility, and it seemed that many Mexicans wanted to steal an Alaska license plate as a souvenir.

I did do a lot of research before I started using our daughters address in Fairbanks as our US residence address. The US federal government says it is perfectly legitimate to use an address in The US where a person does not live as a residence address as long as it is not done for purposes of fraud, and no fraud is attempted.

We finally nationalized both of our cars, we replaced one of them and both of the cars we have now are Mexican plated. It is less hassle and cheaper to have Mexican plated cars here. People that haven't done it spread the myths that insurance is higher here and they usually don't understand the extra tax on a newer car when renewing the tenencia every year.

The tenencia is the annual registration. There is an extra tax on a new car when getting the tenencia for the first ten years. There is no extra tax on our oldest car, and my wifes' Newer van is only subject to that tax for another seven years and it is prorated. If you can afford a new, or newer car, the extra tax is something you must factor in to the total cost.

Since I know nothing about the laws of South Dakota I would not assume that the officials in Clay county are violating any of the laws there. Maybe they are, but it would take a thorough examination of the statutes there to be sure.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

frito

Dec 28, 2009, 1:51 PM

Post #30 of 48 (11074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
Excellent point. South Dakota is the 2nd most popular state for fulltime RVers after Texas. Texas is number one primarily due to the Escapees RV Club in Livingston, TX. And both are popular due to no state income tax. There's nothing underhanded about registering in a state that you don't actually live in. If you are on the road fulltime it doesn't matter that you are originally from New York or Iowa. What matters is that you establish a "domicile" in the state of your choice, even if it's just a mailbox at The UPS Store or some such. Escapees has an excellent mail forwarding service. If you wanted them to collect your mail and forward it to you in Mexico I'm betting they'd do it as long as you pay the postage. They certainly will in the States, used to use them. If Clay County will do it without requiring a SD address then they're just being competitive with the counties that require one. And if it's common knowledge that this happens then it must be perfectly legal. Think those other counties losing revenue wouldn't report it if it were illegal? Most likely there are other requirements like getting a drivers license there. So if you are living in Mexico why not establish your domicile in Texas for purposes of registration, mail, drivers license, and voting?

sioux4noff

Dec 28, 2009, 3:50 PM

Post #31 of 48 (11047 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you to all those who replied both here and privately. I have been given the info I needed as well as been quite entertained.

Georgia

Dec 28, 2009, 4:08 PM

Post #32 of 48 (11039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
We have all been entertained as well. Fun on these fora, isn't it?

Hound Dog

Dec 28, 2009, 4:18 PM

Post #33 of 48 (11036 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There it is: see? the folks in South Dakota are providing us with a valuable service, saving the country money because we don't use Medicare, filling the coffers of Clay County, reducing ex-pat frustration and lowering our blood pressure. Hound Dog, it's all good.

Of course corruption is "good" Georgia for those who benefit from it; the problem is that like termites in places such as Mobile and New Orleans and Veracruz and countless places, the Mexican and American termites eat away at the corporate structure so that what you end up with is detritus and a few dung beetles becoming fat off of the waste products of those with initiative robbed of any reward from their endeavors. The opportunistic functionaries in South Dakota are parasites and nothing more. They feed off of the corrupt practices skirting impractical laws that make it impossible for people wishing to elevate the culture in general to obey reasonable laws if they wish to extract necessary financial rewards. You are a kidder Georgia and, therefore an electronic friend. I donīt think for even a minute that you are as cynical as your amusing posture.

OOPS! I just read Georgiaīs comment that came after Dawgīs post and she thinks she one-upped me. I am still in the game, Georgia.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 28, 2009, 4:22 PM)

mazbook1

Dec 28, 2009, 4:37 PM

Post #34 of 48 (11021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
I think I have to agree with frito here. Unless you can quote a statute in S. Dakota that makes what Clay county is doing illegal, I think you should retract your cries of "corruption". That's just pure nonsense. I'm quite certain (because I have, in the past, dealt with a LOT of military personnel that had much the same problem as expats. S. Dakota was their "domicile" of choice for registering their vehicles also. The military had some quite strict regulations about this and if it was not legal, I'm quite certain it would not be tolerated.

Georgia

Dec 28, 2009, 4:38 PM

Post #35 of 48 (11020 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Jessh! Hound Dog: you are missing the point and twisting the facts. As we who live here in Mexico know, corruption consists of the unwilling and unwitting paying money they don't wish to part with in order not to be held up by assorted underpaid police. That is corruption on a local level. Not a commentary on the greater corruption that most of us don't deal with.
Now, let's take a look at Clay County: they provide a service for which its "victimns" willingly pay, happily pay, because the US federal beaurocracy has totally gone over the edge making it impossible to register one's car elsewhere and come and go across the border. It's a public service. Who is hurt? Who, but Hound Dog, complains?

I think it's payback for an overly zealous bunch of political morons who totally ignored the reality of many citizens' lives.

Reefhound

Dec 28, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #36 of 48 (11018 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As others have stated, cite the statute that says what South Dakota is doing is illegal. You make that allegation and then define their behaviour based on the allegation.

I don't have a dog in the hunt and not sure where I stand but I would have to say you bandy about the term "corruption" a bit too broadly. Sounds like some clerk in S.D. is interpreting code in a way to give the people what they want. No one is being coerced into registering with S.D. This isn't comparable at all to the civil servant who uses their position and power to intimidate and shake down people for personal gain.

tashby

Dec 28, 2009, 4:59 PM

Post #37 of 48 (11010 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Thank you to all those who replied both here and privately. I have been given the info I needed

Well, the info you asked for certainly wasn't given here publicly. Is it possible to publish it here, or would that corrupt the thread?

Hound Dog

Dec 28, 2009, 5:21 PM

Post #38 of 48 (11000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
Well, it seems to me that underpaid transit cops exacting "mordida" from motorists on the carretera in order to supplement their meager paychecks is as fine a business venture as poverty stricken Clay County, South Dakota raising municipal revenues contrary to South Dakota law by illegally selling vehical registrations to old fart expats in Mexico. Of course, then, it seems equally appropriate for scam artists to establish phony "colleges" in England so this moron from Nigeria could pretend to go to school there in order to get a British visa to pretend to study there and then board an airplane to Amsterdam and Detroit in order to to blow 279 innocent people to smitherenes in the name of God.

God is Great as the maniac army psychiatrist shouted before he slaughtered eleven unsuspecting people. . He made humans in his image.

Reefhound

Dec 28, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #39 of 48 (10983 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
So how are the mental health services down in Mexico, anyway?

mazbook1

Dec 28, 2009, 6:09 PM

Post #40 of 48 (10974 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Evidently they aren't too good for cranky, expat geezers. LOL

sioux4noff

Dec 28, 2009, 7:54 PM

Post #41 of 48 (10947 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The extortionists in Clay County ask for no extra fee for allowing a person from another state to register their car in SD. So where is the corruption?
A transit cop is asking for something for him or herself personally and outside the law for not writing you a ticket. A transit drivers license office which accepts a mordida for taking your test for you gains personally and is violating the law.
How is Clay County (and other counties from what I've been told) being corrupt and how exactly are people encouraging corruption by legally registering their vehicles in Clay County?

sioux4noff

Dec 28, 2009, 9:04 PM

Post #42 of 48 (10921 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

the info you asked for certainly wasn't given here publicly. Is it possible to publish it here

In short, look at the website, http://www.claycountysd.org and go to the tab for Treasurer's Office. Read what is there and then call the nice folks up in Vermillion. They will answer all your questions, help you fill out the forms, let you know how much to pay, who to make the check to, where to mail it, the whole shee-bang. Or so I was told by the scofflaws who responded to me. ;)

tashby

Dec 29, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #43 of 48 (10886 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the link. We recently let the registration of our Washington State-plated car expire. Wasn't planning on doing anything about it, and don't really need S.D. plates as we don't drive it back and forth across the border. If we ever get the opportunity to Nationalize it, we'll do that. But at some point we may need to drag it back to the US to sell/unload, and wonder if we'll find that impossible to do without some form of current registration.

Blurgh. The US-plated car thing really is a silly-complicated pain in the ass. Fortunately, our mechanic says the 15-year-old Honda still has another 100K miles left in it. So it'll be worth it (I hope!).

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 29, 2009, 8:31 AM)

Hound Dog

Dec 29, 2009, 11:25 AM

Post #44 of 48 (10854 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the link. We recently let the registration of our Washington State-plated car expire. Wasn't planning on doing anything about it, and don't really need S.D. plates as we don't drive it back and forth across the border. If we ever get the opportunity to Nationalize it, we'll do that. But at some point we may need to drag it back to the US to sell/unload, and wonder if we'll find that impossible to do without some form of current registration.

Tashby:

I guess my comment wasnīt clear. You do not need current registration on your U.S. titled car down here - ever. If you do not drive back to the U.S., this is a non-issue. If you do drive to the U.S. follow my guideline for acquiring Texas registration-only plates that require no title transfer and then you can drive about up there with no problem except that, of course, whether you have Texas or South Dakota plates, you still have only liability insurance up there so if your car is stolen of suffers damage from a collision you are screwed.

I would have had no problem selling my California plated vehicle with expired registration except of the inept California DMV which notified Carmax incorrectly that I was delinquent on my registration renewal and even then that would not have been a problem except that Carmax, the large franchised used car dealer, would not accept any controversy since they dealt in volume. As the Texas DMV told me, California has no lien on your car - period. So donīt worry about that.I went back to the Texas DMV and got Texas registration and tags without transferring title from California no sweat and then Carmax bought my car without even a wink.

Some poster responded to my posts saying that it was legal for South Dakota to issue license plates and accept title from folks who have never in their lives set foot in South Dakota. Why donīt you call the South Dakota DMV and ask them if it is legal for Clay County, SD to ignore state rules that South Dakota plates are to be issued only to state residents with proof of residency. I wonīt do that because I have no dog in this hunt and really donīt care and do not wish to cause problems for others so, except for correspondence on this board, I am staying out of this controversy. I only commented here at all in order to point out the hypocrisy of NOBBERS belittling Mexicans for corruption in which they themselves engage repeatedly when it suits them.

Has it never occurred to any of you defending this weakness in the system exploited by one South Dakota county that someone like Timothy MvVeigh could have acquired South Dakota plates before killing all those people with his fertilizer bomb in Oklahoma City if there were no rules governing issuance of license plates without true proof of residency and that today he might still have been among us?

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 29, 2009, 11:35 AM)

Reefhound

Dec 29, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #45 of 48 (10839 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Nice twist. You were the one that made the allegation that it was illegal therefore you are the one with the obligation to provide a reference.

There's no hypocrisy because there's no corruption about it.

Did it ever occur to you that Timothy McVeigh could have simply drove to S.D. or any other state and got a registration plate with a PO Box, or used a false license plate, or used a stolen getaway vehicle, or left on a city bus? I guess we should outlaw buses before some terrorist gets away on one.

Hound Dog

Dec 29, 2009, 1:00 PM

Post #46 of 48 (10816 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Did it ever occur to you that Timothy McVeigh could have simply drove to S.D. or any other state and got a registration plate with a PO Box

I suppose that is possible Reefhound. The last state in the U.S. in which I tried to register legal title to a car was Alabama and they demanded a steet address as opposed to a post office box with proof of residence constituted by a utility bill, a copy of a lease or some other such proof of residence. In Texas when I registered my car they demanded a street address although they were too lazy to realize the street address was an MBE dropoff for Mexico bound mail and I had the feeling I could have simply said "Number One XYZ Street" and gotten a license. Now, I can overcome those restrictions easily if I am clever enough especially since the people they employ in these close-to-minimum-wage security screening jobs arenīt very bright or they would have sought jobs with future potential for advancement.

Just because the front-line people and moronic mid-level bureacrats and Janet Napolitano and her executive assistants at Homeland Security are primarily morons does not make it right that this pussbrain who fit every profile of an assassin got on the airplane and had he not employed a defective explosive device, would nave sent 270 plus people to a horrible death because of bureaucratic ineptitude.

We are all being shined-on. Just accept that because itīs true-

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 29, 2009, 1:02 PM)

tashby

Dec 29, 2009, 1:10 PM

Post #47 of 48 (10810 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

I would have had no problem selling my California plated vehicle with expired registration except of the inept California DMV which notified Carmax incorrectly that I was delinquent on my registration renewal....

Aaaaah. Thanks for clearing that up. Unless the Washington DMV pulls a similar stunt, we have no reason to register it then. I had researched the pros and cons of bringing it down pretty thoroughly before we came and finally decided to bring it. It's too good a car. I knew then and know now that at some point we'll have to figure out the easiest way for us to legally unload it either back in the States or down here if a legal work-around can be found. It'll be a pain when the time comes, to be sure, but our plan has always been to drive it into the dust and since it's a Honda, who knows, it might just outlast us. So far it's been a good decision. It's a great Mexico car. (Whoops! Another ding!)

Rolly

Dec 29, 2009, 1:37 PM

Post #48 of 48 (10804 views)

Shortcut

Re: South Dakota car registration

| Private Reply
This thread seems to have run its course.

Some think the service offered by the folks in SD is great; some don't; and some think the whole discussion has turned into a tempest in a teapot.

Time to move on.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4